Author Topic: Windows users left behind: Hard forking 0.4.9 version won't work on ANY Win7 box  (Read 4253 times)

Offline _draven

• View Profile
0.4.9-a has the same crash just short of block 300,000

I removed all files except wallet, and sync again and it works now I have 8 connections. No crash since either.

It worked for me in Windows 7 x64 and wallet 0.4.9-a
It took a while to disappear "not connected" but then synchronized, then "wallet_rescan_blockchain" and then everything OK:
- correct balances
- no "UNKNOWNS"
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 02:46:10 pm by _draven »

Offline Thiball

• View Profile
It's working for me.

Win 8.1 and it runs perfectly since the last update.
BTSX : thiball

Offline Riverhead

It's much more stable running it once it's synced.  To get synced on Windows with 0.4.9a, try going to the bin directory and running bitshares_client instead of BitSharesX.  That will run the console version only, which seems to handle syncing better than with the GUI.

This is a fantastic suggestion.  +5%

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile
It's much more stable running it once it's synced.  To get synced on Windows with 0.4.9a, try going to the bin directory and running bitshares_client instead of BitSharesX.  That will run the console version only, which seems to handle syncing better than with the GUI.

Offline Riverhead

I deleted everything, including moving my wallet directory out (may not have mattered) from the %AppData%\Bitshares X directory by doing a shift-delete on the directory. Relaunched 0.4.9-a.exe. It seemed to sync much faster with a nice fresh AppData\BitShares directory and once sync'd I copied my default wallet back in and it's been stable ever since. All my cash is finally accounted for. There are still a couple "UNKNOWNS" in my transaction history but all my balances are correct.

This was after spending nearly all day yesterday refreshing, reinstalling, etc. Nothing seemed to work until I deleted the AppData data directory.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Wifi shouldnt be an issue .. the wallet doesnt know about your type of connection... you access point might have an issue with 100+ connections

Offline CalabiYau

0.4.9a is working here without severe bugs on Win7/64. (first version ever - surprise  8))

However the syncing issues were significantly reduced on linux & win7 if the client is connected via ethernet cable instead of the wifi box. Don`t know if it is a local issue but no big deal to give it a try.

Offline cike

• View Profile
BTS:cike

Offline joele

• View Profile

Offline cike

• View Profile
0.4.8 - b on the margin of return amount, I can't find it on the 0.4.9
BTS:cike

Ggozzo

Here's a recipe that ended up working:

1. Uninstall the old version
2. Wipe out old AppData/Roaming/BitShare X directory
3. Start the sync but do NOT import your old wallet until the sync is complete
4. Import your old wallet.

File -> Quit after step 4 hangs indefinitely

Just did this on two machines and it worked. I had to wipe everything, including wallet folder. I didn't import until sync was done, then rescan the blockchain.

Everything is good now!

Don't wipe your AppData\Roaming folder unless you backed up your wallet or copied the privatekey somewhere!

Offline alexkravets

• View Profile
Here's a recipe that ended up working:

1. Uninstall the old version
2. Wipe out old AppData/Roaming/BitShare X directory AFTER you backed up your wallet
3. Start the sync but do NOT import your old wallet until the sync is complete
4. Import your old wallet.

File -> Quit after step 4 hangs indefinitely
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 12:47:08 am by alexkravets »

Offline biophil

• Professor of Computer Science
    • View Profile
    • My Academic Website
  • BitShares: biophil

I just got .4.9.a to sync fully in Windows.  Will see if it stays working.

Me too, clean install, brand-new account. I got it to sync all the way, registered my new account, and then started poking around the bitUSD market and before I could place any orders it crashed. Crash report sent, now I'll see if I can get the client going again...

Got it started again, it is rescanning the blockchain (I didn't ask it to; is that normal?), and I ran debug_list_errors and got "no errors."

I'm able to place orders on the exchange. No more crashes yet...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 08:13:05 pm by biophil »
Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."

Offline biophil

• Professor of Computer Science
    • View Profile
    • My Academic Website
  • BitShares: biophil

I just got .4.9.a to sync fully in Windows.  Will see if it stays working.

Me too, clean install, brand-new account. I got it to sync all the way, registered my new account, and then started poking around the bitUSD market and before I could place any orders it crashed. Crash report sent, now I'll see if I can get the client going again...
Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."

Offline oco101

• View Profile

I removed all files except wallet, and sync again and it works now I have 8 connections. No crash since either.