Author Topic: Import wallet error  (Read 3740 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Oh boy .. that bug is stupid .. good to have it fixed ..

Offline vikram

When I try and import my exported backup wallet (on a usb drive), I get the error. "Failed to restore wallet backup. Your original wallet has been restored. Error: Bad Cast (7) Invalid cast from type 'string_type' to Object.

This is on a windows 8, running 0.4.5. It should be known that I tried to import this wallet into the same computer (after having fully un-installed Bitsharex), after reinstalling Bitsharex. How to proceed? Thanks

I even tried to import this wallet backup on a separate computer (mac), and I got the same error.

I have found the problem and backup creation on Windows will be fixed in 0.4.8.

To recover your existing backup, open the backup file in a text editor like Notepad and scroll all the way to the end. There is an extra comma at the end of the file; the last two lines will look like this:
Code: [Select]
},
]

Delete that comma and save the file, and let us know if you can successfully import after doing this.

Offline vikram

I am looking into this. I suspect it is only a problem with backups created on Windows. Can anyone confirm whether backup import works correctly for them with backups created on Mac or Linux?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
check this out:
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=7281.msg98454#msg98454

the devs might consider adding a 'fail-safe' to prevent users from doing what you are trying to do (i guess)

Offline bitcoinerS

• View Profile
>>> approve bitcoiners

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
This is a separate file error then the one mentioned in the link, and the link does not describe what file or path, would need to be changed. Also, it doesn't work on either Mac or PC, and in both cases, I'm opening the Json file from the dialogue box, which contains no file path.
sorry ... i am not .. no idea ... never really used the GUI :(

maybe some else can help!

Offline NWOFinancial

• View Profile
This is a separate file error then the one mentioned in the link, and the link does not describe what file or path, would need to be changed. Also, it doesn't work on either Mac or PC, and in both cases, I'm opening the Json file from the dialogue box, which contains no file path.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH

Offline NWOFinancial

• View Profile
What I am doing is attempting to import my backed up wallet (Json file), onto Bitsharesx. When I attempt to do so, I get the aforementioned error.

From the beginning
1. Install bitsharex (.0.4.5), Make account
2. Deposit BTSx and register.
3. export Backup wallet file onto a USB.
4. Uninstall Bitsharex (all of it, including the information in Appdata)
5. Reinstall Bitsharex
6. Attempt to import wallet file--> "Error: Bad Cast (7) Invalid cast from type 'string_type' to Object.

This error occurred even when I installed the program on a separate computer and tried to import the wallet...

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
I am also having the same error..but in addittion i can't synchronize and the system crashes...

previous versions were working just fine...what happened now??

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
could you explain briefly what exactly you are doing?

Offline NWOFinancial

• View Profile
When I try and import my exported backup wallet (on a usb drive), I get the error. "Failed to restore wallet backup. Your original wallet has been restored. Error: Bad Cast (7) Invalid cast from type 'string_type' to Object.

This is on a windows 8, running 0.4.5. It should be known that I tried to import this wallet into the same computer (after having fully un-installed Bitsharex), after reinstalling Bitsharex. How to proceed? Thanks

I even tried to import this wallet backup on a separate computer (mac), and I got the same error.