Author Topic: Help: Cold Storage problems  (Read 1652 times)

Offline Riverhead

Riverhead if you import the private key it is non longer cold storage.
You don't import it until you want to spend, just like other cold storage.

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies
Does get_info in the console show
Code: [Select]
"wallet_scan_progress": "100.00 %",
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline bitmarket

• View Profile
    • BitShares TV
Riverhead if you import the private key it is non longer cold storage.
Host of BitShares.TV and Author of BitShares 101

Offline Riverhead

You can try creating an account with an offline wallet and getting both the public and private key. Then when importing the private key you supply the account name. I was going to test that this evening.

You may be able to use the wallet_export command on a new wallet with just your newly created account too.  Few options to play with on dummy wallets. I haven't tried any of these but the theory is worth a try.

Code: [Select]

help wallet_import_private_key

Usage:
wallet_import_private_key <wif_key> [account_name] [create_new_account] [rescan]                      Loads the private key into the specified account. Returns which account it was actually imported to.
Loads the private key into the specified account. Returns which account it was actually imported to.

Parameters:
  wif_key (wif_private_key, required): A private key in bitcoin Wallet Import Format (WIF)
  account_name (account_name, optional, defaults to null): the name of the account the key should be imported into, if null then the key must belong to an active account
  create_new_account (bool, optional, defaults to false): If true, the wallet will attempt to create a new account for the name provided rather than import the key into an existing account
  rescan (bool, optional, defaults to false): If true, the wallet will rescan the blockchain looking for transactions that involve this private key

Returns:
  account_name

aliases: import_key, importprivkey
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 09:54:09 pm by Riverhead »

Offline bitmarket

• View Profile
    • BitShares TV
Thanks BM,

So the "Blue refresh circle"  Does that mean the coins are lost?

If so, I think you should take the cold storage page down from the wiki.  That is very dangerous.  There is no way to know if a name has been registered or not prior to sending to that name... is there?

Is there a way to do cold storage with just the public key and skip the name registration step?   That might solve the problem.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
rescanning takes a couple of minutess.. even on a decent machine

Offline bytemaster

Thanks for your help.

That is the problem.

I have imported the private key.
http://screencast.com/t/2E8f7X58wYxz

And the funds are not there.  But lets say we fix this somehow....  how can I check my funds are there without importing the key to make use of the cold storage?

At the moment we do not support public accounts... you have to use your private key to "scan" the chain for transactions.   We will make this kind of feature easier in future releases.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline bitmarket

• View Profile
    • BitShares TV
Thanks for your help.

That is the problem.

I have imported the private key.
http://screencast.com/t/2E8f7X58wYxz

And the funds are not there.  But lets say we fix this somehow....  how can I check my funds are there without importing the key to make use of the cold storage?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
- the name use sent the money to is coldstoragetest3
- the key I see on the blockchain is "BTSX5heU3EkzT6GrfwXdRLEqJ8niqJGWFYbSmttp91oHTh2d7jKCk4"
- if you have the private key to THAT particular private key everything is fine

no idea what the cricle is good for ...

go to the console type
wallet_import_private_key <your private key>

then run
wallet_rescan_blockchain

and you should see a new account called coldstoragetest3 with your funds in it

Offline bitmarket

• View Profile
    • BitShares TV
So I followed the instructions at this post
http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/ColdStorage

and I think I lost my btsx.   Fortunately it was all with small amounts for testing.

Any ideas on what went wrong?

My best guess is (and I am no techie) if a delegate has not processed the name registration, then the coins you send are lost.  But unless you import the private key (thus making it hot) you have no idea if a delegate has processed it.

FYI there was about 3 minutes between registering the name "coldstoragetest3" and depositing funds into it.

Also the Blue "refresh circle" icon seems to me that the coins did not go through and will be returned, but both fees and transfer have not been returned.   What does that blue refresh circle mean?

How do you post images?
http://screencast.com/t/zBYPxAAJSAU

Thanks for any help

PS:  Also... Did I read somewhere there is a 5% fee for an account with no activity each year??  That seems annoying for cold storage. 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 08:42:56 pm by bitmarket »