Author Topic: BitUSD vs CoinoUSD  (Read 7491 times)

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile
You give them USD, via bank transfer, and they give you CoinoUSD in return.
If you want to cash out, you give them back your CoinUSD, and they give you $1 per 1 CoinoUSD asset.

More details: https://coinomat.com/coinousd.php

1. What are the odds that CoinoUSD is going to cash out for someone deemed to be conducting an illegal activity or be linked/used for large 'illegal' transactions?
2. What are the odds CoinoUSD is targeted as a result?

Lets say conservatively, the answer to (1) is 40% and the answer to (2) is 25% it still means 10% of the time the assets/dollars backing CoinoUSD will be seized/freezed in which case a CoinoUSD is only worth $0.9 without interest that's being generous and assuming you 'trust' the issuer of CoinoUSD.

BitUSD isn't perfect but it's value is a lot higher than that.

Offline Riverhead

This is a great thread. The points that the OP is raising we're going to hear over and over before people will put their money in. We may as well figure out the best way to address them :).

We've been getting our heads around this concept for nearly a year. It is understandable that people will be skeptical at first.

Offline gamey

• View Profile
A system where you exchange tokens for cash is not interesting.  It is the same basic thing that has been done in countless places elsewhere but now on a blockchain.

The problem with these services is if someone in a shady business comes along and starts utilizing coinoUSD then the whole thing gets shut down with a lot of collateral damage because some douchebag has political aspirations or is being paid off.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 06:19:14 pm by gamey »
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline oco101

• View Profile
Unless tgey run with you dollars and leave you behind with coinos and no buyers ;)

It is indeed a risk of centralization.  But odds of that happening are low.

And if it happens we can always start up a fakeUSD asset that we claim is worth a dollar even though it's not backed up anything and use it to refund the customers their money. Maybe we can bring future fakeUSD assets into creation by shorting... ;)

Seriously I hope BitUSD is successful, I just don't see it though.  Maybe if you hide the details from people so they think that BitUSD actually is backed by USD..

Also, they are in the process of getting some kind of financial license in the UK to make sure everything is legal.
No one is claiming bitUSD is backed by USD. It is backed by btsx.

To get  BTSX you put USD, the value of all the BTSX out there right now it is 63 millions USD so bitUSD it is backed by USD.

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
  • BitShares: gentso
Unless tgey run with you dollars and leave you behind with coinos and no buyers ;)

And if it happens we can always start up a fakeUSD asset that we claim is worth a dollar even though it's not backed up anything and use it to refund the customers their money. Maybe we can bring future fakeUSD assets into creation by shorting... ;)

Seriously I hope BitUSD is successful, I just don't see it though.  Maybe if you hide the details from people so they think that BitUSD actually is backed by USD..

Also, they are in the process of getting some kind of financial license in the UK to make sure everything is legal.
No one is claiming bitUSD is backed by USD. It is backed by btsx.
Your point is the risk of centralization is low mine is that its not low at all. Funds can be ran off with or seized for a 100 different reasons. You put your faith in a centralized solution, We put ours in btsx.......time will tell who is correct.

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
and that is the different about BTSX and NXT community.

BTSX community don't believe in this "backed" way, because anytime someone can fraud you.

NXT community don't believe in our bit"backed" way, because you see nothing of "value" backing our bitAssets. In my opinion our view is right, but not the view to our bitAssets, because we have collateral as the backing value.

BTSX as a network with features has value, and as more and more people will adapte it, it will grow and will hold more value. so why do you think bitAssets are without value when the value comes from the features BTSX provides?

Offline oco101

• View Profile

bitUSD is is backed by USD, see that the thing that you don't get. As long Btsx has value bitUSD is backed by USD without any centralization whatsoever. What you are saying there is a danger that BTSX has no more value then your bitUSD it is not backed anymore. Sure it could happen but btsx it is not just a coin it is a business behind it and that's the value. Now all the altcoins out there,  with a few exception, they are just ... well coins.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 06:34:19 pm by oco101 »

Offline Riverhead

You're forgetting the only way to create bitUSD is by putting up twice its worth in BTSX and the only way to get BTSX is to buy it with BTC (which has already proven to have real value by the market). So to say bitUSD is created out of thin air is a bit misleading. It's minted and loaned by the exchange and destroyed when returned.

Offline gamey

• View Profile
I would love to see CoinoUSD issued as a user issued asset on BTSX and trade against BitUSD :)

Personally with CoinoUSD I would be afraid of a bankrun + government shutdown, etc.    BitUSD has different risks and the market will eventually price them accordingly.

Here is the interesting thing... the risk for BitUSD is only the "spread" and over time that will narrow.   The "volatility" you state was at launch and prior to restrictions on shorting being introduced.  Give it time to mature before you judge it.

