Author Topic: Is Bitshares a brand?  (Read 3299 times)

Offline fuzzy

In general, DACs that use the BitShares brand share the common BitShares Toolkit which makes them increasingly interoperable in a common client environment.  They use the DPOS security model, honor the BitShares Social Consensus and present a compatible brand image.  This is an evolving industry, so exceptions to these rules may be considered on a case by case basis.

I think freetrade wanted to honor the pt/ags communities along with the others honored as a means to bring value and a supported userbase to his DAC.

As far as the initial question...I see BitShares as a technology that was meant to fix what bitcoin and proof of work fail to do.  Proof of work burns energy which means you might make and secure a token, but that any infrastructure that accepts your token must do it out of the goodness of their hearts or for diversification purposes. 

Using DPOS enables any Primary Currency DAC (for instance, btc, ltc, pc...etc) to redirect that money originally thrown at power companies into the construction of DACs that offer services redeemable in your coin.

In this way, while every pow coin out there is in a one way relationship with engrained power companies, DPOS coins derive value from the value of the services for which they are accepted.

If the world was my perfect vision...delegates would form partnerships with media outlets and "altcoins" with devs who are obviously competent (like ppc, drk...etc) and give a % of their fees to helping pay for the help they will need in order to build their ghost towns into thriving commerce hubs.

In return, the BitShares community also gets a stake in those coins DACs that come online, A) to honor the delegate(s) that helped them when they didnt have to...and B) to gain the support and future patronage of the BitShares community for those DAC services in the future.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 06:15:53 pm by fuznuts »
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
But what prevents someone to launch a coin whithout having used the toolkit and calls it "BitShares ABC"?

What will happens if that occurs?

Then he'll lanuch his DAC without accpeting social consensus and last but not least, without support form our complete community.
I would thinking, if you don't accept the SC then you aren'T allowed to use BitSharesTM name for you company... pls correct me when i'm wrong with this..

Yes, the BitShares brand is an indication of compliance with the Social Consensus.
But what would happen if someone who doesn't comply with the Social Consensus decide to use the BitShares brand anyway?

The resulting uproar from this community would cause them to quickly drop off the front page of coinmarketcap to the Graveyard of Forgotten Coins where there would be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

:)
OK thanks for that answer. :)

Btw LottoShares has honored the Social Consensus but still doesn't use the brand BitShares as far I know, why is that?

LottoShares never asked, preferring to remain independent.  This is fine.

In general, DACs that use the BitShares brand share the common BitShares Toolkit which makes them increasingly interoperable in a common client environment.  They use the DPOS security model, honor the BitShares Social Consensus and present a compatible brand image.  This is an evolving industry, so exceptions to these rules may be considered on a case by case basis.

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Btw LottoShares has honored the Social Consensus but still doesn't use the brand BitShares as far I know, why is that?
Its not based on the bitshares_toolkit but on the satoshi bitcoin client.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
They get to keep as much as 80% with the Social Consensus and they get a built-in community of users, developers, boosters, investors, supporters. That takes time and great expense to build. When these high tech companies spend $12 Billion on some startup, it's not just the technology they want; it's the user base. The value of the BitShares community is incalculable; it will soon be worth billions.

For a business owner, entering into a financial relationship with a 20% minority investor is standard practice. When that minority investor comes with enough viral power to launch your 80% of the project into one of the top crypto-businesses in the world, then it's pretty dumb to ignore that. That 80% is worth magnitudes more than a non-compliant business. For developers/owners who want to do it all themselves, an extra 20% will be worth far, far less. 20% of nothing is still nothing. And that's not counting the negative wave they'll have to overcome when this community blackballs them -- the extra expense and effort of counteracting that bad PR will be a dead weight forever.

When you really think about it, the Social Consensus is a no-brainer.

Offline BldSwtTrs

• View Profile
But what prevents someone to launch a coin whithout having used the toolkit and calls it "BitShares ABC"?

Then he'll lanuch his DAC without accpeting social consensus and last but not least, without support form our complete community.
I would thinking, if you don't accept the SC then you aren'T allowed to use BitSharesTM name for you company... pls correct me when i'm wrong with this..

Yes, the BitShares brand is an indication of compliance with the Social Consensus.
But what would happen if someone who doesn't comply with the Social Consensus decide to use the BitShares brand anyway?

The resulting uproar from this community would cause them to quickly drop off the front page of coinmarketcap to the Graveyard of Forgotten Coins where there would be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

OK thanks for that answer. :)

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline BldSwtTrs

• View Profile

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile

█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline BldSwtTrs

• View Profile

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
For me the BitShares Brand stands for an ecosystem of several DACs each having their own blockchain(s) based on the toolkit

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

I consider BitShares a vision.
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline G1ng3rBr34dM4n

When I think of BitShares I consider it to be a technology platform & toolkit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
I would say a new industry, product line, or ecosystem.

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
It's a community, brand and ecosystem.
  +5%

BitShares is a Trademark.

The toolkit developed by BitShares is open source! You can use BitShares / BitSharesX logos etc. for news/press purposes.
If you need something media/gfx related don't hesitate to contact us at press@bitshares.org or drop me a PM for logo etc.

c
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█