Author Topic: Litecoin Sharedrop Fork  (Read 11736 times)

Offline fuzzy

If we surpass them on coinmarket cap that is when the idea of a fork would make sense to discuss in my opinion. Also we should know what we are doing because without us to maintain the pegs it would be completely useless.

What we do agree on is calling it Liteshares. That is a badass name.
+5%
+5%
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 03:49:48 am by fuznuts »
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline emailtooaj

If we surpass them on coinmarket cap that is when the idea of a fork would make sense to discuss in my opinion. Also we should know what we are doing because without us to maintain the pegs it would be completely useless.

What we do agree on is calling it Liteshares. That is a badass name.

+5%
Sound Editor of Beyondbitcoin Hangouts. Listen to latest here - https://beyondbitcoin.org support the Hangouts! BTS Tri-Fold Brochure https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,15169.0.html
Tip BROWNIE.PTS to EMAILTOOAJ

Offline fuzzy

The DIY innovator doesn't need any "scientific credentials. "
We are all born scientist unfortunately our educational system just teaches us
To memorize facts and squashes curiosity. In a different time and place this worked well but not anymore.

I'm just trying to say that Charles doesn't need to have scientific credentials to run this experiment. It would be like saying Dan needs to have a PHD in economics in order for him to run the experiment that is Bitshares.

I 100% agree with you on this actually.  The only problem is that it fails to speak to the underlying point.  How does Charles find himself in all these different countries...roaming the world, making deals in Switzerland while "on vacation from crypto"?  Who funds his ventures? How does his pet project end up being promoted via video commercials on youtube before funding even began?  How does he so easily get onto mainstream media outlets to endorse said project (without even having a product) when most all other "coins" don't even make it onto the radar? 

Literally all these questions require answering.  Otherwise it is silly for Charles to think any action he wants to take to "help" the community will be trusted.  Trust is earned...

I know it is hard to ask and even sounds outright mean...but we have to really think about why we are all here.  Sure a small part of it is to make money and retire early on an island somewhere...but this world has real problems and the real Satoshi Nakamoto even put his/her/their primary reason for Bitcoin's creation into the Genesis Block:

// The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks

Do we think Satoshi would have stayed anonymous if he/she/they felt there were no genuine risks posed by these powers that are fueled by Debt and Death?   
If we spoke to Satoshi today, would he/she/they laughingly ignore claims of the NSA's total surveillance grid?  What of the obvious centralization of power into the hands of a few?  Manipulated Markets?  The sadistic cult-like organizations that grow up around any power that goes unchecked for a century?

What Would Satoshi Say about the enemies to technologies that decentralize power down to the level of sovereign individuals?  Would he/she/they laughingly deny secret societies (societies of powerful people colluding in secret--I know never happened before)?  Would he/she/they laugh if I said releasing this technology would make enemies among these groups?

I'm done with this part of the topic though and hope we can get back to the idea of future btsx forks. 

In light of the prior summoning of Satoshi's ghost in this post, I'd ask in response to the thoughts of forking to Litecoin:
What would Satoshi Do?   I believe the answers to these questions are all found in why Bitcoin was released to the world.  If ANY of us stray from that reason...I think we are also straying from what will be best for all our portfolios in the end.  Just my two btsx. 

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
  • BitShares: gentso
Don't get involved with the actual forking, if they do it let them do it on their own. IF they do it and IF they honor the social contract (the higher the percent the more incentive of course) then we should support it.

The toolkit is free so why not get something out of it.

I find it odd that many crypto types don't look at other crypto's for what they are: Competitors : someone who is trying to win or do better than all others especially in business or sports : someone who is competing : b :  one selling or buying goods or services in the same market as another

We are all in the same market. Many of us have the same broad goals. No one wanted to make friends or partner with us in any meaningful way until we made a splash. We should make strategic alliances and help dev's of coins that help us other then that....... I say lets bleed the market cap of every non-innovative coin out their. Its a crypto war so let the best technology win.

“Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”

― H.L. Mencken, Prejudices: First Series

Forks are fine but blatant copies are not. Honestly we shouldn't be pushing for a fork until we know how to use what we have.

What is the true wealth of what we have with the Bitshares toolkit? What untapped ideas do we have which can be used creatively with the Bitshares toolkit?

I always push for 50/50 split between AGS PTS and the community we want to sharedrop to. I also push for added value to both communities. To create value you have to figure out something people couldn't do efficiently before and find a way to empower people to do it in a DAC.

I think you can have a new Bitshares X chain but we don't need it right now. We need more DACs though to spread DPoS.
I wasn't very clear, I was saying IF it is forked then we should support it. I am not for forking but IF it happens ( don't think it will).

As for the wealth of the toolkit, isn't it available for anyone to use? I agree their are tons of untapped ideas but the kit itself is free. Its the community and support we give that is supposed to make honoring pts/ags worth the price of the social contract.

I also agree we don't need a new bitshares x chain. This one is just getting started not reason to create another one yet.

In the end my ideas are simple suck market cap/liquidity (I think these are fine gauges for a banking platform) out of alts that have no unique features, are out dated or are not being actively developed.
Use said market cap/liquidity to make a platform that is a bank account and exchange all in one across a decentralized network.

Profit?

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
I fully support anyone planning to do this but I think it will be a spectacular failure. No AGS resources should be committed to this.

And/or  time (in any way shape or form) by you or anybody in the development team*.

* 'development team' in its broadest definition.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 02:32:31 am by TheOnion »
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

charleshoskinson

Dan doesn't have a PhD!!!??? Anyway sorry guys for being snippy. Hal ' s death made me a bit sad.

Offline jae208

• View Profile
The DIY innovator doesn't need any "scientific credentials. "
We are all born scientist unfortunately our educational system just teaches us
To memorize facts and squashes curiosity. In a different time and place this worked well but not anymore.

I'm just trying to say that Charles doesn't need to have scientific credentials to run this experiment. It would be like saying Dan needs to have a PHD in economics in order for him to run the experiment that is Bitshares.
http://bitsharestutorials.com A work in progress
Subscribe to the Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/BitsharesTutorials

Offline fuzzy

what are your scientific credentials again?

New World Order academy for a few years and then went on to the Illuminati group for while. You know they do a lot of human experiments :)
Nice dodge charles, but really I think it is kind of important for an actual answer. Why is it so hard?

Id think you would want to open up so everyone can know you can be trusted.  Just think how much that simple gesture would help when you are trying to get community involvement--which nearly always ends up with you frustrated.

I mean is it really so silly to think that the old paradigm would see crypto as both a great opportunity...and a great threat?   And if this is true, would they not send agents with agendas? If I were you id go out of my way to ensure people know im not part of that effort.

Cant believe im going to say this...but im actually trying to help you! I like some of your ideas..and even agree with them.  Good luck with everything charles...really. please consider my points.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 11:29:48 pm by fuznuts »

Offline gamey

• View Profile

So much will be marketing.  If some kid does this in his basement it isn't going to be near as successful as a name to make it shine in the crypto-light.  Lets make it happen !

The thing is forking BTSX means you're going to be at a loss going forward merging the changes.  You're almost better not even forking it.  We just need some better splash art.  You like your picture with or without beard, Charles ?

CHLiteCoin  chiclit's.  hrmmmm.. 

Anyway, I kid.. sorta..  but if you want to partner up give me a holla
I speak for myself and only myself.

charleshoskinson

I should have been more clear. I expect "it" to be a failure in the sense that it will demonstrate that sharedrops on random crypto-equities will not cause value transfer like they do for PTS. From the perspective it being an experiment there is of course no way to "fail" - I'm saying I think it's not worth even trying, we won't learn enough.

Which is entirely why I'm soliciting advice about features, functionality and also transfer methodology (sharedrops, PoB). There is this abstract notion of stickiness in a network where people tend to stay in a network once it acquires a critical mass even when the network is inferior in features to another (think operating systems, social networks and search engines for example). With a value transfer, you have an explicit economic layer that's built in.

