Author Topic: Guide to Security  (Read 1270 times)

Offline Riverhead

I concur with everyone Xeroc said. I never keep money in online wallets. I've been burned twice doing that. Also, I keep backups of the exported .json and a .zip of the entire wallet directory (taken when the client was closed). I also keep a copy of the entire BitsharesX working directory (wallet, chain, etc.). Space is cheap and BTSX is expensive.  I back everything up six ways from Sunday.

Also a tip: Your passphrase should be long but you can help yourself.  Say your passphrase is, "BTSX is going to be the bestest crypto stock ever!" you can email yourself Bigtbtbcse! that way it doesn't give enough information to be useful to anyone but as long as you have a vague recollection of your passphrase this will help you.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
1. Is it possible to have two different wallets on the same PC without going through too much trouble?
Yes you can! There is a parameter to the executable (probably also for the GUI
executeable) called "--data" with which you can specify where
to store all data (wallet AND blockchain) .. you will have the blockchain
stored on your disk twice then.

2. Is the .json file all I need to backup my wallet, along with the brain password?
Not the "config.json" you need to use the export feature and that file contains
all your private keys (one for the wallet and one for each account)

MAKE SURE TO REMEMBER YOUR PASSPHRASE!! private keys are encrypted in the backup file!!!!

3. What percent of your holdings (btsx and other crypto) are on various exchanges?
0.00000% expected more?
Currently I have like 80% store in coldstorage (see wiki.bitshares.org)

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
This may be a good time to review wallet safety. Some questions,

1. Is it possible to have two different wallets on the same PC without going through too much trouble?
2. Is the .json file all I need to backup my wallet, along with the brain password?
3. What percent of your holdings (btsx and other crypto) are on various exchanges?