Author Topic: Minor annoyance with build process: move htdocs  (Read 1501 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
@arghag
1) clone the repo
2) modify to your needs
3) push to your github account
4) make a pull request
5) wait! ;-)

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
How about setting it up so that the command "make fresh" runs the equivalent of "make buildweb & make" today except it forces the rebuilding of htdocs in the build folder. That way C++ developers can use their regular workflow, and us users only need to do "cmake -DINCLUDE_QT_WALLET=ON ../bitsharesx & make fresh" in a new build folder. Also can't INCLUDE_QT_WALLET be on by default?

Offline bytemaster

I too have been bothered by this bug.  It is something I want fixed, even if it is a manual build step.    The problem is the rebuilding the HTDOCS is time consuming and unnecessary for c++ guys.  So they tried to minimize when it would run.   Obviously, they took it too far
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
This is an incredibly minor complaint meant for the devs who I know are super busy, but then again I think it's a really simple fix.

For some reason CMakeLists is setup to build the web wallet code in the source directory during make buildweb. Shouldn't that go into the build directory instead?

The way I build on my system is to keep the build directory separate from the source directory (the directory I do git pull updates on). But after doing the git pull and git submodule update commands, I can't just do "cmake -DINCLUDE_QT_WALLET=ON ../bitsharesx & make buildweb & make" in a new build directory because make buildweb complains about htdocs already existing. But if the HTML interface changes, then I cannot leave out make buildweb or else I will get the old UI in the Qt client, correct? So, I need to go delete bitsharesx/programs/qt_wallet/htdocs (and possibly bitsharesx/programs/web_wallet/generated and bitsharesx/programs/web_wallet/dist) before running make buildweb. However, if make buildweb were to create and check for the existence of these directories in the build directory rather than the source directory, this inconvenience wouldn't be necessary.

I wondered about that too .. thanks for explaining the reasons ..
I am no expert but can the reason be that the web_wallet is a submodule?

Anyway, you might consider adding a github issue so that the devs can track your proposal:
https://github.com/BitShares/web_wallet

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
This is an incredibly minor complaint meant for the devs who I know are super busy, but then again I think it's a really simple fix.

For some reason CMakeLists is setup to build the web wallet code in the source directory during make buildweb. Shouldn't that go into the build directory instead?

The way I build on my system is to keep the build directory separate from the source directory (the directory I do git pull updates on). But after doing the git pull and git submodule update commands, I can't just do "cmake -DINCLUDE_QT_WALLET=ON ../bitsharesx & make buildweb & make" in a new build directory because make buildweb complains about htdocs already existing. But if the HTML interface changes, then I cannot leave out make buildweb or else I will get the old UI in the Qt client, correct? So, I need to go delete bitsharesx/programs/qt_wallet/htdocs (and possibly bitsharesx/programs/web_wallet/generated and bitsharesx/programs/web_wallet/dist) before running make buildweb. However, if make buildweb were to create and check for the existence of these directories in the build directory rather than the source directory, this inconvenience wouldn't be necessary.