Author Topic: Nxt and Bitshares Advantages of each  (Read 14705 times)

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile
It's often been said that NXT could potentially be one of the main competitors to BTSX.

Sometimes I get worried that BTSX isn't penetrating the alt-coin market more just by people learning and investigating about how freaking awesome BitAssets are now that it's at no.4.

However it's interesting to see NXT are getting very little love at the moment. $23 million is very low valuation. They also have $15 million+ worth of different assets on their platform and you'd think leading in that market would have more value and that each one of those assets has a unique feature that would bring more people into NXT...

So not that BitShares can't do better, but in a way it's reassuring that BitShares pre-marketing lull doesn't necessarily represent a critical fault with marketing in general. Also the alt-coin market is pretty dead. No.5 (NXT) + everyone below them is < $200 million.

So while personally I'm a big fan of anything that makes the message simple like 'Whatisbitusd.com'  - simplify, simplify, simplify... The truth is everything else is really quiet atm.

Hmm... Except NuBits perhaps.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
The most important thing is to understand that those are all analogies: currency, DAC (company) etc.
They all apply to some degree.

Offline lucky331

• View Profile
"Regarding NXT as coins: NXTs are not coins... or at least the creator of Nxt didn't want them to be seen as coins. They are tokens that grant privileges for supporting Nxt.
Deflation is not much better than inflation. "Real" coins should be created on top of Nxt, and be issued in quantities that keep their value constant. BCNext understands that this is very arguable. The community should decide if it wants to follow the path showed by him, or stick to the Bitcoin legacy of an unchangeable supply of coins with which people hope to become rich by doing nothing."

BCNext envisioned it in this way.. the community however sees it as a currency.  We ran a poll and out of ~20 people voting, only one thought that Nxt was not a currency.

then i guess we need to re-educate everybody?  i think if they finally understand it the way BCNext wanted us to, the people might not be feeling as iffy getting into Nxt as they do now.

Offline mczarnek

• View Profile
"Regarding NXT as coins: NXTs are not coins... or at least the creator of Nxt didn't want them to be seen as coins. They are tokens that grant privileges for supporting Nxt.
Deflation is not much better than inflation. "Real" coins should be created on top of Nxt, and be issued in quantities that keep their value constant. BCNext understands that this is very arguable. The community should decide if it wants to follow the path showed by him, or stick to the Bitcoin legacy of an unchangeable supply of coins with which people hope to become rich by doing nothing."

BCNext envisioned it in this way.. the community however sees it as a currency.  We ran a poll and out of ~20 people voting, only one thought that Nxt was not a currency.

Offline mczarnek

• View Profile
How can BTSX be in a bubble when the main features aren't released yet? I think it's just getting started. I think if it were at 10 cents then we could talk about it being in a bubble.

Seems to me like that is exactly when bubbles occur..  when people are speculating rather than buying BTSX because they want to use it's features today.

I'm still convinced it's a bubble.. but hey, only time will tell.

I did change the title.. friendlier?

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
DPOS security in 5 seconds is better than NXT security in 10 minutes. 

Bitshares community is better than Nxt community because we don't develop in secret like you are doing.   I am sure you have your reasons, but your claims cannot be challenged nor debated fairly so long as they are secret. 

I consider C++ better than Java in the long-run. 
I consider BitShares more scalable at VISA levels.... home computers won't be able to forge at VISA bandwidth requirements.

As much as I dislike Java it is more portable and a lot more developers seem to be experts in it. That is an advantage they may have by going with Java but it has to be weighed against the disadvantages.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
Yeah, it's in a bubble just like the universe 1.21 picoseconds after the Big Bang.
You made that number up .. didn't you?

I think it was Doc Brown, but there are quite a few other numbers that would work there just as well...
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline yellowecho

I don't want to be that guy, but any commodity can be manipulated in price as long as its pricing is dependant on collectively issued credit currency (i.e. the current fiat regime). This is even more so true for BTSX as it encourages the usage of bitAssets and hence the pricing of BTSX tokens in terms of those bitAssets.

It is going to be interesting to witness how much the DAC ecosystem will evolve, including BTSX istelf. We are in for a wilde ride.

No way, I'm glad you're "that guy" because you're right and it does put things in perspective.  The point I was trying to make is not that gold is immune from manipulation as a result of credit expansion rather that true value can be better determined in an international free market enabling people to price gold in oil or price silver in bonds and take advantage of opportunities in a highly liquid market.  It puts all value in perspective because all assets are equally as fungible.

Exciting times ahead, folks!
696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Yeah, it's in a bubble just like the universe 1.21 picoseconds after the Big Bang.
You made that number up .. didn't you?

