Author Topic: BTS Wallet Best Practices and Danger Areas  (Read 16178 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I think that some original posts from Bytemaster cause panic and should be edited. I was playing with the market and I was still fine restoring from an old backup.
Market transactions require the wallet private key which is in the backup .. but not in the private keys of the individual accounts keys ..

BM's post had the intention to make people cautious about their keys .. it's like an insurance that people not following those guidelines are considered 'advanced' users .. not regular users

Good to see your funds recovered

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
Thanks xeroc I finally got around to restoring my old backup onto my new computer. Everything was fine after I followed that wiki.

I think that some original posts from Bytemaster cause panic and should be edited. I was playing with the market and I was still fine restoring from an old backup.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
You should be able to access all your funds by recovering your old backup
http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/RecoveringFunds

However, you might loss the "metadata" (receiver, memo) of outgoing transactions ..

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
I created backups when I first created my wallet, and since then ive done a few transactions but I havent backed up again. Before reading this thread I just assumed that BitShares would be as simple to backup as an Electrum wallet.

Is it always going to be as difficult to backup as this, or is it just the early nature of the software ?

My computer with the wallet on just had its power unit die. If I want to safely move the wallet to a new computer, would it be ok to move the wallet folder to the new machine, and backup from there ?

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
That is really stupid question.
I reinstalled my system. I thought that password from BitsharesX is the only thing that i need to restore wallet. Like in NXT.
Is that right that i've lost my funds and account if i didnt export my wallet before?

That's right, the password is just for encryption and it is not a brain wallet =(
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline 21xhipster

That is really stupid question.
I reinstalled my system. I thought that password from BitsharesX is the only thing that i need to restore wallet. Like in NXT.
Is that right that i've lost my funds and account if i didnt export my wallet before?
https://cyber.fund/ - Decetnralized Investment Platform

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
What's the best practice to handle importing private keys from multiple btc/pts wallets?  Is it best to create a new account for each wallet or can I import them all into one account or does it matter? 

I'm using version 0.4.17 BTSX wallet.
I would recommend to create a new local account (not registered) .. import all your keys there .. and move them all to your registered account ..

chryspano

What's the best practice to handle importing private keys from multiple btc/pts wallets?  Is it best to create a new account for each wallet or can I import them all into one account or does it matter? 

Just don't make too many accounts in one wallet, you will have performance issues when rescanning. I imported my ags and pts wallets in the same btsx account with no problems.

Offline kingslanding

• View Profile

BTS username/address:   kingslanding9999

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Aesthetic issue: I don't like the icon for "console" - my brain flags it as a sort of typo.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
@cryptillionaire: check this out:
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=8147.msg108162#msg108162

modprobe is Nathan, who is one of the developers @ i3

Offline cryptillionaire

• View Profile
I think we should produce a standardized document for all delegates to follow, kind of like a best practices when updating their delegate clients.
Good idea ..
Would you be so kind and start a new wiki page and write down your stuff? I can continue and add my stuff than :)
Already have some scripts that make my life easier during updates :)
What do you think about the creation of a docker container for bitshares-x?
Check this guide out for bitcoin - https://medium.com/@abrkn/running-the-bitcoin-core-daemon-as-a-docker-container-7d290affa56b Think we could make our own version of this guide?

CoreOS or Project Atomic + Docker = A really good environment for hosting applications on the cloud.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
I think we should produce a standardized document for all delegates to follow, kind of like a best practices when updating their delegate clients.
Good idea ..
Would you be so kind and start a new wiki page and write down your stuff? I can continue and add my stuff than :)
Already have some scripts that make my life easier during updates :)

Offline cryptillionaire

• View Profile
Do you have any similar advice for users running headless delegates on servers?
+5%

I run the delegate on a linux vps, but when I need to upgrade I switch to my laptop for producing blocks while recompiling on the vps (not enough RAM to recompile while running the client), so atm I have the same wallet on 2 computers. Is there a way to export the keys from one to the other so as to have a clean merged wallet? Not really a priority but it would be nice to have  :D
Quite a good idea having a fallback wallet to produce blocks whilst upgrading the dedicated client.

Offline wackou

Do you have any similar advice for users running headless delegates on servers?
+5%

I run the delegate on a linux vps, but when I need to upgrade I switch to my laptop for producing blocks while recompiling on the vps (not enough RAM to recompile while running the client), so atm I have the same wallet on 2 computers. Is there a way to export the keys from one to the other so as to have a clean merged wallet? Not really a priority but it would be nice to have  :D
Please vote for witness wackou! More info at http://digitalgaia.io