Author Topic: Suggestion: BitUSD -> USD Ripple Gateway.  (Read 4310 times)

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
Not tech savi enough to know if this is what we are looking for but here is the response I got from the NXT guy. (He is not believing BTSX will survive Monday so be prepared!)

https://nxtforum.org/index.php?topic=4702.msg89721#msg89721

In my opinion he doesn't know what he's talking about. Timing analysis is not practical once the level of transactions reach a certain level. What exactly does he think could be gleaned from it?

And if it's some conspiracy theory about the NSA conducting a theoretical attack on titan then it's not the most cost effective avenue of attack.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
Not tech savi enough to know if this is what we are looking for but here is the response I got from the NXT guy. (He is not believing BTSX will survive Monday so be prepared!)

https://nxtforum.org/index.php?topic=4702.msg89721#msg89721
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline celticwarrior72

• View Profile
Stellar a long way off from having properly functioning gateways.  The client doesn't even facilitate them, the order book or the trustlines that make it work.  If you want to build a gateway, build it for Ripple.  There'll also be way more USD.bitstamp:USD.bitasset liquidity from the beginning via Ripple's auto bridging feature.  The biggest hurdle that most gateways experience is the initial liquidity between XRP and the IOU that the gateway issues.

Offline lucky331

• View Profile
Talked to someone about doing this at conference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hi,

stellar could be what you're looking for.  anyway i mentioned this thread at stellartalk and they seem open to the idea but are unsure on what approach to take.  also, joyce kim is open to an idea of getting some communication with you guys.  her email in case you're interested:  joyce[at]stellar.org

Offline lucky331

• View Profile
We have the capability at least in theory to set up a Gateway in Ripple which accepts BitUSD for real USD. Users would be able to transfer their BitUSD to that gateway and have it go directly into their bank accounts.

This would be a game changing feature so it should be a high priority to implement it.

https://ripple.com/guide-to-ripple-gateways/

If we can get a Ripple USD Gateway up and running then onto the assets like BitGold, BitBTC, BitLTC, all which could utilize Ripple the Ripple gateway.

So we should start with BitUSD -> USD but eventually AnyBitAsset -> AnyAsset. This would in theory allow people to exchange anything through these sorts of setups but I don't know how easy it is to set a Ripple Gateway up.

If it costs a lot of time and money to set up then lets crowdfund it. Offer a token on the Bitshares chain which people can buy and once it's set up then everyone can get paid something back in gifts.

if you're interested in doing this in ripple, i suggest getting in touch with jed mccaleb in stellar:  https://www.stellar.org/blog/introducing-stellar/

that is a ripple fork, with better distribution and it is run by a not for profit foundation. 

i will post this thread over at stellartalk.org to get more attention to this idea. 

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
Doing this in general or interested in doing it for btsx/bitUSD ..etc?

Someone was going to setup a USD gateway for Stellar.   I pitched them the alternative of setting up a USD gateway for BitUSD with the argument that they wouldn't be liable for IOUs and could mainly perform an arbitrage function.   I also pitched that they could provide a BitstampUSD -> BitUSD service...

Lots of money for people to make out there performing these services :)

This is so Key I don't think people have any idea how huge it would be . BitUSD to USD  will give people even more confidence in the system and making cashing out easier. I believe it will also get users used to the system and help to build faith, in that in the future they wont want that dirty old paper money.

If we get this right the DAC could be superior for employment than traditional companies. Delegates will be among the first to get a taste of these advantages.

If you work for a DAC you can basically choose your payout. You could get paid in any asset you choose. So much power that we can't imagine how that would change things.

But the key to it all is to have an IOU network with gateways and to have it all be completely under the hood. Users shouldn't have to deal with any of it. They should be able to push a redeem button from inside Bitshares X or any DAC and automagically it should handle it in the background.

So your gold should be sent to your vault. Your USD sent to your bank account. Your Overstockshares IOU used to purchase real Overstock shares and put in your account as legal stock certificates.

And there isn't really anything legally that could be done to stop it. IOU isn't a stock, a share, or an asset, so really all of the legal problems would be dealt with at the Ripple Gateway level which protects delegates and Bitshares users to the fullest.

Has anyone (like Brian) approached BitPay?  While they don't offer USD>bitUSD, it seems like they'd be a perfect fit for Bitshares because merchants already using BitPay could choose to accept bitUSD... and think of the gold dealers like Euro Pacific Precious Metals using bitGLD!  Such a scenario is exactly what Peter Schiff said he'd support ... a true gold-backed Bitcoin  :D

Start with Ripple Gateways. If anyone wants to try setting up a Ripple Gateway that would be the best thing we could do for the long term future of Bitshares. Steller Gateway should be set up simultaneously so users can choose which one.

Coinkite should be approached before BitPay. Then approach Coinbase after a Ripple and Stellar Gateway are up as proof of concepts.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 07:56:37 pm by luckybit »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline yellowecho

Has anyone (like Brian) approached BitPay?  While they don't offer USD>bitUSD, it seems like they'd be a perfect fit for Bitshares because merchants already using BitPay could choose to accept bitUSD... and think of the gold dealers like Euro Pacific Precious Metals using bitGLD!  Such a scenario is exactly what Peter Schiff said he'd support ... a true gold-backed Bitcoin  :D
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 07:54:22 pm by yellowecho »
696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
  • BitShares: gentso

Someone was going to setup a USD gateway for Stellar.   I pitched them the alternative of setting up a USD gateway for BitUSD with the argument that they wouldn't be liable for IOUs and could mainly perform an arbitrage function.   I also pitched that they could provide a BitstampUSD -> BitUSD service...

This is so Key I don't think people have any idea how huge it would be . BitUSD to USD  will give people even more confidence in the system and making cashing out easier. I believe it will also get users used to the system and help to build faith, in that in the future they wont want that dirty old paper money.

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline yellowecho

What's needed for something like this?  Business deal with an entity like BitStamp?  And would Bitshares create its own gateway built or use Ripple's?
696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani

no way  !!!!  :o

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline soniq

• View Profile
Sounds like a great idea, I cant contribute on the technical side. Would invest some if needed
Pr7V9GUm59dtKWXG6RJSymPsyCaCKWwNEj
Soniq on Bitcointalk -- Verified
Bitshares btsx:soniq

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I like that idea .. but honestly never used ripple