Author Topic: Exactly one year ago...  (Read 4687 times)

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
I was sucked in when I saw BM's video on the mechanics of bitshares last November. Prior to that I had been exploring other applications of the blockchain ("wow! namecoin!") and someone on reddit pointed me towards invictus. At first I didn't see why BitUSD should track but after a few days it clicked ("ok fine, doubter - what's your trading strategy?") and I became a forum addict
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
You guys have got me beat by quite a bit.  I didn't look into bitshares until mid February when I saw the spike on coinmarketcap as I was looking for something good to mine.  I didn't get into crypto to make money.  I got into it because it was a fun nerdy way to play with code and hardware, and I like the idea of competing with central banks.  Bitshares X didn't appeal to me when I first looked into it because I am not a trader (have still to this day never traded cash to crypto directly) and because I didn't understand its potential to do more than allow day traders to have fun.  Bitshares DNS and keyhotee intrigued me though.  This was a product I would actually use, and the first such product I had seen since bitcoin itself.  When I began to dig into the forums I found https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=2853.msg35523#msg35523 and that sold me.  When Dan talks about politics or economics it usually feels as if he has reached into my brain, taken my thoughts, organized them more efficiently than I do, and spoken them more clearly than I could.  I love the potential of DACs freeing us from the clutches of our overlords by making them irrelevant, or more appropriately showing the hoodwinked masses that they are irrelevant.  I am not above money, I am actually quite fond of it, but the real reason I am still here.  The reason I plan on sticking around is the potential I see in these technologies to improve the lives of all of us, by helping to get this monkey off of our backs.
+1 :)

Yes! Particularly this part appealed to me,

The long term benefit of decentralized autonomous companies is the creation of millions of information-based jobs that allow everyone to make money by contributing what they know to the market.  Whether you love music, inventions, news articles, insurance, or currency speculation there will be ample opportunities for people to make money on what they know.

Profit from simply seeing the truth and acting on it? Yes please. The phrase "put your money where your mouth is" means so much more to me now than it did before.

Offline oco101

• View Profile
You guys have got me beat by quite a bit.  I didn't look into bitshares until mid February when I saw the spike on coinmarketcap as I was looking for something good to mine.  I didn't get into crypto to make money.  I got into it because it was a fun nerdy way to play with code and hardware, and I like the idea of competing with central banks.  Bitshares X didn't appeal to me when I first looked into it because I am not a trader (have still to this day never traded cash to crypto directly) and because I didn't understand its potential to do more than allow day traders to have fun.  Bitshares DNS and keyhotee intrigued me though.  This was a product I would actually use, and the first such product I had seen since bitcoin itself.  When I began to dig into the forums I found https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=2853.msg35523#msg35523 and that sold me.  When Dan talks about politics or economics it usually feels as if he has reached into my brain, taken my thoughts, organized them more efficiently than I do, and spoken them more clearly than I could.  I love the potential of DACs freeing us from the clutches of our overlords by making them irrelevant, or more appropriately showing the hoodwinked masses that they are irrelevant.  I am not above money, I am actually quite fond of it, but the real reason I am still here.  The reason I plan on sticking around is the potential I see in these technologies to improve the lives of all of us, by helping to get this monkey off of our backs.
+1 :)

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

charleshoskinson

If you want to study financial axioms, then have a look at unified financial analysis from professor brammertz. It treats all financial relationships as state contingent cash flows.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
Logic and mathematics is god damn awesome. When I become rich I will study.

Offline onceuponatime

Only if you accept the axiom of choice

Had to go to Google again:

"Contemporary set theorists also study axioms that are not compatible with the axiom of choice, such as the axiom of determinacy. The axiom of choice is avoided in some varieties of constructive mathematics, although there are varieties of constructive mathematics in which the axiom of choice is embraced."

I guess we have to experiment.

charleshoskinson

Only if you accept the axiom of choice.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
Can a ball be decomposed into a finite number of point sets and reassembled into two balls identical to the original? .. Here's some common sense: No!! LOL I don't know. How you walk away from all that $$$ though..

What drew me to BitShares originally was the clarity, honesty, common sense and lack of posturing found in the writings of Dan and Stan. Hm.. I would love to see a video of Dan and Stan just talking about stuff..  +5%

Offline onceuponatime

I'm out guys. I think more about banach tarski these days than I do cryptocurrency. Too much drama in this space. A lot of greed and little common sense.
Too bad...

I wish you the best for your future ..

"banach tarski" - Wow, I had to google that one!  :)

Maybe we can "banach tarski" bitshares into the size of a worldwide system from its present startup  ;)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I'm out guys. I think more about banach tarski these days than I do cryptocurrency. Too much drama in this space. A lot of greed and little common sense.
Too bad...

I wish you the best for your future ..

charleshoskinson

Offline jae208

• View Profile
I remember talking to Danny about doing an article back in July (2013) at the NYC conference. We originally met when he was doing a story on BFL and I provided a quote for him. The actual article I believe was the product of four or five interviews. I was pretty happy with it. There was going to be a followup prior to the release of protoshares around the end of October, but that got cut.

The question is really - 'When  are you coming back?'

+5%
http://bitsharestutorials.com A work in progress
Subscribe to the Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/BitsharesTutorials

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I remember talking to Danny about doing an article back in July (2013) at the NYC conference. We originally met when he was doing a story on BFL and I provided a quote for him. The actual article I believe was the product of four or five interviews. I was pretty happy with it. There was going to be a followup prior to the release of protoshares around the end of October, but that got cut.

+5%
+5%

Offline johncitizen

• View Profile

+5%