Author Topic: Status of BTSX?  (Read 1987 times)

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
Thanks xeroc.

Those instructions work but have a few corrections:

:Downloading the Sources
Should suggest
> cd bitsharesx
NOT cd bitshares_toolkit

:GUI:: Configuration and Compilation
error suggesting a folder that doesn't exist: cd bitshares-toolkit
just ignore that cd and continue on in the bitsharesx folder

Also, although I didn't do it:
System-wide Installation (optional)
> sudo cp programs/qt_wallet/BitSharesX /usr/local/bin/
should be
> sudo cp programs/qt_wallet/bin/BitSharesX /usr/local/bin/

To help readability, it would useful to include an #anchor jump from the end of what is Debian/Ubuntu and ArchLinux over the OSX instructions as the subheading might appear to also be needed for Linux.

The Debian/Ubuntu dependancies suggested are likely correct but I note that on the previous attempt installing just the toolkit I also did this following puppies suggestion:
> sudo apt-get install qt5-default libqt5webkit5-dev npm nodejs-legacy
Thanks a lot .. i fixed that

With only 0.5GB RAM the Core takes ~11hrs and the GUI ~1hr to compile. Having an official BitShares ppa:: repository would be a great next step.
Yhea .. absolutely .. there are a lot of people complaining about the build-it-yourself instructions ...
We just need someone to do it .. Unfortunatelly I am not so firm with ubunut and don't have it around me .. so I am proberbly not the right person to do it.
Maybe you can help out? Interessted in setting a ppa up? Is it difficult?

We need a script. The instructions are just too complicated even for Linux users.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I also thought a little about it and came to the conclusion that only dacsunlimited should release pre-build executables .. for security reasons ...

in the long run we might need deterministic compile tools such as gitian .. (already used by bitcoin and others)

Offline davidpbrown

A quick look suggests it's a relatively simple two step process but is beyond my experience and resources here; if I had another PC spare, I'd be tempted to try. Also, it's important that any PPA is from a trusted source rather than a random user, as any user could tweak the source before upload creating a bad version.

1. create a .deb package
- Build .deb package http://packaging.ubuntu.com/html/packaging-new-software.html

2. upload it to Launchpad; Launchpad then will build the binaries.
Create a ppa repository http://developer.ubuntu.com/publish/apps/other-forms-of-submitting-apps/ppa/

Once the ppa exists it's just a case of advertising it. I expect there is another step to have it in the usual third party indexes but the PPA is all that's needed initially for people to add to their software sources.
฿://1CBxm54Ah5hiYxiUtD7JGYRXykT5Z6ZuMc

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Thanks xeroc.

Should suggest
> cd bitsharesx
NOT cd bitshares_toolkit

should be

To help readability, it would useful to include an #anchor jump from the end of what is Debian/Ubuntu and ArchLinux over the OSX instructions as the subheading might appear to also be needed for Linux.

The Debian/Ubuntu dependancies suggested are likely correct but I note that on the previous attempt installing just the toolkit I also did this following puppies suggestion:
Thanks a lot .. i fixed that

With only 0.5GB RAM the Core takes ~11hrs and the GUI ~1hr to compile. Having an official BitShares ppa:: repository would be a great next step.
Yhea .. absolutely .. there are a lot of people complaining about the build-it-yourself instructions ...
We just need someone to do it .. Unfortunatelly I am not so firm with ubunut and don't have it around me .. so I am proberbly not the right person to do it.

Offline davidpbrown

Thanks xeroc.

Should suggest
> cd bitsharesx
NOT cd bitshares_toolkit

should be

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
you pretty much compiled the bitshares_toolkit and not the bitsharesx client ...
go over here:
http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/BuildInstructionsBitSharesX

Note:

The set of instructions is almost identical to those in Building BitShares XTS (test network).

Differences:

Source code is located at https://github.com/dacsunlimited/bitsharesx instead of https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares_toolkit
    Compile the GUI with the target BitSharesX instead of BitSharesXT

Offline davidpbrown

So, I can't see any obvious status confirmation that BTSX is ready and trusted yet and I'm left wondering exactly we should import PTS wallets with confidence.

What I have atm compiled just now and I take to be a test version as it's clearly suggesting Test Network. When does BTSX switch to Live network and will that require another compile effort on my part? It would be great to see an official repository to save Linux users having to compile after each update - obviously that would help encourage a lot more new users too.

Will future snapshots create those new assets directly or will users have to claim those?