Author Topic: Why are linux users being ignored???  (Read 4374 times)

38PTSWarrior

It works, it doesn't crash, the beautiful market, and the transactions are showing.. I am ready!
Somehow create_wallet_from_json didn't work in the console, so I copied my wallet's folder over to the right place, started again and now everything is super. It says "not connected" but much better than before, where it was always jumping between not connected, syncing and so on.

Xeroc, they announced that they would provide a solution for linux. I think what they need now is a mobile massage team to relax the shoulder/neck area, maybe lower back, face.. haha

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Can someone please provide a download link for a linux binary that you have compiled yourself. I have an older compiler on my distro and don't want to go through dependency issues right now.
That depends ALOT on the distribution you are running and the version of the libraries installed.

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline hamiltino

• View Profile
Can someone please provide a download link for a linux binary that you have compiled yourself. I have an older compiler on my distro and don't want to go through dependency issues right now.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
there's now also a GUI version for archlinux:

yaourt -S bitsharesx-gui-git

application is called BitSharesX

Someone brave to test it out?

BTW. the ArchLinux Packages need to be compile .. It just makes things easier :)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Would some ArchLinux user be willing to try out this PKGBUILD:

yaourt -S bitsharesx-git

binary is then called bitsharesx
NO GUI!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 05:59:27 pm by xeroc »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Arch Linux user here, i dont mind compiling stuff. but from day one i discovered about bitshares and related project, i end up create packages for my own need, like PTS, Keyhotee, and BitShares X.

unfortunately since version 0.7.xx Keyhotee no longger compile, error GetGitRevisionDescription bla bla bla. i cannot figure out solution for this. today im trying to upgrade BitShares X 0.4.7 failed at 98%, ah well maybe i should wait for next version.  :D

end of rant

hehehe, :)
I am currently testing a self-written AUR PKGBUILD ... gonna publish later today ..
Keyhotee has the same issues here :(

Offline sva_h4cky0

• onore dikeido
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: sva-h4cky0
Arch Linux user here, i dont mind compiling stuff. but from day one i discovered about bitshares and related project, i end up create packages for my own need, like PTS, Keyhotee, and BitShares X.

unfortunately since version 0.7.xx Keyhotee no longger compile, error GetGitRevisionDescription bla bla bla. i cannot figure out solution for this. today im trying to upgrade BitShares X 0.4.7 failed at 98%, ah well maybe i should wait for next version.  :D

end of rant

hehehe, :)
天の道を行き、総てを司る! Ten no michi o iki, subete o tsukasadoru!

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH

Offline maqifrnswa

• View Profile
If you all can put together a pull request for a script that will package linux binaries for release then I am sure DAC Sun will use it.   The issue right now is that releases are coming out daily and building for 3x platforms is 50% more work.   I think that linux users can either build from source or wait until the first "stable" release is out and binaries are produced for it.

I think, at least for ubuntu, this is already done (see my post a few above). I can make that into a script so they just have to run
Code: [Select]
$ VER=0.4.7 release_bitshares_PPA.shand it will build and upload to whatever PPA the set up for whatever tag they make VER equal to. If they want to control their own PPA, I can show them how to set up their own PPA on their own servers if they don't trust Canonical (or me). Their own PPA can be gpg signed with their own key.

If they want to use gitian, they can use that too - I think we just need some indication from them about what workflow would be acceptable to them and how they want to do distribution
maintains an Ubuntu PPA: https://launchpad.net/~showard314/+archive/ubuntu/bitshares [15% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval maqifrnswa true [50% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval delegate1.maqifrnswa true

Offline maqifrnswa

• View Profile
ok ... the term "forcing" was chosen unwisely .. no one can force them .. but we can show them that (at least for some platforms) a binary is quickly made

that would be great, and I think we have enough people that if DSL just tells us what system they want to use (gitian, self-hosted and signed PPAs, their own system) we as a community can provide them with scripts that just work and update whatever they choose.
maintains an Ubuntu PPA: https://launchpad.net/~showard314/+archive/ubuntu/bitshares [15% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval maqifrnswa true [50% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval delegate1.maqifrnswa true

Offline bytemaster

If you all can put together a pull request for a script that will package linux binaries for release then I am sure DAC Sun will use it.   The issue right now is that releases are coming out daily and building for 3x platforms is 50% more work.   I think that linux users can either build from source or wait until the first "stable" release is out and binaries are produced for it.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
ok ... the term "forcing" was chosen unwisely .. no one can force them .. but we can show them that (at least for some platforms) a binary is quickly made

Offline maqifrnswa

• View Profile
Maybe we should force dacsunlimited to build theses sources ..

+5%

+5% but how do you force anyone to do anything? It's far from ideal, but right now non-technical users either have to trust me (and Canonical) or build themselves. Being that I'm a DD with upload access to the entire debian and ubuntu archive, I think there is some reason to trust me - but I wouldn't fault anyone that doesn't.  My ppa is to the point that it is updated with four commands, and DSL could just take it over:
Code: [Select]
$ dch -i
$ ./debian/rules get-orig-source
$ dpkg-buildpackage -S -sa
$ dput ppa:showard314/bitshares ../{new changes file}

Anyone can copy my debian directory and do it themselves if they don't trust me
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 02:16:02 pm by maqifrnswa »

Offline oldman

• View Profile
I too am a Linux user, but I do understand rollout will follow user base:

Ie. Win -> Mac -> Linux

All things come to he who waits.