Author Topic: Cannot Transfer BTSX - [Resolved]  (Read 1475 times)

Offline oldman

• View Profile

You don't need to send funds to an account to register it.  Any account can register any other account.

I think this works if there are other accounts with funds available; in this case I was trying to follow the best practice of having one account per client (https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=8156.0 and couldn't pull funds from another account.

I also hope that more exchanges allow their users to register an account over their .. poloniex already has such a feature .. you basically just post your desired username and the public key and they do the reset ..

and we have a instruction for registering: http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/Bitshares-x-how-to#Account_registration

This is the tutorial I was following - and it does not tell users how to get funds to an unregistered account.

Most new users will be starting with a new client, a new account w/zero balance and BTSX on an exchange somewhere.

They will try to send BTSX to their new account for the registration fee and find they can't receive.

Definitely needs an update to at least tell users how access the public key so they can fund their unregistered account.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I also hope that more exchanges allow their users to register an account over their .. poloniex already has such a feature .. you basically just post your desired username and the public key and they do the reset ..

and we have a instruction for registering: http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/Bitshares-x-how-to#Account_registration

Offline bytemaster

Many thanks to xeroc for replying so quickly!

Apologies to the community, this was a case of a non-tech user trying to muddle through the registration process.

So here's what happened:

- Created new account with new name

- I attempted to send funds to the new account to register

- Did not realize I had to send the funds to the public key rather than the account name; this is why I could not receive funds

- Sent funds to public key, received

- Tried to register name

- Could not register name because someone is already using it

So lesson learned - we need to have a more directed 1-2-3 account creation guide/wizard that pops up when a new account is created, ie:

Step 1. Choose user name (should tell you if user name is available before allowing Step 2)

Step 2. Send funds to this address (show public key automatically)

Step 3. Register user name

You don't need to send funds to an account to register it.  Any account can register any other account.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline oldman

• View Profile
Many thanks to xeroc for replying so quickly!

Apologies to the community, this was a case of a non-tech user trying to muddle through the registration process.

So here's what happened:

- Created new account with new name

- I attempted to send funds to the new account to register

- Did not realize I had to send the funds to the public key rather than the account name; this is why I could not receive funds

- Sent funds to public key, received

- Tried to register name

- Could not register name because someone is already using it

So lesson learned - we need to have a more directed 1-2-3 account creation guide/wizard that pops up when a new account is created, ie:

Step 1. Choose user name (should tell you if user name is available before allowing Step 2)

Step 2. Send funds to this address (show public key automatically)

Step 3. Register user name

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
- you do have a connection to the network (check with "getinfo" in console)
- your blockchain is synced ("getinfo" again)
- the name you are sending to IS REGISTERED on the network?
- you can run wallet_recover_transaction cc7bf151 in your receiving account to recover the transaction

Offline oldman

• View Profile
I am attempting to move funds between two accounts on two different computers and do not seem able to receive the funds.

Transaction #cc7bf151

Block #432231 , transaction #0 , next #0

This is a 10 BTSX test transfer, my first one.

Why does the receiving account (new account) show no transactions and no funds? All blocks are synced and the receiving client says it is up to date.

Please help!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 04:35:20 pm by OldMan »