Author Topic: Nxt and Bitshares Advantages of each  (Read 14717 times)

Offline yellowecho

- A decentralized marketplace
BTSX is a decentralized exchange.  NXT's marketplace just has user-issued assets.
You don't understand.. what BTSX calls market, Nxt call Asset Exchange.  Nxt has a 'marketplace' that allows selling goods and services as well.

Sorry friend, but you still don't understand the difference between market-pegged assets and user-issued assets.  Once you realize the difference, you'll finally understand the power of BitsharesX.  8)
696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline lucky331

• View Profile
yup.  and coming from ripple as my "background" of crypto 2.0 i totally get it.  as ripple's built in currency, xrp, wasn't created to be solely as a currency.  it's more like an anti-spam feature and a bridge currency when conversions are made between currencies via the order book.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 09:41:14 am by lucky331 »

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
I don't like this thread ...
Even starting a thread with a topic like that is too aggresive, and offensively attacking an other community that wants to achieve equal goals.
Have you guys ever thought about that the NXT community can read this here?
Would you like to be treated like this?
I'd like to remind everyone that we have a netiquette! Everyone on the internet should know about it!

“Don't do unto others what you don't want others to do unto you.”
― Confucius

Let's get back to the hard facts. And leave sentiments aside! Thanks

in all fairness:  https://nxtforum.org/general-discussion/nxt-pos-vs-bitshares-dpos/

i suggest change the 'vs' to 'and' in both threads.

Yes I wish that too..
Did you read this post btw: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=752258.msg8505313#msg8505313

"Regarding NXT as coins: NXTs are not coins... or at least the creator of Nxt didn't want them to be seen as coins. They are tokens that grant privileges for supporting Nxt.
Deflation is not much better than inflation. "Real" coins should be created on top of Nxt, and be issued in quantities that keep their value constant. BCNext understands that this is very arguable. The community should decide if it wants to follow the path showed by him, or stick to the Bitcoin legacy of an unchangeable supply of coins with which people hope to become rich by doing nothing."
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 09:32:15 am by TheOnion »
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

I will put it shortly 'mczarnek' - real currencies do not have bubbles ... read it is as you wish.

TheOnion

Really?  You mean that BTSX isn't a real currency?  I'd call what happened 2 days ago to BTSX a bubble, which I suspect hasn't fully popped.

What makes BTSX bubble proof?  I mean I know that short term they are trying to prop up prices using funds gotten from the IPO.. that won't last long though.

Really?  You mean that BTSX isn't a real currency
No, I SAID REAL CUURUNCES DO NOT HAVE BUBBLES.  (as in period)

I'd call what happened 2 days ago to BTSX a bubble
You can call it whatever you like. (as in period)

... Oh I forgot.. Do you have a point to make or you just wanted to inform me 'what you call what'; and that 'they' are doing whatever according to whatever you have read?

Offline lucky331

• View Profile
Even starting a thread with a topic like that is too aggresive, and offensively attacking an other community that wants to achieve equal goals.
I'd like to remind everyone that we have a netiquette! Everyone on the internet should know about it!

― Confucius

in all fairness:  https://nxtforum.org/general-discussion/nxt-pos-vs-bitshares-dpos/

i suggest change the 'vs' to 'and' in both threads.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

― Confucius

Offline mczarnek

• View Profile

I will put it shortly 'mczarnek' - real currencies do not have bubbles ... read it is as you wish.

TheOnion

Really?  You mean that BTSX isn't a real currency?  I'd call what happened 2 days ago to BTSX a bubble, which I suspect hasn't fully popped.

What makes BTSX bubble proof?  I mean I know that short term they are trying to prop up prices using funds gotten from the IPO.. that won't last long though.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

TheOnion

Offline CalabiYau

We don't have any more time for nxt here.  Read BM's latest blog post on letstalkbitcoin and learn about Bts>nxt, Bts>btc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are now #1 target and will continue to be that way.  People need to realize mr byrnee and his ilk are only the beginning.  I wouldn't feel too much of a need to respond to all of it.  Most of it won't be valid criticism, and will be coming from a place of fear.  Stick with valid criticism and not posts that end in things like "you agree btsx is in a bubble?".  If someone wants a response, they can make a reasonable criticism and it will likely be addressed from what I have seen.  If we feel the need to stoop every time , then our backs will surely be sore and our productivity dwindling.

If I was you guys, I'd hit reddit/bitcointalk and look for random posts about Bitcoin 2.0 etc, or even problems with Bitcoin.  Evangelize.  Point them to our growing (albeit slowly) source of documentation.  It isn't perfect, but I doubt it is any worse than NXT etc.

In fact, we might collect a whole page of reasonable criticisms and the responses.  :)

+5%

Offline mczarnek

• View Profile
I've made some quick comments on all your questions.  I think you should just download the BitsharesX client and give it a shot.. who knows, you may even like it!  :D
Good idea!  I like it.. but I would definitely encourage you to do the same for Wesley's Nxt wallet.  I think you'll be impressed. :)

- nxtad.net allows anyone out their to advertise using Nxt as their crypto currency
Cool I love ads!  Wait.. no I dont.  BitsharesX is a DAC and makes money through transaction fees without need for ads.
Not ads in the Nxt forum or wallet.. check out the link, allows crypto advertisers and publishers to display ads.

- A decentralized marketplace
BTSX is a decentralized exchange.  NXT's marketplace just has user-issued assets.
You don't understand.. what BTSX calls market, Nxt call Asset Exchange.  Nxt has a 'marketplace' that allows selling goods and services as well.

