Author Topic: Specs for a new computer  (Read 2512 times)

Offline cusknee

• View Profile
  • BitShares: cusknee
Great help and information. Thanks

Offline soniq

• View Profile
I am running my wallets on an iMac using OSX 10.8.4 with a 3.2GHz Intel Core i5 and 8 GB of ram.
When using the wallets BTC PTS and BitSharesx my computer, at times, runs so slowly that it is almost unusable.

I have decided that for security and other reasons to purchase a laptop to use only for crypto currencies and will most likely switch to a windows based machine.....

Question: What is most important for smooth operation
a.)RAM
b.)processor speed
c.) other criteria

Is there a problem transferring dat or json files from OSX to Windows ? Annoyingly my dat files from OSX show up as VLC media player files.

Any help and advice would be appreciated

I would suggest also downloading CCleaner, it has a free version and it does a great job of cleaning and organizing all temp and broken files and should speed your computer up substancialy

The computer you have is more than good enough to run the qt client.   

Multibit is another good wallet option.  You can alos import your  private keys from QT to Electrum or Multibit
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 02:09:40 pm by soniq »
Pr7V9GUm59dtKWXG6RJSymPsyCaCKWwNEj
Soniq on Bitcointalk -- Verified
Bitshares btsx:soniq

Offline Riverhead

Doing a little reading I see that it would be good to use a wallet that doesn't download the entire block chain. Are you using electrum? Can I transfer over to it with my .dat file?

What would be best is if you setup Electrum and then sent to your new address from the Bitcoin-QT client. Note that the Bitcoin-QT wallet does NOT need to be sync'd to send coins. It will submit the transfer to the network even without the blockchain in sync.

A big advantage of the Electrum wallet is that it is 100% deterministic. Print out the words it gives you when you create the wallet and store them in a safe place (or 10) and you never have to worry about backups again. The wallet and all the transactions can always be recreated with those words.

For the seed what I did was installed TrueCrypt or similar and created a 10MB encrypted virtual drive file. Put all your wallets, keys, seed text, etc. in there with a really strong passphrase and then email it to yourself or throw it up on Google Drive and MicroSoft's OneDrive.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 12:53:01 pm by Riverhead »

Offline cusknee

• View Profile
Doing a little reading I see that it would be good to use a wallet that doesn't download the entire block chain. Are you using electrum? Can I transfer over to it with my .dat file?

Offline Riverhead

When I check the cpu percentage used the Bitcoin-QT version 4.8.4 wallet fluctuates between 16 and 85%!!!! The wallet is still synching after 5 days! Could my problems be the old wallet version?

The Bitcoin blockchain is absurdly huge. Do you have a bandwidth cap? Also, have you considered using something like Electrum?

Offline cusknee

• View Profile
I am running my wallets on an iMac using OSX 10.8.4 with a 3.2GHz Intel Core i5 and 8 GB of ram.
When using the wallets BTC PTS and BitSharesx my computer, at times, runs so slowly that it is almost unusable.
Wait what?

are you sure you have mining disabled in PTS?
The computer you have is plenty powerful to handle the task. Something is killing your performance that can addressed. Save your cash for buying more BTSX :)

For example I run everything you mentioned plus a few alt coins on a Core 2 Duo Thinkpad T60 laptop from 2004.

When I check the cpu percentage used the Bitcoin-QT version 4.8.4 wallet fluctuates between 16 and 85%!!!! The wallet is still synching after 5 days! Could my problems be the old wallet version?

Offline Riverhead

The computer you have is plenty powerful to handle the task. Something is killing your performance that can addressed. Save your cash for buying more BTSX :).

For example I run everything you mentioned plus a few alt coins on a Core 2 Duo Thinkpad T60 laptop from 2004.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Wait what?

are you sure you have mining disabled in PTS?
what application is using the most % of the CPU? you can check in the taskmanager (i think)

chryspano

If you don't have an SSD then its the HD that slows you down the most.

Offline cusknee

• View Profile

I have decided that for security and other reasons to purchase a laptop to use only for crypto currencies and will most likely switch to a windows based machine.....

Question: What is most important for smooth operation
a.)RAM
b.)processor speed
c.) other criteria

Is there a problem transferring dat or json files from OSX to Windows ? Annoyingly my dat files from OSX show up as VLC media player files.

Any help and advice would be appreciated