Author Topic: Question about seed funds and account registration (BTSX)  (Read 2762 times)

Offline bytemaster

Good stuff, xeroc. That is the info I was looking for  :)

It still appears, however, that it should be wise to wait for the current gui to be updated before I attempt to import any private keys

Note... if you import a key for an existing account you may have to rescan the blockchain.     Everything should work with the procedure laid out here + full rescan. 
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline CryptoPrometheus

• View Profile
Good stuff, xeroc. That is the info I was looking for  :)

It still appears, however, that it should be wise to wait for the current gui to be updated before I attempt to import any private keys
"Power and law are not synonymous. In fact, they are often in opposition and irreconcilable."
- Cicero

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
1. The first thing the gui wallet asks after I install it onto a computer is
for a password (to be used to unlock the wallet). Is that password just for
encryption of the wallet itself? In other words, if I dump_private_key for an
account, will that private key then be unencrypted or "naked", so that when I
import_private_key into the new wallet, I won't have to enter the old wallet
password every time I want to access the account in the new wallet? Sorry if
this sounds really basic, but I am just trying to solidify my understanding of
the basic protocol drawing from my (limited) understanding of BTC qt., etc.
The Passphrase has nothing to do with the private keys .. the wallet consists
of one wallet-master key .. that is chosen by random ... the passphrase
encrypts it .. all account keys are derived from the wallet master key

The dumped private keys are NAKED unencrypted .. store them safely!!
Old wallet passphrases do not protect the naked uncrypted private key.

2. Is there a way to change the password used to encrypt/unlock the wallet?
Seems not to be the case .. yet

3. Tonyk mentions "key pairs" in this post:   https://184.154.208.204/index.php?topic=7049.msg93891#msg93891
Does that just mean *Private/public* key, or is there more than one private/or/public key associated with each account?
Is there a new/additional private key created every time a transaction is made with an account?
If so, what is the process to ensure that all transactions/private keys are
accounted for and properly transferred when exporting/importing an existing
account into a new wallet?
The private/key pairs in TITAN are derived from the account private key (the
one you exported). You need ONLY backup that particular to backup your whole
account name.

And yes .. everytime s.o. sends funds to you .. a new address/pubkey is created
that is derived from the public key of your account. You wallet knows the
private key of it and can derive the corresponding private keys of the transactions.

This single key is your KEY TO THE NAME .. !! backup it up .. and you are safe!

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

3. Tonyk mentions "key pairs" in this post:   https://184.154.208.204/index.php?topic=7049.msg93891#msg93891
Does that just mean *Private/public* key, or is there more than one private/or/public key associated with each account?
I meant Public/Private keys. Another warning in TITAN it is more important than BTC to also save your Public keys
Is there a new/additional private key created every time a transaction is made with an account?
I think so.
Those are the only questions of yours, I have some clue what the answer is.
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline CryptoPrometheus

• View Profile
Hey guys, I know that all the info I am asking for will eventually be forthcoming, with future versions of the gui being more user friendly, etc., but if you have a moment I was hoping to clarify a couple other issues regarding structure/setup of the current gui wallet:

1. The first thing the gui wallet asks after I install it onto a computer is for a password (to be used to unlock the wallet). Is that password just for encryption of the wallet itself? In other words, if I dump_private_key for an account, will that private key then be unencrypted or "naked", so that when I import_private_key into the new wallet, I won't have to enter the old wallet password every time I want to access the account in the new wallet? Sorry if this sounds really basic, but I am just trying to solidify my understanding of the basic protocol drawing from my (limited) understanding of BTC qt., etc.

2. Is there a way to change the password used to encrypt/unlock the wallet?

If so, what is the process to ensure that all transactions/private keys are accounted for and properly transferred when exporting/importing an existing account into a new wallet?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 06:01:34 pm by crypto_prometheus_81 »
"Power and law are not synonymous. In fact, they are often in opposition and irreconcilable."
- Cicero

Offline CryptoPrometheus

• View Profile
Cool, thanks xeroc.
And Thanks for the warning Tonyk. I will keep an eye on that thread to see how this is resolved.
- Cicero

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
got it .. you can do with the GUI

Step by Step:

1) go to the wallet you want to transfer/import to your main wallet
2) get the account-key of the account you want to transfer (account->advanced)
3) copy that account-key CTL-C
4) go to the console and type:
Code: [Select]
wallet_dump_private_key INSERT-OUR-ACCOUNT-KEY-HERE
and copy the returned string .. should start with "5...." (keep that one secure -- it is the only thing you need to access the funds)

5) go to your main wallet
6) enter the console and type:
Code: [Select]
wallet_import_private_key INSERT-OUR-PRIVATE-KEY-HERE
7) press enter
9) done

Offline CryptoPrometheus

• View Profile
Ok, I will be patient
Thanks again for your help!
- Cicero

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Thanks xeroc.

I have a quick followup question:

I have a wallet with a registered account on one computer (win 7). I have a different wallet with a different registered account on another computer (win 7). I want to be able to access the account/funds of the first wallet/computer from the second wallet/computer. So I guess you could say I need to know how to "import" an existing registered account into a new wallet. What is the quickest and easiest way to do this? I am not code literate so I need either a step by step, or to be pointed in the direction of an existing step by step (if there is one?)

THanks!
Acctually you can do it .. but the GUI currently does not allow it yet .. (optioned disabled/grayed out) ... the bitshares-core can do this .. but I am not so familiar with the GUI yet ... Give the devs some time and make sure you have a backup of the wallets ..

Offline CryptoPrometheus

• View Profile
Thanks xeroc.

I have a quick followup question:

I have a wallet with a registered account on one computer (win 7). I have a different wallet with a different registered account on another computer (win 7). I want to be able to access the account/funds of the first wallet/computer from the second wallet/computer. So I guess you could say I need to know how to "import" an existing registered account into a new wallet. What is the quickest and easiest way to do this? I am not code literate so I need either a step by step, or to be pointed in the direction of an existing step by step (if there is one?)

THanks!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 03:17:29 pm by crypto_prometheus_81 »
- Cicero

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
when registering a name you need to define an account from where the fees are payed from .. at least thats how it works under the hood .. not sure how the GUI handles it ..

you can also go to the console and try
help wallet_account_register
to see how it works ..

Offline CryptoPrometheus

• View Profile
I have multiple BTSX wallets I am trying to set up for family members. Can I seed fund each wallet with funds from the previous wallet?

In other words, can funds be sent from a registered address to a public key, or is there some other process that needs to be done to transfer seed funds?

I tried to seed the wallets by posting multiple public keys on the "seed funds" thread, but I was politely asked "why I needed to register again?"  :)
- Cicero