Author Topic: Public Marketing Fund(PMF) ideas, lets spitball  (Read 4030 times)

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
  • BitShares: gentso
Yea now is a exciting time to talk anyways

What time zones are you guys in, Lets set a time.......first drink is on me

Offline fuzzy

Let's set it up for after the hangout tomorrow.  I didn't notice I had gotten such a response...i've been in the mumble server talking to Jabba all night! :P
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I'll probably be there at the upcoming hangout ... may bring some champaign :)

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
the more the better. 
us east coast time here where is everyone else located. 
If we can't make it happen tonight we can do it 8/22

Offline soniq

• View Profile
would like to join, but  depends on time?
Pr7V9GUm59dtKWXG6RJSymPsyCaCKWwNEj
Soniq on Bitcointalk -- Verified
Bitshares btsx:soniq

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 10:49:15 pm by TheOnion »
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
Can we have a little community hangout to chat about this later tonight?  I think we need to form a task force of the people who have most actively been advocating Bitshares from the very beginning.  This way we know who is in it through thick and thin.  We can get a great deal done.

I am in

Offline fuzzy

Can we have a little community hangout to chat about this later tonight?  I think we need to form a task force of the people who have most actively been advocating Bitshares from the very beginning.  This way we know who is in it through thick and thin.  We can get a great deal done.
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
Ok, so

7 - possibly blogs about certain legal areas etc.
8 - need to hire cheap translators and a few key spots to spam.

So basically we need to hit 1, 2, and 3.

Thoughts?

Here is a copy and paste of the demographics list that gamey had going in his thread. Lets try to come up with ideas and throw out what demographics we believe they will appeal too.

Quote from: gamey on August 14, 2014, 12:28:27 AM

1) Day traders and traders in general.  These aren't guys that will sit on BTSX and wait for it to appreciate.  These are the people that are needed for this grand experiment work.  There has to be countless forums etc where active traders congregate.  From FOREX to traditional stock exchanges.  The idea would be to get a few people started with hopefully smaller amounts.  If they talk more about using it, then the more it will row.  These are not crypto people or those who have an strong distrust in USD.  These are guys already playing a similar game and we want to migrate them to Bitshares X. 

Best choice for resources

2) (Precious metal people)  People who distrust USD and wish for a hedge.  The main problem I see is that these people also do not trust crypto.  They're also preparing for the end of the world type scenarios, so this makes the distrust even more strong as BTSX will scare some people.  These people don't trust the  government so TITAN can be pushed as a feature.

This is ok if you can determine how to target this demographic.  You basically want the crypto equivalent of gold/silver people. 

3) Crypto people.  I think these are the people we'll get by default with the current marketing (at least what I am aware of).  It will be basically people we take from BTC or NXT, etc.  Think Bitcointalk and reddit.

Continue with current reddit/bitcointalk approaches.

4)Businesses that will adopt bitUSD or BTSX as payment.  There is also the sub-demographic of people serving a consultant/integrator role.
That will be a hard sale without more widespread adoption, but at some point would be very key.  Someone running a crypto-store might see the usefulness of BTSX before others, much like what happened with BTC.  :o

A market/bizarre would be good.  A strange and questionable area but TITAN with bitassets is huge.  Really hard to target mainstream guys yet except faster block times mean better point of sale workflow.  BTSX needs wider adoption.  Perhaps there are specialized roles that BTSX is particularl suited for ..  money exchangers/remittance ?

5) people/companies that want to manage their own stock/shares on a blockchain

Also hard to target these people.  Not useful.  THey're also a subset of crypto

6) all merchants that already accept FIAT and see the future in blockchain tech

These people would be rare.  Subset of crypto.  Not useful 

7)People that are privacy minded.  - We could look at the users of BTC predecessors for ideas.  There are services that existed previous to BTC that have come and gone.  The users of these types of services could be interested in things such as BitUSD and TITAN.

Hard to target any of these people.  In fact not sure if we want to.  I think the clue here is to hype TITAN in certain areas.  [/b]

8)People in countries that seem likely to outlaw crypto-currencies.  TITAN could be seen as a tool to fight fascist oppression.
It would be nice to have a Russian perspective?  I understand though not much in crypto going on in Russia.  Koreans?  Tons of room here, but requires real hiring.  We can get cheap translations done and post them on forums.

