Author Topic: SPAM - A cost of success  (Read 4117 times)

Offline GaltReport

I've faced this many times.  Need Captcha on registration, enough active moderators and the ability to do IP bans as a last resort.

Offline Riverhead

in the VERY end, we could integrate the forum into keyhotee/keyid/BitShares and have it as a 'advanced' troll box ... just without the 'trolling' :-)

+5% +5% . As much as I hate the trollbox on BTC-e it can be entertaining and you can't have a circus without screaming kids. I think it'd really increase volume. Also, it should be really easy to turn off :).

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
in the VERY end, we could integrate the forum into keyhotee/keyid/BitShares and have it as a 'advanced' troll box ... just without the 'trolling' :-)

Offline Riverhead

I like the idea of a captcha for anyone that isn't a "Full Member".

I think youre onto something here. But it should be for lets say for over 5 posts per day untill you are a fell member. I.e. if youre a newbe no captcha for first 5 posts. Also maybe a time frame for posting until you are a full member.

I think there's a limit to how complex the rules can be with the stock forum without some serious customization.

I like the KeyID but that's a lot of hoops for a new user to jump through who may already be struggling with the technology.

Offline serejandmyself

• View Profile

I think youre onto something here. But it should be for lets say for over 5 posts per day untill you are a fell member. I.e. if youre a newbe no captcha for first 5 posts. Also maybe a time frame for posting until you are a full member.
btsx - bitsharesrussia

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
having keyIDs linked to a keyhotee profile gives us a 'reputation' level already .. so we can use that one and up/down vote people

Offline Riverhead

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
So now that we're gaining a lot of attention we're going to be increasingly attracting the attention of the script kiddies.

Thoughts on preventing us getting swamped with this sort of thing? I am loath to use a newbie thread you need to somehow graduate from like bitcointalk (been a member over a year and still can't post lol).

Our spammer tonight is going to be the first of many. I'm looking at you, Bitsapphire :) .

The solutions to spam:

1) Adopt KeyID for forum logins.
2) Use reputation and microtransactions to stop spammers.
2.1) Let people pay a small fee to post in certain sections of the forum (like a penny a post) if they are not known members of the community.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 09:36:57 am by luckybit »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline serejandmyself

• View Profile
So now that we're gaining a lot of attention we're going to be increasingly attracting the attention of the script kiddies.

Thoughts on preventing us getting swamped with this sort of thing? I am loath to use a newbie thread you need to somehow graduate from like bitcointalk (been a member over a year and still can't post lol).

Our spammer tonight is going to be the first of many. I'm looking at you, Bitsapphire :) .

But you have to understand that its part of becoming "pop music" (an analogy). I mean if you become the beatles then you will have fans waiting you wherever you go and nothing you can do about it. You can get sunglasses, get dressed diffently, go other ways etc.

And you know what? Its not actually so bad. This spam is kinda healthy. I mean i do agree that i dont want to see 1500 topics every day asking "how do i register" or "where is it best to store my btsx". BUT that is part of becoming popular to the masses. We wil have to just deal with it and my advise it to moderate, but not to overexagurate. As even a scrypt kid that you ban out of here can bring 5 new kids if he gets interested in btsx.
I do not think they are talking about that here. I do not know if the threads are already gone, but somebody posted like 50 same name threads, in all kinds of sub-forums, selling BTSX for whatever price, in just a matter of minutes.

Oh.... well i guess my bad.... i didnt see those. In what i wrote, by moderate moderation i meant deleting those kind of threads  :D
btsx - bitsharesrussia

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

But you have to understand that its part of becoming "pop music" (an analogy). I mean if you become the beatles then you will have fans waiting you wherever you go and nothing you can do about it. You can get sunglasses, get dressed diffently, go other ways etc.

And you know what? Its not actually so bad. This spam is kinda healthy. I mean i do agree that i dont want to see 1500 topics every day asking "how do i register" or "where is it best to store my btsx". BUT that is part of becoming popular to the masses. We wil have to just deal with it and my advise it to moderate, but not to overexagurate. As even a scrypt kid that you ban out of here can bring 5 new kids if he gets interested in btsx.
I do not think they are talking about that here. I do not know if the threads are already gone, but somebody posted like 50 same name threads, in all kinds of sub-forums, selling BTSX for whatever price, in just a matter of minutes.
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline serejandmyself

• View Profile

btsx - bitsharesrussia

Offline oco101

• View Profile
Seriously why is this spam staying there that long ?  bitsapphire ....come on this is ridicule .......

Offline onceuponatime

Bans won't work. Did you see his username? It was script generated. For all we know it's just a script running on a cron to hit us daily, weekly, or monthly.

Active moderation and trusted delegates would be the easiest solution. If it's not a script generated name we could pseudo ban them. Basically it's like a global ignore. They can still post and read posts but no one can see anything they do. They do not know this has been done to them. It's a particularly nasty thing to do to a real person but a spammer isn't really a person.

I am on the forum a lot, so I know that this spammer has been banned the last several days in a row (under newly created user names). He just changes his username, logs on and spams 42 threads and then leaves, usually before being banned. Back the next day with 42 spams of the same message (message hasn't changed one iota since first day).

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
Bans won't work. Did you see his username? It was script generated. For all we know it's just a script running on a cron to hit us daily, weekly, or monthly.

Active moderation and trusted delegates would be the easiest solution. If it's not a script generated name we could pseudo ban them. Basically it's like a global ignore. They can still post and read posts but no one can see anything they do. They do not know this has been done to them. It's a particularly nasty thing to do to a real person but a spammer isn't really a person.

Wow, that is so cool!

On a second thought, I am pretty sure some moderators will be happy to see me banned/ignored, so I do not know :)
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline Riverhead

Well, then a simple captcha will suffice as well, maybe those new fancy ones (yeah they do get broken by paid services as well). Bound together with a seconds-before-next-post property should be ok for newcomers so they can post like ones an hour/day until they mature. So many ways to solve this but i think the timing between posts is the most important property on which to judge for newcomers.

That's a fantastic idea.  Perhaps that until you reach Full Member or whatever the first "rank" is after a hundred posts or so.