Author Topic: losing patience with bitshares x  (Read 7315 times)

Offline Riverhead

It was mentioned briefly but I think it is worth mentioning again.

Poker is boring and sucks without real money. Bitshares X is the same. There is no way to test and understand market dynamics with fake money on a test net. No one will really push it (Alt being one of few exceptions) without skin in the game.

Case and point we had 16 dry runs where anyone could test the exchange and I'd bet there were maybe 20 testers max. No one cared to play with fake money.

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
wrong..

even if it is alpha - it is released to the public - hence it is considered official..
..and yes I did read that warning that it is still a work in progress.

Let me remind you that Mercedes (or any other product for that sake) does not distribute 4 wheels and a steering wheel to hope for customers - they wait till it is 100% ready because they know that then they will get customers..
I would agree that this comparison might not be valid - but I think you get the hint :)

I guess you weren't around the forum when there were endless complaints about how long it was taking to get the product out. The nagging was intense.

Because of this, the devs came up with the idea of releasing an MVP (minimum viable product) after many, many test chains seemed to show it would work. And it did, just no bitassets yet - which is a core feature that is now being introduced.

If you find this work in progress intolerable, and it probably is to some user-types, then the best suggestion has already been made. Stay away for a few weeks and then come back with most of the bugs having been attended to so that your user experience will be much smoother.

well said …
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline CoinHoarder

• In Cryptocoins I Trust
    • View Profile
https://www.decentralized.tech/ -> Market Data, Portfolios, Information, Links, Reviews, Forums, Blogs, Etc.
https://www.cryptohun.ch/ -> Tradable Blockchain Asset PvP Card Game

Offline eagleeye

• View Profile
Why feeding this troll? the guy is close minded just want a neg post.
Bye today, will see you soon.

Thank you sir.

Offline joele

• View Profile
Why feeding this troll? the guy is close minded just want a neg post.
Bye today, will see you soon.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
I started using Bitshares X ver 0.4.10 as a brand new user.
Was positive and curious about this new entry on the market.

Since that date I have had multiple bugs with the client, and nothing has improved.
Constant re-installs, rescans, import of private keys and etc. - and still Transaction scanning progress -100% is popping up.
I have addressed this multiple times in the forum - just a few well-hearted responses - but no real help other than what I have been able to google and lookup in the whitepaper and wiki, which btw sometimes gives contradicting instructions..

I also tried to enter as a delegate - managed to find out how to do it by googling and piece together the commands to do it..
2 of my accounts are registered as Standby and I have tried multiple times to make them able to create blocks - both with the console command and from the account itself with the delegate feature.
Created 2 accounts for delegation - entered both with 100% but they turned out to be 50% and 66% respectively.. Not able to increase this - only decrease apparently?
After entering the command to have them create blocks and after voting for both - none of them shows up in the Standby delegates list..

Forum is not much help, as noone seems to know how to solve these bugs, and the devs does not seem to answer the questions/queries even after many days.

If you guys continue this path you will scare away potential customers and investors.

A new client/currency MUST work when you disclose it to the public, otherwise it is doomed.
I can't say this many times enough:
Wait with release till it is ready - otherwise forget it!
It is not sufficient that a group of devs and insiders knows how to run the client - if the masses, who you depend on, are struggling!

Bitcoin had bugs too when it was released. If you used the web in the 90s then Netscape and IE used to crash all the time.

This is normal but unfortunately when money is at stake people need to be reassured that their money is safe. The worst problem is lost balances. I've lost some of my own balance due to a bug but I have some idea of why it happens.

Delaying releasing would have only delayed the discovery of these bugs. Also there are other platforms out there like NXT which have had problems too so good luck using that.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline eagleeye

• View Profile
@gamey

there is a big difference between a product which is not on the market yet, and one that is on the market and officially trading - even being an alpha version with bugs..

it does not matter to 'be first - before the competitors' with an important item as a new virtual currency.

even if many good products will pop up over the near future - I as a customer/user/investor might try out a few - but I will eventually pick the one which is smooth, stable and revolutionary.
why would a developer release a product - for official trading that is -  and risk lose potential customers due to too many bugs?
a few bugs I can live with, but missing stability will turn me away.

At the time of release the last dry run was "stable" and there were no known bugs.    Developers cannot catch all bugs on all platforms prior to launch. 

As a developer running a client every single day and performing transactions, market operations, etc with my client I have not experienced ANY crashes of my desktop GUI.

I had many successful software company CEOs tell me "If you are not embarrassed at your first release, you waited too long".   Many things that we are trying to test require money to be on the line (ie: how do you test market dynamics???)

Bugs are temporary... and rapidly being fixed.  Polish will come.   

So what is BTSX good for today?  It is good for early adopters to use to get involved.  It is good for developers to test integration.   Sure you shouldn't be using it as your day-to-day crypto at this point in time.

All of that said, I was pushing to hold off on launching.  But with open source that isn't my call and DAC Sun thought it was ready.   Over all I think they were right despite the bugs.

Bytemaster you made the right move.  You cant make an omelette without breaking a few eggs.

Furthermore as you said you could not catch on bugs in Alpha Bitsharesx Platform.

Offline gamey

• View Profile
.. and finally - I indeed have a positive view on the client - as on other clients, current and upcoming.
critique must be taken if you go public

Agreed, critique is a good thing, but since it is already released complaining that it should never have been released repeatedly is not constructive.  So why bother?

The reason I brought up your join date is you sound like you have been waiting for the up and coming Bitshares X for months and months and are let down.  Just don't use it and wait for it to be a bit more usable in a week or 2.  I think that is the typical suggestion but I only speak for myself.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline sky

• View Profile
anyway - it's good night from me

many good comments - keep that up
a few of the usual 'stfu noob' style ones, but that is normal in most foras :)

Offline sky

• View Profile
@bytemaster

it is your baby (afaik?) so you decide when it can walk.
why do you let investors decide that (puzzles me)?

Offline cryptkeeper

• View Profile
Fourth (i shouted that) please any one complaining and whining, STFU.

+5% +5% +5%

Offline sky

• View Profile
@gamey
if you read my OP I joined AUG23 but that does not mean that I don't know what I'm talking about.
I have no pressing agenda with the client - my point is that it is being used officially for trading when it is not ready - but ready can be interpreted differently depending on where in the system you are.

@ bitmeat

if you build in a delegate feature - then obviously a user/investor will try it out to see if it can give income

.. and finally - I indeed have a positive view on the client - as on other clients, current and upcoming.
critique must be taken if you go public

Offline stuartcharles

• View Profile
Chill out, let the market tell you what's right.

Even with the bugs and insinuated loss of funds BTSX is 4th on coin market cap. Fourth (i shouted that) please any one complaining and whining, STFU. The market, which on the large part is silent, is the truth, and it says "I see great promise, keep up the good work and please don't waist your precious time reading bolocks like this"

Offline bytemaster

Many newcomers think they can become a delegate from the get go in reality they are wasting resources trying to register as one. I propose that option be removed from UI but still available in command line. Running a delegate from the UI has myriad of issues. Suggested method is a private Linux server running 24/7.

Agreed.  It will be removed in 0.4.12
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.