Author Topic: How do you backup a wallet? (resolved)  (Read 5903 times)

Offline kripeecakes

• View Profile
OK,

my balance is there .... thanks guys

Offline kripeecakes

• View Profile
When can we expect greater wallet stability?
with every release ... (current release rate is close to 1 release per day ;-)  )

Yhea .. you are useing cutting edge technology and that is how it feels sometimes ..
a little rough :)

I like all it.

I got my wallet synced but the balance shows 0.

How do I fix that?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
with every release ... (current release rate is close to 1 release per day ;-)  )

Yhea .. you are useing cutting edge technology and that is how it feels sometimes ..
a little rough :)

Offline kripeecakes

• View Profile
Ok,

Wallet is syncing up now ... 29 day left and counting down ....

Folks are gonna get antsy fast.

Offline kripeecakes

• View Profile
Ok thanks for that part.

Now the new client says it is downloading the transaction history. Perhaps this may take some time to accomplish.

After it completes how do I reintroduce the client to my registered name?

thanks .. I am seeing a light at the end of the tunnel and look forward to editing the thread to resolved.

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile
OK,

I have backed up and uninstalled and removed all files except wallet.dat

When I go to github there is a dmg and a exe to download .... which is the client?

The exe is what you want, that will install the new wallet.

I have a windows 8 machine. I need to backup my wallet. Could someone please tell me how?

I know this is rudimentary stuff, but there are a lot of folks like me who want to invest in crypto, but are totally lost.

My wallet won't sync anymore so before I do anything I need to back it up.

Thanks

1. Do File->Export.
2. To be completely at safe side, make a backup of folder "C:\Users\<User name>\AppData\Roaming\BitShares X\wallets"

3. Delete all files/folder from "C:\Users\<User name>\AppData\Roaming\BitShares X" except wallets folder
4. When uninstall old client, install brand new 0.4.6 from here https://github.com/dacsunlimited/bitsharesx/releases
5. Run the client

You gave 5 steps ... thank you

How do I do step 2?

(((((2. To be completely at safe side, make a backup of folder "C:\Users\<User name>\AppData\Roaming\BitShares X\wallets"   ))))

Folks my (age 52) got money to invest .... but we need a bridge while wallet tech is emerging.

To do step 2, copy "C:\Users\<User name>\AppData\Roaming\BitShares X\" into the address bar of the windows file explorer, replacing "<User name>" with your windows user name.  Hit enter and it should take you to the Bitshares X directory, which will contain a directory called "wallets".  Copy that wallets directory to your backup USB drive.

Offline kripeecakes

• View Profile
OK,

I have backed up and uninstalled and removed all files except wallet.dat

When I go to github there is a dmg and a exe to download .... which is the client?

Offline kripeecakes

• View Profile
I went ahead and put the old client on my USB.

Offline kripeecakes

• View Profile
I have a windows 8 machine. I need to backup my wallet. Could someone please tell me how?

I know this is rudimentary stuff, but there are a lot of folks like me who want to invest in crypto, but are totally lost.

My wallet won't sync anymore so before I do anything I need to back it up.

Thanks

1. Do File->Export.
2. To be completely at safe side, make a backup of folder "C:\Users\<User name>\AppData\Roaming\BitShares X\wallets"

3. Delete all files/folder from "C:\Users\<User name>\AppData\Roaming\BitShares X" except wallets folder
4. When uninstall old client, install brand new 0.4.6 from here https://github.com/dacsunlimited/bitsharesx/releases
5. Run the client

You gave 5 steps ... thank you

How do I do step 2?

(((((2. To be completely at safe side, make a backup of folder "C:\Users\<User name>\AppData\Roaming\BitShares X\wallets"   ))))

Folks my (age 52) got money to invest .... but we need a bridge while wallet tech is emerging.

Offline kripeecakes

• View Profile
How do I know what version I have?

I think I got my wallet back on 8/17 or 8/18 from the main website.

I did not have any PTS. I am a new BTSX investor.

I appreciate all your help.

I am hoping to get this wallet issue resolved this weekend.

Offline testz

so is it actually necessary to delete all those files. if you download the new upgrade it doesn't automatically overwrite the files?

It's necessary (faster/cleaner solution) only if you move from olders client to 0.4.4+ version. For all following releases you don't need to delete anything, uninstall old version, install new and you are set.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
You can go to a clean machine, install the client and restore from .json and have all your accounts and funds.
maybe we should switch to calling in backupJson instead of .json for above reasons ... just a proposal

Offline cryptkeeper

• View Profile
so is it actually necessary to delete all those files. if you download the new upgrade it doesn't automatically overwrite the files?

Offline cryptkeeper

• View Profile

Offline Riverhead

I'm trying to get an understanding of this. So if I simply go to export and save the json file i'm not really backing up my wallet? Excuse me if I sound dumb but I rather be safe than sorry.

You can go to a clean machine, install the client and restore from .json and have all your accounts and funds.