9) Payment Processors from around the globe.  Wine & dine them, if you get them to buyin it would be golden.
This is fine if you can find someone to execute this plan without a huge expense.  Not useful

10) Investors !  We sometimes get all caught up and forget these things.
Basically just crypto people.  Invstors who have not already invested in crypto are not going straight to Bitsahres X.  So this becomes equivalent crypto people or #3

11) Students and professors.  (What type of students?  Economics students?  Who will love the market peg? )
 Not sure how students are distinctive.  They don't have a lot of money.   Having professors talk about Bitshares X would be great, but..  Very difficult.  Not useful

group 3 -crypto people should be the easiest to reach and probably one of the cheapest. It can be done with traditional blanket the forums with sig's and ad space being bought. In my opinion with the staggering growth that is currently happening most of the crypto world will likely take notice on their own. I am not even sure if we should really spend much time marketing to a group that is being hit with the freight liner that is bitshares. Blogs will be written reports will be made without even spending a dime.

group 2 -Their are many well know precious metal sites that we could try to check prices on ad space but this group might be a tough nut to crack. I talked toa friend last night that would be what I would describe as you typical precious metal type. He is has a median income steady job, distrust of the government and a college degree. He buys gold and silver in small amounts over a long period of time to hedge the dollar. He is distrustful of technology in general. I tried to explain the pros and cons of digital vs gold in hand and had him agreeing and asking questions at various points. At the end it came down to the fact that  he wants to have something that he can hold. I think many in this group will have some of the same arguments. With that being said if we can find  a merchant/gateway that would exchange gold/silver for bitGLD and bitSLV that will go a long way.  Perhaps the way to go here is to entice a reputable merchant of gold and silver and convince them then go after the market.

group 1 -We are in total agreement on this group, they are a must have. Big and small alike we need traders to use the system for it to REALLY work.  I would really like to target this group first as I feel it has the most to gain. Not just you multi-million dollar fund manager's but just your home user's useing, TD ameritrade, Fidelity, T Roweprice.  http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/investing/best-online-brokers/trading-forex-commodities/ . This is the first site that comes up when searching for trading commodities online. I believe It may be a nice jumping off point to get in touch with them explain what we are doing and how we can save there user's money in fees.  Hopefully the result will be a well written article where one of our economically savvy team  members can make our case. 

Getting in touch and doing Q and A with sites that these people frequent in the hopes that they will write a article might be a exciting nearly free way to do this. The piece could come out bashing or praising Bitshares but it is still what I like to a Jack Sparrow moment

The trick with group 1 is that they probably have some money and well money likes to hang around other money. So the real question is how do WE with little money available reach them in low cost effective ways. 

« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 09:51:15 pm by Gentso1 »

Offline gamey

• View Profile
Ok, so

7 - possibly blogs about certain legal areas etc.
8 - need to hire cheap translators and a few key spots to spam.

So basically we need to hit 1, 2, and 3.

Thoughts?

Here is a copy and paste of the demographics list that gamey had going in his thread. Lets try to come up with ideas and throw out what demographics we believe they will appeal too.

1) Day traders and traders in general.  These aren't guys that will sit on BTSX and wait for it to appreciate.  These are the people that are needed for this grand experiment work.  There has to be countless forums etc where active traders congregate.  From FOREX to traditional stock exchanges.  The idea would be to get a few people started with hopefully smaller amounts.  If they talk more about using it, then the more it will row.  These are not crypto people or those who have an strong distrust in USD.  These are guys already playing a similar game and we want to migrate them to Bitshares X. 

Best choice for resources

2) (Precious metal people)  People who distrust USD and wish for a hedge.  The main problem I see is that these people also do not trust crypto.  They're also preparing for the end of the world type scenarios, so this makes the distrust even more strong as BTSX will scare some people.  These people don't trust the  government so TITAN can be pushed as a feature.

This is ok if you can determine how to target this demographic.  You basically want the crypto equivalent of gold/silver people. 

3) Crypto people.  I think these are the people we'll get by default with the current marketing (at least what I am aware of).  It will be basically people we take from BTC or NXT, etc.  Think Bitcointalk and reddit.

Continue with current reddit/bitcointalk approaches.

