Author Topic: What is BitShares mail?  (Read 4809 times)

Offline theoretical

Innovation is its own reward. If you have a truly good idea and someone implements it then you benefit.

Interesting choice of words, particularly "benefit."  I would like to note that anticipated capital gains in my BTSX holdings as a result of BTSX becoming more useful to people, seeing wider adoption, greater demand and a rise in price is uncertain, far in the future, and gives me no special advantage over other BTSX speculators investors even though I exerted the special effort of figuring it out, above and beyond others.
BTS- theoretical / PTS- PZxpdC8RqWsdU3pVJeobZY7JFKVPfNpy5z / BTC- 1NfGejohzoVGffAD1CnCRgo9vApjCU2viY / the delegate formerly known as drltc / Nothing said on these forums is intended to be legally binding / All opinions are my own unless otherwise noted / Take action due to my posts at your own risk

Offline bytemaster

Innovation is its own reward. If you have a truly good idea and someone implements it then you benefit. 
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline theoretical

So I guess the problem this is trying to solve is as follows:

- TITAN requires recipient to scan every transaction
- Which requires downloading all transactions (lots of bandwidth) and running crypto on every transaction (lots of CPU)
- Transaction senders upload a pair (receiver_account, txid) to a "mail server" specified in the receiver's account
- Then the client downloads txid's for their account from the "mail server," thus learning which txid's belong to them without scanning all of them.
- Then the client downloads transactions for only those txid's (either from the mail server or from peers) and runs full TITAN protocol (but only on a few txid's as opposed to all txid's in existence).

I think I have a workable protocol design which can solve this problem without the need for "mail servers."  There are some trade-offs, but I think the costs are acceptable (~20 bytes for all transactions to accounts which register for the protocol, plus additional computation/bandwidth over mail server design but the exact amount is configurable, allowing user-settable tradeoff between anonymity and computation/bandwidth).  I think the benefits of not requiring "mail servers" are substantial.

So far I've received a grand total of 10 BTSX for my contributions to the BitShares ecosystem (and of course my genesis block BTSX / LTS / etc. and return from trading activities, but I paid for those ^_^).  Is there any possibility that publishing my decentralized solution to this problem could earn me some reward?
BTS- theoretical / PTS- PZxpdC8RqWsdU3pVJeobZY7JFKVPfNpy5z / BTC- 1NfGejohzoVGffAD1CnCRgo9vApjCU2viY / the delegate formerly known as drltc / Nothing said on these forums is intended to be legally binding / All opinions are my own unless otherwise noted / Take action due to my posts at your own risk

Offline bytemaster

It is part of the infrastructure for light weight client notification of transactions. 
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline theoretical

The comment of this commit for example:  https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares_toolkit/commit/bf909d9a7b84082316f3ab67e5951e59f2550830  is "Further development on mail client."

What is this "mail client", and what is it doing in the BitShares code?  If there have been public discussions about this, I've certainly missed them!