-You can pay your credit card bill using Nxt
You could pay off your credit card with BTSX recent gains  ;)
Not directly!

You guys all agree that BTSX is currently in a bubble?
No.

Not saying it's a bad thing.. it'll definitely end higher than it began but look at price and volume tapering off.. classic bubble. Nothing is certain of course, but I am definitely not getting in yet.  We'll see who's right in a couple weeks :)  Bitshares isn't speculator proof from people just hoping to make a quick buck.

DPOS security in 5 seconds is better than NXT security in 10 minutes. 
Not for long ;)

Bitshares community is better than Nxt community because we don't develop in secret like you are doing.   I am sure you have your reasons, but your claims cannot be challenged nor debated fairly so long as they are secret. 
No the community is very open.. just me being secretive with this one idea, so we can get a head start with it.  I've run it by enough Nxt developers to be confident it should work.  You are right, don't invest in Nxt because I claim to have a better algorithm.. even if you will wish you had :)

I consider C++ better than Java in the long-run. 
I don't.. I consider them equal, Java somewhat protects you from making stupid mistakes that could let someone overflow a bugger  or something like that.  They both have advantages and disadvantages.

I consider BitShares more scalable at VISA levels.... home computers won't be able to forge at VISA bandwidth requirements.   
Given how fast computers are improving.. by the time we get there, probably they will.  They are close at this point.  And not only that but leasing pools will have high speed, high bandwidth computers.. or else people will lease somewhere else.  So it's ok, if some blocks aren't as full as they could be, as long as the leasing pools, which will be doing most of the leasing pick up the slack.

Im getting this as NXT advertising.

Somehow there are 5 points listed for BTSX advantages and 13 for NXT. Perhaps study and fully understand the technology before slinging material in the forums.

Nicely finished off with the bubble theory...

Somewhat correct..  responding to BTSX advertising in nxtforum.org.  Though honestly, I'm enjoying exploring BTSX and once the bubble pops, I may buy in.  I'm impressed by what I've seen.  You guys aren't close to where Nxt is, because Nxt has had a huge lead and has a strong community of it's own.  But I really do just want to start an honest discussion.

I've studied Nxt for 8 months, BTSX for a day.. that's why I'm asking if people could give me bullet points and I will happily add some to the first post.

And yes, Nxt has had bubbles, BTC has had bubbles.. every crypto has had bubbles, nature of the game.  I've seen enough of them and strongly believe BTSX is in a bubble now.  If you let emotions get the best of you, it doesn't feel like a bubble.. look at price and volume and transactions per block.. and it looks like a bubble.  Which isn't a bad thing, I'm surely BTSX will finish much higher than it was a couple weeks ago but it will go down from here.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
We don't have any more time for nxt here.  Read BM's latest blog post on letstalkbitcoin and learn about Bts>nxt, Bts>btc
I have some aversion towards statements which try to kill the friendly discussion. What you are saying is arrogant and on almost the same level as the bitshares = satan post. Be nice and convince them.

Offline emski

• View Profile
    • http://lnkd.in/nPbhxG
-More decentralized.. any who wants to can forge.  Via leased forging you can even just buy some Nxt to lease to a forger.. similar to DPOS's voting system but less likely to become as centralized and anyone who wants can still forge

This is not an advantage of Nxt... BitShares is more decentralized.  While any one "can forge", anyone below a certain percentage ownership cannot do so profitably.  Also the marginal utility argument of adding additional forgers shows there is a limit where additional decentralization costs more than the value it provides.   With BitShares everyone has a say proportional to their stake....

I think at the end of the day Nxt turns into DPOS via leased forging with a different voting algorithm and that is it.
"With BitShares everyone has a say proportional to their stake...."
This is not entirely true for current voting mechanism - largest group* elects all delegates.
* in order to be sure that all delegates will be elected by that group it needs 51%. However with each entity voting for less than 101 delegates, or voting for different set of delegates than the rest of the voters, or abstaining from vote - that percentage lowers. This was extensively discussed in the past.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 06:12:55 am by emski »

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
Getting into a language war isn't going to be very productive.  Like most things it depends upon perspective and definitions.

I concur. You brought up C++ as a strength. I was merely pointing out that in comparing BTSX to NXT, language selection is not really a strength/weakness. Both Java and C++ are decent languages to get the job done, given that the projects have good leadership.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

We are now #1 target and will continue to be that way.  People need to realize mr byrnee and his ilk are only the beginning.  I wouldn't feel too much of a need to respond to all of it.  Most of it won't be valid criticism, and will be coming from a place of fear.  Stick with valid criticism and not posts that end in things like "you agree btsx is in a bubble?".  If someone wants a response, they can make a reasonable criticism and it will likely be addressed from what I have seen.  If we feel the need to stoop every time , then our backs will surely be sore and our productivity dwindling.

If I was you guys, I'd hit reddit/bitcointalk and look for random posts about Bitcoin 2.0 etc, or even problems with Bitcoin.  Evangelize.  Point them to our growing (albeit slowly) source of documentationIt isn't perfect, but I doubt it is any worse than NXT etc.

In fact, we might collect a whole page of reasonable criticisms and the responses.  :)

I like this post on so many levels. Heck, I would have written it myself, if my language skill were native.
Very Onion-like  +5%

Offline bytemaster

Getting into a language war isn't going to be very productive.  Like most things it depends upon perspective and definitions.

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.