Author Topic: How college age (and younger) will make BitShares the next big success story.  (Read 7199 times)

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
bitsapphire, I think THAT is the best idea i've heard proposed in months. Has a viral potential built into it.  Who has the experience to build such an app? We should green light this kind of project. B

The wallet we're developing will have that in V2. We're building it on a tech stack which will work on all platforms, including mobile. We will most likely get an announcement to the community soon. You have the preliminary designs already in your inbox btw.

We've also looked at Venmo's patents. As our current understanding goes their patent would not affect such an implementation. We would like to get a second opinion on this from somebody on the forum though.

Dan and the team still need to figure out how to do thin clients with BitSharesX for this to happen though. Smartphones aren't made for storing blockchains.

Let us now what you think :)

I am  +5% for this idea.
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline bitsapphire

bitsapphire, I think THAT is the best idea i've heard proposed in months. Has a viral potential built into it.  Who has the experience to build such an app? We should green light this kind of project. B

The wallet we're developing will have that in V2. We're building it on a tech stack which will work on all platforms, including mobile. We will most likely get an announcement to the community soon. You have the preliminary designs already in your inbox btw.

We've also looked at Venmo's patents. As our current understanding goes their patent would not affect such an implementation. We would like to get a second opinion on this from somebody on the forum though.

Dan and the team still need to figure out how to do thin clients with BitSharesX for this to happen though. Smartphones aren't made for storing blockchains.

Let us now what you think :)
Register and get your personal Moonstone Wallet Beta here: https://moonstone.io/login-register.html

Offline MktDirector

• View Profile

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
I think **mobile** [wallet] and **gamification** [of the market] will be 2 large sectors to focus on with regards to the younger market.  If you can make it fun for them to learn and make money - you're in.
I agree with this. That is what got people into Bitcoin mining.

But there has to be low barrier to entry like in the early days of Bitcoin mining and we have to avoid Pay to Win. Young gamers despise Pay to Win.

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Bitcoin3D

• Follow me: https://twitter.com/Bitcoin3D
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcoin3d
This is a good Idea. Also I think we need several more in depth animated educational videos with up to date aesthetics of its own that not just copy the aesthetics of the old Bitcoin video. Im not saying I don like the current Bitshares video but I do believe that  it could make more impact if there was an even better production behind it. Also since the concept of Bitshares is even trickier to wrap your head around I think there is a need to make pedagogic simple educational videos that goes more into depth with subsets of how the different shares would actually work in practice. For instance there could be one that solely focus on Bitshares Music. Let me know what you think.
Bitcoin address: 19uYMBnPFsho8HDKMedtHP4gLgjoD1q34F

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
You want a tidal wave of capital? Market bitShares to the GenX/Z/Millennials as the investment for a new generation. A technologically and morally superior alternative to Wall Street.

BTSX is not subject to the corruption of Wall Street, Big Bank, Big Gov.

You could show some slick market cap graphs and use phrases like "It's your turn."

Another thought - the younger gens have become accustomed to reading about members of their peer group becoming wealthy through various start ups.

Participation in the wealth created by these start ups has been largely limited to insiders and VC's. I know, from various conversations with GenX/Z/Millennials, that there is a general frustration with wealth creating vehicles of their generations being closed to all except a select few.

May want to look at marketing BTSX as a game-changing start-up that is open to anyone...

THIS!  +5% +5%

We need to shift the perception of highly educated young people,

that they can invest profitably, that it is fair and that they deserve the chance to get a share in next gen technologies like Twitter, Facebook, Oculous Rift etc. that belong to their generation.

I love the example that the people who crowdfunded Oculous Rift would have gotten 150x..

Found an article outlining this argument explicitly! Worth using for sure,

http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/28/5557120/what-if-oculus-rift-kickstarter-backers-had-gotten-equity
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 07:06:03 pm by CLains »

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
I'm another old guy. But what about a phone app? I teach college and my students try to do everything (from research to term papers) on their phones.

One of our ideas is a mobile wallet which works like Venmo, meaning it has all potential to become viral and it would solve the identity registration issue as you get funds upfront from a friend.

People would be able to send bitUSD via a mobile app to any phone number. That phone number would receive an SMS with a link telling them that they received X amount of bitUSD from their friend and that they need to download the wallet app to access them. Part of the sent funds would be used to register the user's identity on the blockchain.

