Author Topic: BTS Wallet Best Practices and Danger Areas  (Read 16188 times)

Offline cryptillionaire

• View Profile
Do you have any similar advice for users running headless delegates on servers?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
As of 0.4.12 multiple accounts have independent deterministic key sequences so that is less of an issue.
could you elaborate this in more detail? I thought account address have been derived from the account key from the start?

Further, I currently don't get how transaction (in particular the addresses) for market orders are built .. could you also drop some short explanation about those too?

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

Instead of using multiple accounts,  I swap between 2 wallets on the same install.  I do this by renaming APP_DATA/config.json file and APP_DATA/wallets/ folder and swap wallets in/out as I wish.

Is this dangerous?  seems to work for me.
Hm, I just import the wallet I want using the GUI menu, and keep 2 backups.
 [there was a bug where you can not save with the same named backup, so I kept walletA{1,2....20} and walletB{1,2....20}]
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline bytemaster

As of 0.4.12 multiple accounts have independent deterministic key sequences so that is less of an issue.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline bytemaster

Instead of using multiple accounts,  I swap between 2 wallets on the same install.  I do this by renaming APP_DATA/config.json file and APP_DATA/wallets/ folder and swap wallets in/out as I wish.

Should work just fine, but of course is unsupported. 
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline patrickb323

• View Profile

Offline bytemaster

3) Do not attempt to use more than one "account" per wallet if you want to be able to easily recover from a backup
  - Based upon the current wallet code, if you use more than one account and attempt to recover keys it will not be able to allocate market orders back to the original account.  You will be able to recover the funds/orders to one of your accounts but it may not be the same account as the original order.

I have 8 accounts on the same wallet :(

Should I follow puppie's tutorial in another thread to create a wallet backup with only my main account?

If I don't care what account the funds get recovered to, only that the funds are there, am I good to go with my current wallet backed up as is (with 8 accounts)?

How important is this step?

You are good as long as you backup.  You will not lose funds in any event.  If you don't play with the market you are also OK. 

merockstar

3) Do not attempt to use more than one "account" per wallet if you want to be able to easily recover from a backup
  - Based upon the current wallet code, if you use more than one account and attempt to recover keys it will not be able to allocate market orders back to the original account.  You will be able to recover the funds/orders to one of your accounts but it may not be the same account as the original order.

I have 8 accounts on the same wallet :(

Should I follow puppie's tutorial in another thread to create a wallet backup with only my main account?

If I don't care what account the funds get recovered to, only that the funds are there, am I good to go with my current wallet backed up as is (with 8 accounts)?

How important is this step?

Offline mtang

• BTSX id:mtang
    • View Profile
Trying to keep this in mind and let more chinese user know.
 +5% +5%
BTSX:wallet_approve_delegate btsx.outofcontrol true
DNS :wallet_account_set_approval mtang true
感谢给我们的受托人团队“失控”btsx.outofcontro以及she.bitrose投票。请关注FUND数字资产运作计划//立足兢兢业业的standby delegate//weibo ID:汤O包

Xeldal

I've done all of those things

1) I've had private keys for all accounts from a very early release, loaded on multiple computers. Though I've never 'loaded' a backup to more than 1 computer. so maybe that doesn't count
2) I've loaded from an older backup.
3) my wallet has 11 accounts

I've had balance issues for a long time. no problem. Today I'm missing a more sizable portion so I'm looking for reassurance.

I want to know if there's anything I might do that would guarantee I would NOT find the missing balance?
(assuming I maintain the original private keys)

I have backups from various dates/versions.

I don't care about transaction details/memo etc, just the balance.

I've followed the recovery steps in:  http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/RecoveringFunds
No dice, yet.

Basically everything from genesis is gone.  All I can see is what I've moved from BTER

(I don't mean to turn this into my support thread. I'm content to wait. Just the one question is relevant)

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
ok and best practise if i'm using more than one account? What can i do to backup etc... ? Or no way to do so yet?

If you are using more than one account (I am) then just make sure you restore from a recent backup and that you backup regularly.

ok :) thx
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline bytemaster

ok and best practise if i'm using more than one account? What can i do to backup etc... ? Or no way to do so yet?

If you are using more than one account (I am) then just make sure you restore from a recent backup and that you backup regularly. 

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline bytemaster

But people who backed up their wallets prior to 0.4.10 should still be able to recover at some point, right?

I literally had no other way of getting back on track. When installing new software kept crashing with the old data, I wiped the data folder and imported the old JSON wallet with fresh blockchain data. Heck even that was crashing for a few versions. Finally in 0.4.10 it is somewhat back on track.

With the exception of a few orders probably imported from the old wallet that I can't seem to be able to cancel due to "invalid order type"
(details already sent, BM is looking at it)

Yes if you wallet was backed up at any point in time we are working on solutions for a full restore.  These best practices are mainly to help prevent problems before the occur.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc