Author Topic: !!! Stupid Questions Thread !!!  (Read 251456 times)

Offline tdboston

Bhuz,
Thanks for your help. Somehow I have 1000 BTS on Poloniex. I think it might be because I had some old kind of Bitshares (Proto shares or something like that). I see how to withdraw on Poloniex but I don't see how to deposit on Bitshares. I go tot Deposit/Withdraw and BTS isn't even an option.

Offline Bhuz

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bhuz
Thanks for your help. I still got an error message. I tried to buy 1000 BTS but it says I don't have enough to pay the fee. I set up to pay the fee in OPEN:BTC but the confirmation page says I need .146 or so BTS. I tried to paste a screen shot but I can't seem to do it in this forum.

what is your bitshares account name? i will send you some bts

Offline tdboston

Thanks for your help. I still got an error message. I tried to buy 1000 BTS but it says I don't have enough to pay the fee. I set up to pay the fee in OPEN:BTC but the confirmation page says I need .146 or so BTS. I tried to paste a screen shot but I can't seem to do it in this forum.

Offline Bhuz

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bhuz
Please Help. I can't do anything on Bitshares because I don't have BTS. I tried to make a trade and it wouldn't let me even though I used the option to pay the fee in OPEN:BTC. Now I can't even withdraw my BTC. I bought BTS on Bter but it won't let me withdraw it to fund my Bitshares account. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. At this point I'm pretty frustrated by the whole thing and would just like to get my BTC out. Thanks.
-Brett

Welcome tdboston,
sorry to hear this bad first experience!

Let's see...

First let's try again to buy some BTS with your OPEN.BTC:
go to the BTS : OPEN.BTC market here -> https://bitshares.openledger.info/#/market/BTS_OPEN.BTC
Instead of using all of yours open.btc, try to make a buy with only half of it, using open.btc as fee too. (I suggest to use only half of your btc to be sure that you have enough to both buy bts and pay for the fee)

About Bter...Bter is not really trading BTS 2.0
You should not trust or leave any funds into that exchange IMO.
The best thing you can do now, is sell back the bts you bought on bter, and use those btc to buy bts in another exchange.

Once you have your btc back on bter, you can send them to poloniex and buy real bts there. Or you can even more easily use the "Bridge" option in the Bitshares wallet.

Open the bitshares wallet, go into your account page, in the left menu go into Deposit/Withdraw, in the Top Menu choose Blocktrades or Metaexchange (the latter atm has a better price), and in the "Bridge" section click on Deposit.

How does this Bridge works?
Basically you send your bitcoin to the address they give you, and they will credit your account with BTS! You can see the current conversion they will use for it.

Offline tdboston

Please Help. I can't do anything on Bitshares because I don't have BTS. I tried to make a trade and it wouldn't let me even though I used the option to pay the fee in OPEN:BTC. Now I can't even withdraw my BTC. I bought BTS on Bter but it won't let me withdraw it to fund my Bitshares account. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. At this point I'm pretty frustrated by the whole thing and would just like to get my BTC out. Thanks.
-Brett

Offline mint chocolate chip

I have another question, on the homepage under technologies it says:

https://bitshares.org/technology/decentralized-asset-exchange/

Every Dollar, Euro, bitcoin and ounce of gold held as a SmartCoin on the BitShares exchange is backed by up to twice the reserves of traditional centralized exchanges. The traditional banking system has long practiced what I like to call fictional reserve banking, more commonly known as fractional reserve banking. In the Bitcoin ecosystem, we demand at least 100% reserve. A single hack, mistake, or theft can quickly turn a 100% reserve system into a fractional reserve system, or worse, a no reserve system. Without any reserves, it is unlikely that an exchange can give you the funds it owes you.

By always maintaining reserves, you can rest assured that BitShares is solvent in almost any market. All of the reserves are kept as BTS held on the blockchain, and they cannot be stolen, because there are no private keys that can be compromised to steal the reserves.

- How does this work?
Read the whitepaper:
dosa.bitshares.eu/bitshares/papers
it describes the collateralization concept

Correct URL:
docs.bitshares.eu/bitshares/papers

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Every Dollar, Euro, bitcoin and ounce of gold held as a SmartCoin on the BitShares exchange is backed by up to twice the reserves of traditional centralized exchanges. The traditional banking system has long practiced what I like to call fictional reserve banking, more commonly known as fractional reserve banking. In the Bitcoin ecosystem, we demand at least 100% reserve. A single hack, mistake, or theft can quickly turn a 100% reserve system into a fractional reserve system, or worse, a no reserve system. Without any reserves, it is unlikely that an exchange can give you the funds it owes you.

By always maintaining reserves, you can rest assured that BitShares is solvent in almost any market. All of the reserves are kept as BTS held on the blockchain, and they cannot be stolen, because there are no private keys that can be compromised to steal the reserves.

- How does this work?
Read the whitepaper:
dosa.bitshares.eu/bitshares/papers
it describes the collateralization concept

Offline blurgenstein

• View Profile

- How does this work?

Offline blurgenstein

• View Profile

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
This is the stupid questions thread, not the stupid answers thread :)

Well, your question was where to *start*, not where to continue after starting at bitshares.org... :-)
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline blurgenstein

• View Profile
Yep, I am watching those. Thanks!

only BitAssets are now called Smartcoins, right?

Offline konelectric

Hi,

I am trying to learn about bitshares. Where to start?

You can go to Bitshares TV on YouTube, but some of the info is outdated. There are some new videos about  Openledger.
Tweeter: Konelectric. Steemit: Konelectric. Youtube: Patrick Konshak. Success Council: Yourship. Mumble: Yourship or Konelectric.

Offline blurgenstein

• View Profile
Many thanks! I'm also getting nice help on Slack. I will find my way for now.

Offline Samupaha

• View Profile
  • BitShares: samupaha

Of course I started there. But when I landed on the homepage, I read about the technologies. But, I really miss a general path on how to start with things. As a user, but also as a possible contributor with a tech background. What is there to be done and how to start learning it so it it will be possible to contribute later.

Thanks

Unfortunately the newbie friendly information is still mostly missing. But this documentation page will probably help you to get started, and then you can ask here on this forum more spesific questions: http://docs.bitshares.eu/

Offline blurgenstein

• View Profile

Of course I started there. But when I landed on the homepage, I read about the technologies. But, I really miss a general path on how to start with things. As a user, but also as a possible contributor with a tech background. What is there to be done and how to start learning it so it it will be possible to contribute later.

Thanks