This would be just as viral as viber, whatsup, venmo, etc as it uses the same viral vector. Furthermore it could be just as disruptive to global remittance as whatsup and Viber are to the international sms/phonecall business.

Would there be any interest in the community for such an app at this stage?

Heck yes, please build it!

Yes this sounds very good. If you can send 'X' amount of BTSX to a bunch of friends just by their phone number, this will certainly help the spread of BTSX.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
I'm another old guy. But what about a phone app? I teach college and my students try to do everything (from research to term papers) on their phones.

One of our ideas is a mobile wallet which works like Venmo, meaning it has all potential to become viral and it would solve the identity registration issue as you get funds upfront from a friend.

People would be able to send bitUSD via a mobile app to any phone number. That phone number would receive an SMS with a link telling them that they received X amount of bitUSD from their friend and that they need to download the wallet app to access them. Part of the sent funds would be used to register the user's identity on the blockchain.

This would be just as viral as viber, whatsup, venmo, etc as it uses the same viral vector. Furthermore it could be just as disruptive to global remittance as whatsup and Viber are to the international sms/phonecall business.

Heck yes, please build it!

Offline bitsapphire

Register and get your personal Moonstone Wallet Beta here: https://moonstone.io/login-register.html

Offline oldman

• View Profile
I agree and can confirm many/most Boomers I know are associating crypto with scam.

Offline JakeThePanda

• View Profile
This isn't really on topic but this is something I've been thinking about.  One thing to be mindful of is to market without using the word "crypto".  The scammy side of crypto looks a lot like unregulated wall street.  Scams galore.  Just look at the alt-coin announcement page of Bitcointalk to see what I mean.  Let's make sure we separate Bitshares from alt-coins as much as possible.  The words "crypto" and "alt-coin" are becoming toxic.

Sorry, back on topic.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 05:04:41 pm by JakeThePanda »

Offline G1ng3rBr34dM4n

Look up the stats on the investment holdings of Gen X, Millenneals and Generation Z. They are holding cash/debt instruments and are under-exposed to income-generating assets.

The Boomers benefited from the 1960-2000 stock market run and are generally comfortable with investing in the stock markets.

The generations that followed have witnessed one horrible crash after another. The SP500 has not moved much since the 2000s and the volatility has been absurd. Just pull the 50 year SP500 chart.

The younger generations do not trust Wall Street with their money. Popular opinion is that Wall Street, Big Bank and Big Gov are all in bed together and conspire to funnel wealth from the general public.

But the younger generations are also highly educated and understand the need to invest in income producing assets. They just don't support the status quo and have voted with their feet.

You want a tidal wave of capital? Market bitShares to the GenX/Z/Millennials as the investment for a new generation. A technologically and morally superior alternative to Wall Street.

You could show some slick market cap graphs and use phrases like "It's your turn."

The mobile interface is critical, but the message should not be "buy BTSX because we have cool doodads". It should be "BTSX is a profitable way to invest without trusting Wall Street/Big Bank/Big Gov with your money. We understand how you prefer to carry out business, so here are some best-of-class mobile apps to make things quick, convenient and easy."

+5%

I'm a millennial myself and have NOTHING in the stock market.

bitbro

Bts music could really draw in the youth too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MktDirector

• View Profile
Wow. Agreed:  mobile and gamification.  Very important.   

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
Look up the stats on the investment holdings of Gen X, Millenneals and Generation Z. They are holding cash/debt instruments and are under-exposed to income-generating assets.

The Boomers benefited from the 1960-2000 stock market run and are generally comfortable with investing in the stock markets.

The generations that followed have witnessed one horrible crash after another. The SP500 has not moved much since the 2000s and the volatility has been absurd. Just pull the 50 year SP500 chart.

The younger generations do not trust Wall Street with their money. Popular opinion is that Wall Street, Big Bank and Big Gov are all in bed together and conspire to funnel wealth from the general public.

But the younger generations are also highly educated and understand the need to invest in income producing assets. They just don't support the status quo and have voted with their feet.

The mobile interface is critical, but the message should not be "buy BTSX because we have cool doodads". It should be "BTSX is a profitable way to invest without trusting Wall Street/Big Bank/Big Gov with your money. We understand how you prefer to carry out business, so here are some best-of-class mobile apps to make things quick, convenient and easy."

Right on!
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.