Either that.. or BTSX is in a little bit of a bubble at the moment, volume will drop as speculators get bored and move to the next coin, and the spread will increase and it'll fall apart.  Couple other potential risks.

What shorting restrictions were removed?

We'll see.. would be really cool to have decentralized fiat in crypto.  I just happen to be very skeptical.

I don't see any reason that CoinoUSD should have problems with this asset, it's not like they are offering unlicensed stock.  If buying/selling BTC is legal, no reason CoinoUSD shouldn't be.  All Coinomat is saying is that they are willing to buy your CoinoUSD from you for $1 and sell it to you for $1.  I definitely think this will be more stable than BitUSD.

couple questions
How are coinoUSD created?
Who holds this USD that coinoUSD is backed by?
You say you can take coinoUSD and cash out to bank account, how exactly do you do this?

Run by coinomat.com
If you want to cash out, you give them back your CoinUSD, and they give you $1 per 1 CoinoUSD asset.

All is good until funds are frozen/stolen or access to banking system is cut off for processors.  It has happened and will continue to happen when someone uses government as a tool to oppress others.  BTSX avoids that.

CoinoUSD has different risks.

I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline hughmanwho

• View Profile

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline hughmanwho

• View Profile
I would love to see CoinoUSD issued as a user issued asset on BTSX and trade against BitUSD :)

Personally with CoinoUSD I would be afraid of a bankrun + government shutdown, etc.    BitUSD has different risks and the market will eventually price them accordingly.

Here is the interesting thing... the risk for BitUSD is only the "spread" and over time that will narrow.   The "volatility" you state was at launch and prior to restrictions on shorting being introduced.  Give it time to mature before you judge it.

Either that.. or BTSX is in a little bit of a bubble at the moment, volume will drop as speculators get bored and move to the next coin, and the spread will increase and it'll fall apart.  Couple other potential risks.

What shorting restrictions were removed?

We'll see.. would be really cool to have decentralized fiat in crypto.  I just happen to be very skeptical.

I don't see any reason that CoinoUSD should have problems with this asset, it's not like they are offering unlicensed stock.  If buying/selling BTC is legal, no reason CoinoUSD shouldn't be.  All Coinomat is saying is that they are willing to buy your CoinoUSD from you for $1 and sell it to you for $1.  I definitely think this will be more stable than BitUSD.

couple questions
How are coinoUSD created?
You say you can take coinoUSD and cash out to bank account, how exactly do you do this?

Run by coinomat.com

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile

That's what I want to know.

It's probably a centralised entity like Realcoin where you have to trust CoinoUSD won't do a runner and know that if .gov doesn't like it they can just seize their backing dollars/assets or target them through their banking partners.

CoinoUSD will probably be backed by centralised seizable collateral but BitUSD is backed by decentralised unseizable collateral.
and thats what I am also thinking. The biggest problem I have with nxt is that their asset's are backed by trust. All the assets I found on the exchange were based either on the reputation of a board member or trusting a business of some kind that was just created with no history.

Are assets are backed by btsx. Now btsx has a real world value and we don't have to trust anyone. It's also important to note that the more the platform is used the more daily burning occur's and the more the value of btsx will rise(through utility). It's like it own little self feeding ecosystem. The more you use it the more value btsx has and the more value btsx has the stronger the backing of the asset's that are created.

Yeah BTSX assets are backed by a lot of BTSX, plus insurance fund, plus we can do small dilution in emergency (probably never needed) Basically at it's core Bytemaster has solved a big problem in a decentralised way. BTSX > Bitcoin imo easy.

CoinoUSD/Realcoin/User issued (Trust required) assets have a market but nothing like BitAssets.

Problem of course is that it's centralized.

I guess no comments are needed..

Yip, pretty much imo.

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
  • BitShares: gentso

That's what I want to know.

It's probably a centralised entity like Realcoin where you have to trust CoinoUSD won't do a runner and know that if .gov doesn't like it they can just seize their backing dollars/assets or target them through their banking partners.

CoinoUSD will probably be backed by centralised seizable collateral but BitUSD is backed by decentralised unseizable collateral.
and thats what I am also thinking. The biggest problem I have with nxt is that their asset's are backed by trust. All the assets I found on the exchange were based either on the reputation of a board member or trusting a business of some kind that was just created with no history.

Are assets are backed by btsx. Now btsx has a real world value and we don't have to trust anyone. It's also important to note that the more the platform is used the more daily burning occur's and the more the value of btsx will rise(through utility). It's like it own little self feeding ecosystem. The more you use it the more value btsx has and the more value btsx has the stronger the backing of the asset's that are created.