Author Topic: Ubuntu..?  (Read 2964 times)

merockstar

At this point in the cycle for anyone wanting to be helpful testing i wouldn't suggest striping the binary.  If you are under some low memory constraint I could see why, but not for most people as debug info could be useful at this stage if running a delegate.

ill go delete that post

Offline gamey

• View Profile

At this point in the cycle for anyone wanting to be helpful testing i wouldn't suggest striping the binary.  If you are under some low memory constraint I could see why, but not for most people as debug info could be useful at this stage if running a delegate.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Note to myself:
 - also update the build instructions to use -D BUILD_TYPE=stalble (or sth. like this) to not include debugging stuff in the binary

Offline davidpbrown

Beautiful isn't how I'd describe 0.4.9 on Linux Mint 17 atm.. :(
What exactly is not beautiful? The compilation part or the wallet? or tha handling/user experience?

It wasn't 0.4.12.. which is working ok, though too slow on the market for me to use with confidence just yet. Hardware this end being limited RAM I suspect.

In the build instructions for Linux, I would suggest add strip as that appears to reduce the bin file size to 20% and might help older machines work with it. So:
$ cd ./programs/qt_wallet/bin/
$ strip ./BitSharesX

I'll suggest here notifications in the terminal I get if those are useful for polishing it:
v0.4.12 on Linux Mint

On screen saver:
QPainter::end: Painter ended with 2 saved states

On receipt of money while scanning for new transactions:
QObject::startTimer: Timers can only be used with threads started with QThread

and then on close of the notification:
QApplication: Object event filter cannot be in a different thread.
QApplication: Object event filter cannot be in a different thread.

฿://1CBxm54Ah5hiYxiUtD7JGYRXykT5Z6ZuMc

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Better perhaps now to look to http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/BuildInstructionsBitSharesX although that doesn't suggest yet the option to upgrade.
You are right .. need to fix that soon

What exactly is not beautiful? The compilation part or the wallet? or tha handling/user experience?

Offline stanno

• View Profile
my btsx 0.4.9 wallet compiled fine on ubuntu 14.04.   but, i only got it working on the testnet...

i'm sure it's just a small tweak away from being fully functional on my Ubuntu VM.

debian 7.6 fought me for 2 days before i gave up.  getting the correct version and setting PATHs of cmake, boost and a couple of other dep's proved to be just beyond my linux skill level.

i ended up doing the unthinkable, and just slapped it onto my win8.1 box, just to have something that worked with minimal effort.

Offline davidpbrown

Better perhaps now to look to http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/BuildInstructionsBitSharesX although that doesn't suggest yet the option to upgrade.

฿://1CBxm54Ah5hiYxiUtD7JGYRXykT5Z6ZuMc

merockstar

puppies wrote a great tutorial for compiling.

it works beautifully on 14.04

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=6008.msg80548#msg80548

Offline Zen1

• View Profile
Thank you but I've just had partial success with 4.9 and Windows.....so I'll give Ubuntu a miss at the moment.

Offline maqifrnswa

• View Profile
I can only see a Windows and  Mac download.....not one specifically for Ubuntu ...so I could try the Mac version on my Ubuntu pc...?

if you trust me, you can use the PPA in my sig. why you should trust me: if you are running ubuntu you already trust me (I maintain several of the libraries and have compiled the code that is already on your computer including zlib...)
maintains an Ubuntu PPA: https://launchpad.net/~showard314/+archive/ubuntu/bitshares [15% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval maqifrnswa true [50% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval delegate1.maqifrnswa true

Offline gamey

• View Profile
I can only see a Windows and  Mac download.....not one specifically for Ubuntu ...so I could try the Mac version on my Ubuntu pc...?

There is just not an official repository for Ubuntu.  So you have to compile it yourself.  One of these days that may be done, but it takes resources to retool build process etc.

I wouldn't think the Mac version would ever run on Ubuntu, but I might have missed a MacOS emulator available ?
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline Zen1

• View Profile

Offline cygnify

• View Profile
I was having a few problems on ubuntu. I backed up my wallets with the export function in ubuntu and downloaded the mac .dmg file and successfully installed it on my mac laptop.
Imported the wallet file and all my balances showed up fine.

Offline Zen1

• View Profile
Since I'm still having problems is there a specific Ubuntu wallet I could try using on my other pc...?...or do I just use the Mac download...?...
Also I take it I simply import my saved .json wallet back up file into any newly created wallet...?.