Author Topic: HOW TO TRANSFER PTS FROM MAC WALLET TO WINDOWS WALLET  (Read 3234 times)

Offline Riverhead

Re: HOW TO TRANSFER PTS FROM MAC WALLET TO WINDOWS WALLET
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 03:40:53 pm »
VOILA!

Thank you so much.

Victory :D

Thanks for sticking it out.

Offline bitcoinnoisseur

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 03:16:42 pm »
VOILA!

Thank you so much.

Offline Riverhead

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 03:08:02 pm »
Copying the wallet.dat file to my pc doesnt do anything whatsoever to my PTS wallet and how could it? Its just a file sitting on my desktop.

I see where we're disconnecting.

Open the file explorer (windowkey+e) and type in the address bar %AppData% this will take you to a directory where you'll see Bitshares-PTS. Open that folder and you'll see a wallet.dat. Rename that file to wallet.dat.bak and copy the wallet.dat from your Mac in there. Then fire up the client.

Sorry, that was a key piece of info I left out.

Offline bitcoinnoisseur

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 02:17:01 pm »
I came across the following:   https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=5194.0   BUT I don't understand any of that either.

The issue for MOVING the Bitshares XT wallet from Mac to Windows
« on: June 21, 2014, 05:09:49 PM »
I used "wallet_export_to_json /Users/xx/bts" to export the current wallet to a JSON file on my Mac,
and then I copy this JSON file to D:/ on my Windows PC. Then I used "wallet_create_from_json D:/bts xxx" on XT client on my Windows7 PC, but it showed me "command aborted". Someone can tell me what's wrong?

Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 05:58:38 PM »
File an issue with the entire error message: https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares_toolkit/issues

Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 07:15:39 PM »
I believe you need to wrap the path in double quotes when executing the command.  You may also try to execute the command without any arguments and allow it to prompt you for each one, thereby identifying which parameter produces the abort.

I did file an issue on github.

Offline bitcoinnoisseur

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 02:14:58 pm »
None of that made any sense to me sorry.

"When the file is copied and you fire up the PTS wallet on your Windows machine it'll look exactly like on the Mac."

Copying the wallet.dat file to my pc doesnt do anything whatsoever to my PTS wallet and how could it? Its just a file sitting on my desktop.

There is nowhere to import anything to my PTS wallet on my pc. The only option is to Export a wallet.

"If it's the case your wallet.dat file on your Windows machine is live and in use..."

What wallet.dat file on my windows pc?(The one i created and haven't backed up or exported or the one i copied from the Mac thats sitting on my desktop? I'm assuming you mean the one i created on my pc but then How else could that file be anything but live?

"1) Export all the private keys to import them on the other computer"

How is that done as the only option I see on the Mac is to Backup a wallet?

"2) Send the coins via the network to the other wallet."

Wouldn't sending just the coins to the wallet on my pc give me just the coins and NOT the ability to import the original wallet.dat file to the new VOTE and DNS DAC wallets once they are created?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 01:45:09 pm »
Xeroc had it right. The wallet.dat file is not OS dependent and in the QT client the wallet.dat file is the ONLY thing that matters. Put it on a USB stick, copy it to the %AppData%\Bitshares-pts directory on your windows machine and you're done. I have wallets on a bunch of machines and I transfer the file between Linux, OSX, and Windows all the time.

When the file is copied and you fire up the PTS wallet on your Windows machine it'll look exactly like on the Mac.  Transaction history, addresses book, everything. Think of the wallet.dat file like a sim card in a phone. The phone is just a shell, the sim card is everything.

If it's the case your wallet.dat file on your Windows machine is live and in use and you need to retain it your only options are the following:

1) Export all the private keys to import them on the other computer
2) Send the coins via the network to the other wallet.

There aren't any other options.
lol ... is was searching the the forum for %APPDATA% to get the right path and the first result was this post .. then I checked the thread name so that I can link him to that ... only to find .. wholy crap ...Riverhead is fast ;-)

Offline Riverhead

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 01:42:25 pm »
When the file is copied and you fire up the PTS wallet on your Windows machine it'll look exactly like on the Mac.  Transaction history, addresses book, everything. Think of the wallet.dat file like a sim card in a phone. The phone is just a shell, the sim card is everything.

If it's the case your wallet.dat file on your Windows machine is live and in use and you need to retain it your only options are the following:

1) Export all the private keys to import them on the other computer
2) Send the coins via the network to the other wallet.

#1 is a pain because you have to get all your change addresses too. #2 is by the best option.

There aren't any other options.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 01:46:12 pm by Riverhead »

Offline bitcoinnoisseur

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 01:35:48 pm »
I appreciate you trying to help but you answered a different question than I asked. I didn't make myself clear enough. I need to get my PTS and my wallet file from my PTS wallet on a Mac to my PTS wallet on my Windows pc so that I can control my PTS as the Mac is not my computer. Importing my PTS wallet on the MAc to my BTSX wallet was a snap. There is no way to import a wallet file with the current PTS wallet GUI. Again i need to control my PTS on my Windows pc as the MAc is not mine and now I'm really worried about about their security.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 08:28:55 am »
you store the wallet.dat file on an USB stick carry it to your windows PCs and import it into your btsx wallet .. easy peacy

Offline bitcoinnoisseur

• View Profile
HOW TO TRANSFER PTS FROM MAC WALLET TO WINDOWS WALLET
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 01:24:54 am »
My PTS are in a Mac wallet on a Mac(not mine). How do I get them into my Windows wallet on my Windows  PC? I'm going to import the PTS wallet to my BTSX wallet and I want everything on my Windows PC.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 03:42:48 am by bitcoinnoisseur »