I expect "it" to be a failure in the sense that it will demonstrate that sharedrops on random crypto-equities will not cause value transfer like they do for PTS

Actually this result would be very good data because then you can refine future experiments against a benchmark.

what are your scientific credentials again?

New World Order academy for a few years and then went on to the Illuminati group for while. You know they do a lot of human experiments :)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 10:59:58 pm by charleshoskinson »

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
I fully support anyone planning to do this but I think it will be a spectacular failure. No AGS resources should be committed to this.

Jesus christ. Alright one last time and then I'm done trying to explain what I'm discussing. This has NOTHING TO DO WITH CREATING A PARTICULAR ALTCOIN. It's a question about how to measure and transfer the value of a given cryptocurrency. I am arguing that price and liquidity alone are poor measures of the actual value of the network. So I'm asking how to structure an experiment to actually validate a measure hypothesis as well as examine how transfer works. I am conjecturing that Litecoin is the best testbed for the experiment. The goal is to understand this in general and not make a fucking altcoin.

You guys seem to have this enormous mental block.

I should have been more clear. I expect "it" to be a failure in the sense that it will demonstrate that sharedrops on random crypto-equities will not cause value transfer like they do for PTS. From the perspective it being an experiment there is of course no way to "fail" - I'm saying I think it's not worth even trying, we won't learn enough.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

charleshoskinson

Jesus christ. Alright one last time and then I'm done trying to explain what I'm discussing. This has NOTHING TO DO WITH CREATING A PARTICULAR ALTCOIN. It's a question about how to measure and transfer the value of a given cryptocurrency. I am arguing that price and liquidity alone are poor measures of the actual value of the network. So I'm asking how to structure an experiment to actually validate a measure hypothesis as well as examine how transfer works. I am conjecturing that Litecoin is the best testbed for the experiment. The goal is to understand this in general and not make a fucking altcoin.

You guys seem to have this enormous mental block. Experiments are designed to provide insight into something you want to study. If no one migrates, then you've probably learned something. Also, I don't need, have ever sought, nor will accept AGS funds for any experiment I conduct.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 10:52:55 pm by charleshoskinson »

Offline gamey

• View Profile
No that's not what I said and if you don't understand then I don't have time to explain it I'm sorry. This has nothing to do with creating a coin as an end goal. I've created too many coins already.

There were other threads. 

For clarity from me - I am also addressing the previous threads where you were very strongly in favor of a new coin.  I'm trying to get the overall CH view because I suspect you've put far more thought into long term strategies than 99%+ of the users here.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 10:46:56 pm by gamey »
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
Don't get involved with the actual forking, if they do it let them do it on their own. IF they do it and IF they honor the social contract (the higher the percent the more incentive of course) then we should support it.

The toolkit is free so why not get something out of it.

I find it odd that many crypto types don't look at other crypto's for what they are: Competitors : someone who is trying to win or do better than all others especially in business or sports : someone who is competing : b :  one selling or buying goods or services in the same market as another

We are all in the same market. Many of us have the same broad goals. No one wanted to make friends or partner with us in any meaningful way until we made a splash. We should make strategic alliances and help dev's of coins that help us other then that....... I say lets bleed the market cap of every non-innovative coin out their. Its a crypto war so let the best technology win.

“Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”

― H.L. Mencken, Prejudices: First Series

Forks are fine but blatant copies are not. Honestly we shouldn't be pushing for a fork until we know how to use what we have.

What is the true wealth of what we have with the Bitshares toolkit? What untapped ideas do we have which can be used creatively with the Bitshares toolkit?

I always push for 50/50 split between AGS PTS and the community we want to sharedrop to. I also push for added value to both communities. To create value you have to figure out something people couldn't do efficiently before and find a way to empower people to do it in a DAC.

I think you can have a new Bitshares X chain but we don't need it right now. We need more DACs though to spread DPoS.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 10:46:50 pm by luckybit »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.