Author Topic: Do in need to register my BitSharesX Account  (Read 1911 times)

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
It DOES make a difference in security if you want to think of your account in terms of the name.

Your account is not actually named anything until you register. Nobody can see your name in your local wallet.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
In contrast to NXT where you have a "brainwallet" .. the passphrase in BTSX just encrypts the random wallet private key ..
you need both to access your funds!

Offline robrigo

What prevents someone from doing a brute-force or other attack and being able to guess passwords.  If someone is able to get my password, do they have full access to my account from anywhere?

Thanks

Nope, because your password is linked to your wallet file on your local machine.

Offline Helikopterben

• View Profile
What prevents someone from doing a brute-force or other attack and being able to guess passwords.  If someone is able to get my password, do they have full access to my account from anywhere?

Thanks

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
still doesn't make it more secure when you register ... it just that you tell the whole world taht pubkey A belongs to accountname foobar .. nothing more .. transactions don't go to that public key but TITAN dereived new addresses .. so .. either way .. security is the same

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Thanks for the advise, but from a security prospective it doesn't matter?
nop .. does not change anything

Offline stuartcharles

• View Profile
it's always a good idea to register an account name the same as your forum screen name to prevent other people from using it.

Thanks for the advise, but from a security prospective it doesn't matter?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
registring your account does not change any thing securitywise .. it just makes things lot easier!

Offline lucky331

• View Profile
it's always a good idea to register an account name the same as your forum screen name to prevent other people from using it. 

Offline stuartcharles

• View Profile
First of all congratulations to you all, ive just been on holiday for 10 days and come back to.. wow..

I am wondering, from a security prospective, are my BTSX's any more safe if i register my account?