Author Topic: One way or another the PEG will be established...  (Read 13870 times)

Offline emski

• View Profile
    • http://lnkd.in/nPbhxG
USE THE FEED TO LIMIT VALID SHORTS TO ONLY ABOVE THE FEED.

Reasonable.

And now the next issue:
Feeds. Can a few delegates manipulate it ?

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
don't hurry. it is to early to make a decision.

it is normal that in the beginning every one expects that btsx is rising, but maybe in the future everything will balance out. the importent thing is - 1 bitUSD == 1 USD

Offline bytemaster

From libertarianism to democracy to oligarchy to tyranny, even faster than I expected.

:(  that is an interesting point of view... and I see your parallels.

I am for the feed and against the network owned arb bot. Its a free market and this would be a bad step. The whole, is it ok to do bad things for the greater good kind of thing, their has to be another way. Why not just use the feed and let the market decide the value of bitUSD
+5% no arb bot needed.
USE THE FEED TO LIMIT VALID SHORTS TO ONLY ABOVE THE FEED.  No 95-105% range and no arb bot is needed.
Sometimes I don't know how you guys come up with this stuff and start wasting time on it before thinking it through.  Sorry for being annoyed.

Perhaps we are just thinking it through in public for the point of discussion. 
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Agent86

• BTSX: agent86
    • View Profile
From libertarianism to democracy to oligarchy to tyranny, even faster than I expected.

I am for the feed and against the network owned arb bot. Its a free market and this would be a bad step. The whole, is it ok to do bad things for the greater good kind of thing, their has to be another way. Why not just use the feed and let the market decide the value of bitUSD
+5% no arb bot needed.
USE THE FEED TO LIMIT VALID SHORTS TO ONLY ABOVE THE FEED.  No 95-105% range and no arb bot is needed.
Sometimes I don't know how you guys come up with this stuff and start wasting time on it before thinking it through.  Sorry for being annoyed.

Offline GaltReport

Is their a real-world equivalent of this bot?  Not being that knowledgeable about exchanges and market, it might be more palatable if there is an existing exchange function in the real world performing the equivalent function that you could explain. To the lay it just sounds like price controls.

The real world equivalent of this bot is what provides the ultimate peg for BitUSD to USD.   I would gladly run such a bot myself, but these bots require capital and early on no one wants to take the risk.    Coding something into the network that we expect people outside the network to do merely provides liquidity and enforces the peg.  If you do it right the market maker in the network would eventually no longer be competitive with the market makers outside the network and thus its price targets would never get hit. 

In fact you could "pretend" such a market maker exists right now with a spread that is wider than the current BitUSD/USD peg.  It hasn't hit so you don't even see its involvement.    So all we are ultimately talking about is decreasing the spread of the current "imaginary" market maker.

What I meant was is their something or someone performing this function in other exchanges?  Like the stock exchange etc..?

Offline emski

• View Profile

I mean you include a bid... it doesn't get matched.. price goes up.. bid is now out of range.

Still valid. Invalid is matching of such bid in a block BEFORE another price change makes it valid again.
This should be equivalent of saying: BitUSD can be traded in 0.95 1.05 range on this chain. Nothing else.
UPDATE: And by saying I mean enforcing.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 08:55:04 pm by emski »

Offline bytemaster

Is their a real-world equivalent of this bot?  Not being that knowledgeable about exchanges and market, it might be more palatable if there is an existing exchange function in the real world performing the equivalent function that you could explain. To the lay it just sounds like price controls.

The real world equivalent of this bot is what provides the ultimate peg for BitUSD to USD.   I would gladly run such a bot myself, but these bots require capital and early on no one wants to take the risk.    Coding something into the network that we expect people outside the network to do merely provides liquidity and enforces the peg.  If you do it right the market maker in the network would eventually no longer be competitive with the market makers outside the network and thus its price targets would never get hit. 

In fact you could "pretend" such a market maker exists right now with a spread that is wider than the current BitUSD/USD peg.  It hasn't hit so you don't even see its involvement.    So all we are ultimately talking about is decreasing the spread of the current "imaginary" market maker.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline bytemaster

Why not just hardcode max/min buy price for bitUSD 0.95 and 1.05 based on feeds ?
Any block including transaction not satisfying the above rule is invalid.

Price can change "after the fact" and that kind of filtering would just close the market.
Its a single block. It is either valid or not. If the transaction cannot be included => the user should retry.

I mean you include a bid... it doesn't get matched.. price goes up.. bid is now out of range.

Offline GaltReport

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
  • BitShares: gentso

Offline GaltReport

I'm just trying to wonder how all these price controls will help once your BitUSD escapes into the wild, exchanges, businesses etc...won't any discount/premium just be transferred their if it's controlled within BitShares?

Offline emski

• View Profile
Why not just hardcode max/min buy price for bitUSD 0.95 and 1.05 based on feeds ?

Price can change "after the fact" and that kind of filtering would just close the market.
Its a single block. It is either valid or not. If the transaction cannot be included => the user should retry.

Offline Agent86

• BTSX: agent86
    • View Profile
Seriously, this is not the right way to do things...  What is the flaw or what is wrong with my proposal?!

Offline bytemaster

Offline emski

• View Profile