Author Topic: recommended BitAsset portfolio  (Read 2082 times)

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
It would be great once more bitassets are established to have sample portfolios that people could use a as a guide to diversifying their portfolio....  "Trader", "Saver", "Low Risk", "High Risk" etc...

would love to see something like that!
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline pseudoscops

I'm wondering if someone can ELI5 Bytemaster's recommendations for going short/long at the same time. Let's assume I have 10,000 BTSX in my account.

I saw this from jernau in the other thread linked above and I understand what he's saying:

Just to be crystal clear, before I do something I regret:

1. I use the 'Short BitUSD' option to purchase x BitUSD at a price that is higher than the 'current highest bid' (that is listed immediately below the 'price' box.

2. I use the 'Buy BitUSD' option (this is the going long option) to purchase x BitUSD at a price that is higher than the the 'Median Price' (that is listed below the BitUSD : BTSX in the top right of the GUI)

This way, I am effectively borrowing from myself so that I am my own broker

Are the steps jernau suggests the practical real world steps one has to perform in the market in order to go short/long at the same time, i.e. as Bytemaster suggests? If so then I simply split my 10,000  BTSX between the above two options?

I think the only thing I'm perhaps missing is that it's not as simple as splitting 10,000 BTSX stake between the two? Do I need to leave some BTSX in my account as collateral for the short too? If so how does that work.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 03:40:52 pm by pseudoscops »

hashbit

It would be great once more bitassets are established to have sample portfolios that people could use a as a guide to diversifying their portfolio....  "Trader", "Saver", "Low Risk", "High Risk" etc...

+5%

Offline GaltReport

hashbit

Does anyone have any recommendations on a solid BitAsset portfolio that doesn't need to be tweaked on a daily basis?

What % of BitUSD or shortBitUSD of total BTSX should be invested for example?

Go short/long at the same time.   If the short "wins" then borrow real USD to buy the USD necessary to cover and claim your profits, then repay the real USD from those profits.  If the "short" loses, cover with your long position and keep your long yield.   

This will give you a position better than just holding BTSX.    The trick is that this position requires your "short" to be matched which means you have to buy at or above the median feed.   Ie: supporting the peg *and* you must pay more than all the other shorts.   The good news is that if people do this then it will end up supporting the PEG *AND* paying a high yield on USD.... thus greatly increasing demand for USD *AND* thus increasing the value of BTSX which then maximizes your real investment in BTSX.

Do you mean buying 'real' USD outside the BSTX platform?

Offline serejandmyself

• View Profile
btsx - bitsharesrussia

Offline bytemaster

Does anyone have any recommendations on a solid BitAsset portfolio that doesn't need to be tweaked on a daily basis?

Go short/long at the same time.   If the short "wins" then borrow real USD to buy the USD necessary to cover and claim your profits, then repay the real USD from those profits.  If the "short" loses, cover with your long position and keep your long yield.   

This will give you a position better than just holding BTSX.    The trick is that this position requires your "short" to be matched which means you have to buy at or above the median feed.   Ie: supporting the peg *and* you must pay more than all the other shorts.   The good news is that if people do this then it will end up supporting the PEG *AND* paying a high yield on USD.... thus greatly increasing demand for USD *AND* thus increasing the value of BTSX which then maximizes your real investment in BTSX.

Going short / long at the same time only gives you BTSX + BitUSD Yield.   The cost of doing this is paying the median price *AND* you can only do this if there is no one selling BitUSD below median price.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 05:46:39 pm by bytemaster »
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

hashbit