4)Businesses that will adopt bitUSD or BTSX as payment.  There is also the sub-demographic of people serving a consultant/integrator role.
That will be a hard sale without more widespread adoption, but at some point would be very key.  Someone running a crypto-store might see the usefulness of BTSX before others, much like what happened with BTC.  :o

A market/bizarre would be good.  A strange and questionable area but TITAN with bitassets is huge.  Really hard to target mainstream guys yet except faster block times mean better point of sale workflow.  BTSX needs wider adoption.  Perhaps there are specialized roles that BTSX is particularl suited for ..  money exchangers/remittance ?

Also hard to target these people.  Not useful.  THey're also a subset of crypto

These people would be rare.  Subset of crypto.  Not useful 

7)People that are privacy minded.  - We could look at the users of BTC predecessors for ideas.  There are services that existed previous to BTC that have come and gone.  The users of these types of services could be interested in things such as BitUSD and TITAN.

Hard to target any of these people.  In fact not sure if we want to.  I think the clue here is to hype TITAN in certain areas.  [/b]

8)People in countries that seem likely to outlaw crypto-currencies.  TITAN could be seen as a tool to fight fascist oppression.
It would be nice to have a Russian perspective?  I understand though not much in crypto going on in Russia.  Koreans?  Tons of room here, but requires real hiring.  We can get cheap translations done and post them on forums.

9) Payment Processors from around the globe.  Wine & dine them, if you get them to buyin it would be golden.
This is fine if you can find someone to execute this plan without a huge expense.  Not useful

Basically just crypto people.  Invstors who have not already invested in crypto are not going straight to Bitsahres X.  So this becomes equivalent crypto people or #3

11) Students and professors.  (What type of students?  Economics students?  Who will love the market peg? )
 Not sure how students are distinctive.  They don't have a lot of money.   Having professors talk about Bitshares X would be great, but..  Very difficult.  Not useful
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile

Ok ..  We have a list of 10 demographics...  Actually, no 11 !!  I think thats a good start.  Now what to do with them? 

I'd like people to pick their top 3 areas to start and list them in order from highest priority to lower.  Or if you want add to the list, whatever..  I'm trying to use a bit of community wisdom.  Help a brother out !!!

2) People who distrust USD and wish for a hedge.  The main problem I see is that these people also do not trust crypto.  They're also preparing for the end of the world type scenarios, so this makes the distrust even more strong as BTSX will scare some people.  These people don't trust the  government so TITAN can be pushed as a feature.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 10:56:02 pm by Gentso1 »

Offline gamey

• View Profile
I made the exact thread in this forum listing out demographics.   I was hoping for prioritizing them but had little participation after creating the list of 11 demographics.  I would suggest you read that list and either add to it or try to start a discussion based off of it.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
I think we need to figure out demographics first.

Who are we selling to?

Where are these people located?

What forms of media do these people cross paths with on a regular basis?

Then,

Why would these people choose Bitshares?

What can they do with Bitshares? Is Bitshares a hobby, a game, a step towards progressiveness, a new bank account, investment etc.......

Tees and faucets are a good start though.

The faucet should definitely be bitUSD and not BTSX. It gets them a little more entrenched.

I like using bitUSD for a faucet. That will give people something to play with and get them on the platform. It also fits in our budget. :D

As far as WHO thats harder. Lets try to categorize in broad terms who might be interested in Bitshares.
1. Day traders of commodities--This is big money wallstreet types. This group will need to be educated on using crypto's and need to have "faith" in the system they are trading on.They will probably be the hardest group to convince but also represent arguable the biggest amount of money. I would consider them a long term goal as most of them will want to watch the system age a bit just to make sure that it works as advertised.

2. Crypto enthusiasts--This is our go to use it today group. This group has used crypto's and feels comfortable with the idea if digital commodities.This group should be easy to reach and I feel a first priority because they will start to use the system right away. As single users not as much money as the above group but I am of the thought that money attracts money and minnows bring whales.

These are to examples of broad range groups but even with broad groups it will give us a demographic(age group,income level,interest's). What other broad range groups can you think of.   
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 05:07:18 pm by Gentso1 »

Offline NewMine

• View Profile
I think we need to figure out demographics first.

Who are we selling to?

Where are these people located?

What forms of media do these people cross paths with on a regular basis?

Then,

Why would these people choose Bitshares?

What can they do with Bitshares? Is Bitshares a hobby, a game, a step towards progressiveness, a new bank account, investment etc.......

Tees and faucets are a good start though.

The faucet should definitely be bitUSD and not BTSX. It gets them a little more entrenched.