Author Topic: Sending to Wrong Name  (Read 7065 times)

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
So a couple of weeks ago I registered a few misspelled vesions of "btercom" in a stroke of insight as bter take deposits to that address.

At the time I rationalized the squatting-action thinking it would be better for a person of some reputation in this community to take the names,
rather than giving up this insight to people who might try to profit from the mistake of some poor soul and the foolishness of bter judgement.

Well today just now.. Someone actually sent me 100 000 BTSX.

This of course is exactly what I and all the other cold blooded squatters of bter-like account names realized would happen.

Naturally, being the awesome guy that I am I sent it all back :D

tl;dr: I am a vain hero who fights squatters with squatting.

A couple of weeks ago I registered a misspelled version of "bter" also, but my story is longer and is the result of mistakes/faults of several parties (me  being the main one to blame).

If any of you remember bter first published public key and not an address for deposits.
Being the stupid me I try sending to the key, but as one would expect it did not work. So I read the forums and learned that I have to have local account. So, I decided what better name for bter deposit account than 'bter-deposit'. So I chose that. The next thing I tried sending money to this local account - no luck, the client kept changing the name to 'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa' (hint - guess who's account is that).

Fairly aggravated, I came to the 'brilliant' idea that maybe if I register it, it might just work (stupid I know!).Plus what is to loose if it does not work I will just delete it... You can guess the end of the story... The system does not include such a feature (yet)....

So due to my stupidity, bter registering  account names with questionable value and the system missing some basic functionality ('No, deleting account names is not basic? OK, the system missing advanced functionality, as deleting account names for example") you have me 'owning' this account.

Now the important part - If you send to that address by mistake - either PM me or post in the forum! I do not have the said account in my active wallet anymore! If you make a mistake I will have to find the back up and import it in my current wallet!

So, in short , I can not claim high character as CLains  - I am squatting because I can not stop  squatting

Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline Riverhead

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
*confirmed* ... awesome guy :)

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
So a couple of weeks ago I registered a few misspelled vesions of "btercom" in a stroke of insight as bter take deposits to that address.

At the time I rationalized the squatting-action thinking it would be better for a person of some reputation in this community to take the names,
rather than giving up this insight to people who might try to profit from the mistake of some poor soul and the foolishness of bter judgement.

Well today just now.. Someone actually sent me 100 000 BTSX.

This of course is exactly what I and all the other cold blooded squatters of bter-like account names realized would happen.

tl;dr: I am a vain hero who fights squatters with squatting.