Author Topic: Should we reconsider using the word "Bank"?  (Read 5946 times)

merockstar

Maybe one day "bank" will be an archaic little word we all laugh about.  Like, "Remember when we used those silly things called banks? How stupid were we?"

It's good to see you loitering on the forums more :)

Offline lucky331

• View Profile
Maybe one day "bank" will be an archaic little word we all laugh about.  Like, "Remember when we used those silly things called banks? How stupid were we?"

"i know right?  they were using our own money to get our money.."

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
+5%

Offline MktDirector

• View Profile

Offline kripeecakes

• View Profile
If you read back, most posters have said 'no bank'. We need to get away form that for regulatory reasons.

I think what BTSX really does is bypass the bank.

Yes, "bank" invites aggression from policy makers ...

... stealth is key ...

... the fact that 2.0 crypto is increasingly becoming anonymous/encrypted ...

... this will put pressure on regulators to act .... and choke off places like coinbase ....   

merockstar

If you read back, most posters have said 'no bank'. We need to get away form that for regulatory reasons.

is that the reason though?

I mean, BM and crew hired lawyers, and they're ok with the word bank, no?

my thinking was bank is a poor choice because when people hear bank they think "you mean those bastards who charge interest to be only means of facilitating constant increases to the money supply, after foreclosing on half the population that they gave ripoff mortages to? pass."

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
'Cooperative Reserve'

"Peer Reserve [Vault]'

;)

abbr. PRV&X
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 02:54:08 am by tonyk »
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile

Offline kripeecakes

• View Profile
... after reading a little about Truthcoin ....

...how about "Truthbank"

Offline lucky331

• View Profile
I just had this very discussion with Dan today.  The metaphor we came up with is "virtual vault" where you can trade virtual gold, silver, dollars, etc.   Trying to move the message more away from bank and never directly call it a bank.  After all, the X stands for eXchange, so it functions mostly as an exchange, albeit an exhange where you can store your value long term.

yeah. calling and comparing it with a traditional establishment such as a "bank" is so limiting, imho.

crypto projects, especially crypto 2.0 can be much much more than a bank and an exchange even.  hoping bitshares will have its implementation of smart contracts in the future. 

... maybe that's where etheruem comes in? 

Offline Murderistic

• View Profile
Asset Xchange perhaps?  I like Asset union as well but exchange is true to what it is.

Offline MktDirector

• View Profile
I just had this very discussion with Dan today.  The metaphor we came up with is "virtual vault" where you can trade virtual gold, silver, dollars, etc.   Trying to move the message more away from bank and never directly call it a bank.  After all, the X stands for eXchange, so it functions mostly as an exchange, albeit an exhange where you can store your value long term.

Offline Riverhead

Offline Riverhead

merockstar

A bank is a financial intermediary that accepts deposits and channels those deposits into lending activities, either directly by loaning or indirectly through capital markets. A bank links together customers that have capital deficits and customers with capital surpluses.

lending activities? isn't that a different DAC?

I think asset union is an awesome suggestion.
But the argument for cooperative got to me.

how about asset cooperative?