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
We've had some people trying to post to the nxtforum.org to start a NXT vs Bitshares discussion (https://nxtforum.org/general-discussion/open-invitation-to-the-nxt-community!/).  Figured I'd post back here and get one going here as well.  Meant to be friendly and make sure you guys are aware of what's going on in the Nxt community as BTSX and Nxt are the most promising POS coins in my my opinion.

What do you guys think about Nxt vs BitShares?

Bitshares advantages:
-Shorting with collateral, which is a nice addition to AE.
-DPOS
-Faster confirmations
-Titan addresses somehow adds privacy? Could someone explain?
-Probably better marketing team.. Nxt Organization has just started and is trying to change that, but it's going to be a little bit

Nxt advantages:
-Also has an Asset Exchange.  Cheaper to issue an asset, cheap enough that anyone can use it.
-More decentralized.. any who wants to can forge.  Via leased forging you can even just buy some Nxt to lease to a forger.. similar to DPOS's voting system but less likely to become as centralized and anyone who wants can still forge
- Arbitrary messaging
- A decentralized marketplace
- A decentralized exchange(multi-gateway).. your BTC might even potentially get robbed if robber can hack 2 out of 3 separate high-security servers but you will not lose your Nxt via the Multi-Gateway since you trade directly from your wallet.
- I'm in charge of implementing even faster and more decentralized confirmations in Nxt than BTSX has. Coming in a few months.
- Has a blockchain explorer.. which seems pretty basic, amazed you don't have anything nearly as nice as nxtexplorer.com or https://nxtblocks.info/
- Multiple wallets  Wesley's wallet, offspring, Human Fractal's wallet, mynxt.info
- nxtad.net allows anyone out their to advertise using Nxt as their crypto currency
-Alias system.. Bitshares might have this one too?
-You can pay your credit card bill using Nxt
-Many more developers, at least a dozen currently interviewing and just in general has more of the basics implemented.
-Traded on more exchanges

Clearly my money is mostly on Nxt and I know it much better.. so what am I missing that I can add under BitShare advantages?  Any of this stuff that Nxt already implements that BTSX does too? You guys have DACs out yet?

You guys all agree that BTSX is currently in a bubble?

How can BTSX be in a bubble when the main features aren't released yet? I think it's just getting started. I think if it were at 10 cents then we could talk about it being in a bubble.

The best thing we can do is tell NXT whales to hedge their bets or wait until the price goes up even more. Honestly if they think it's a bubble then let them wait for the crash and let's see what the price is when that happens.

I don't see a good reason for the prices to get cheaper over the next few months as more features are activated, more people learn about Bitshares, and Litecoin miners look for a new place to mine.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
I've studied Nxt for 8 months, BTSX for a day.. that's why I'm asking if people could give me bullet points and I will happily add some to the first post.

Welcome!

Here is our version of Why Chose Us?
Here is our brief at the Overstock Wiki.

DPOS inforgraphic.
TITAN infographic.
Product Roadmap infographic.

Lots more info at wiki.bitshares.org :)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 05:28:07 pm by CLains »

Offline itnom

• View Profile
    • Bitsapphire - The web development group that makes disruptive startups happen
The one is an IOU and the other is a market pegged asset (did that exist before, with it being an IOU at the same time??)

Yea, user-issued assets are IOUs while market-pegged assets are fully fungible whose price is derived through social consensus rather than by the issuer alone.

I have a question.... is BitsharesX the first time the price of 1 troy ounce .999 fine gold will be set by the free market rather than from a couple bankers colluding in private?   :o
I don't want to be that guy, but any commodity can be manipulated in price as long as its pricing is dependant on collectively issued credit currency (i.e. the current fiat regime). This is even more so true for BTSX as it encourages the usage of bitAssets and hence the pricing of BTSX tokens in terms of those bitAssets.

It is going to be interesting to witness how much the DAC ecosystem will evolve, including BTSX istelf. We are in for a wilde ride.
Back our bid as a BitShares Delegate! http://bitsapphire.com/Bitshares-Delegate

wallet_approve_delegate bitsapphire true

Offline yellowecho

The one is an IOU and the other is a market pegged asset (did that exist before, with it being an IOU at the same time??)

Yea, user-issued assets are IOUs while market-pegged assets are fully fungible whose price is derived through social consensus rather than by the issuer alone.

I have a question.... is BitsharesX the first time the price of 1 troy ounce .999 fine gold will be set by the free market rather than from a couple bankers colluding in private?   :o
696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
- A decentralized marketplace
BTSX is a decentralized exchange.  NXT's marketplace just has user-issued assets.
You don't understand.. what BTSX calls market, Nxt call Asset Exchange.  Nxt has a 'marketplace' that allows selling goods and services as well.

Sorry friend, but you still don't understand the difference between market-pegged assets and user-issued assets.  Once you realize the difference, you'll finally understand the power of BitsharesX.  8)