Author Topic: Proof of Ownership?  (Read 1136 times)

Offline mccoyspace

• View Profile
check out
http://www.monegraph.com/
http://monegraph.tumblr.com/

currently for digital media files/artworks, but applicable more broadly

Offline feedthemcake

• View Profile
Hope it's okay to start another topic here as this has been one of my other ideas regarding the blockchain.

How this thought started: Let's say I'm an artist (which I am) and I am selling my work in editions of 10 (which I do) and I'd like to provide someone with proof of ownership that's backed up by the blockchain. Wouldn't I be able to stamp/print onto artwork a QR code that could be embedded into the blockchain, and when a sale occurs, the transfer of ownership would be the "proof" you own it?
Problem: Would it be possible to forge a QR code and would the idea of having this transaction on the blockchain help with that? No one is forging my artwork now, but from what I know about the art world, the more exclusivity there is the better the price I can sell my pieces for. Anyhow...

I'm thinking this may even be more applicable to a car or something. Rather than just serial number, you could print the QR code and provide a transaction of ownership from dealer to new owner, this could in turn speed up the registration process at the DMV and all that as scanning the code takes seconds and can be done from anywhere. When a car is stolen or whatever, you could even have a QR code on a license plate that the police could scan from in their vehicle and check for violations/being stolen/etc.

Edit:  Even something as simple as a bicycle, or a camera, or anything really. Serial codes could be printed below the QR code, then when a sale is made of the object, the QR code is part of the sale but must be transferred via blockchain to be activated since the "token" would be in possession of the owner of said object. If you have E-bay for example, one the item is sold, the QR code would have to be input into the site to transfer ownership, I mean, it could be used on a house, on tickets to a basketball game etc. In my mind I'm imagining something like a hierarchy that could happen as well if you really want to chase this thought further. You checkout your groceries, or your holiday shopping from a store and you purchased lots of things, well you get one QR code that would have all of the items sold stored in the one code. It could help with budgeting as it could record whatever you're spending your money on as well. The ease of use I imagine is probably very far off, but if you could go into the store, pick up your items, walk past the register, scan your BTC or whatever coin, have the transaction take place and have a receipt that has proof of ownership on it, walk to your car and see a total tally of how and what your spent your money on this day/week/month/year.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 01:09:41 pm by feedthemcake »