Author Topic: I am putting up a $10,000 bounty to break DPOS.... Join me.  (Read 10918 times)

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
Quote from: tonyk
Just a word of advice. The AMA thread was pretty heavy on people already active/participating in BTSX. I hope the results are representative for the whole BTC community but just take them with a grain of salt.

I agree, there were a lot of us there... But even when I talk about BitShares X to crypto friends and try to "convince" them based on features, they just roll their eyes and dismiss it as "just another alt". When I talk about it as a really cool experiment all of a sudden they're interested.

Good to hear that!
My attempts  end with 'roll their eyes'  90% of the time... I will try this approach then.
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline Riverhead

The experiment angle addresses an important other psychological trigger or perhaps just a general human condition.

Essentially no one likes to be preached at or condescended to. Parading out a brand new, relatively unproven, technology as the second coming and telling them how their antiquated technology is dead straight away creates an us versus them situation. A situation bitcoiners have been combating for years and their defenses are well honed.

Framing it as an experiment takes us off our high horse and puts us at a peer level; just another fellow crypto pioneer trying new things to buck the system...won't you come along for the ride?

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
Quote from: tonyk
Just a word of advice. The AMA thread was pretty heavy on people already active/participating in BTSX. I hope the results are representative for the whole BTC community but just take them with a grain of salt.

I agree, there were a lot of us there... But even when I talk about BitShares X to crypto friends and try to "convince" them based on features, they just roll their eyes and dismiss it as "just another alt". When I talk about it as a really cool experiment all of a sudden they're interested.

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
I believe you are 100% right in your selling points for that audience and you have good points for the different market segments you mentioned.  I studied copywriting for awhile, very fascinating stuff.  Never got to do much of it but I respect it very much.  Every hear of Bob Bly and/or read that scientific advertising book?  Probably I would guess.

One of the first books I ever read on copy was Scientific Advertising. Absolute classic!

Offline Riverhead

Imagine a hacker (or team) reading this post, decides to get a jump on breaking DPOS (at least in theory).  Then as soon as the official challenge is announced, "Voila. We've broken it (already)!".  What effect would that have?

They'd win the bounty. Broken is broken.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
@bitmarket

I sense you might be a direct response copywriter? Or involved in internet marketing in some way? I've been in that industry from the (almost) beginning. I'm friends with Yanik Silver and I've done copy for Neil Strauss a few times.

Something I've been trying to get across to the BitShares team is the importance of the language they use when talking to specific demographics. The language that will get bitcoiners excited is completely different than the language that will get mom and dad excited.

I did an AMA in /r/BitcoinMarkets/ on Monday and the main takeaway for me (as a copywriter / IMer) was how receptive they were when I framed BitShares X as a "financial experiment". It completely blasted past their psychological barriers. The people who frequent /r/BitcoinMarket are some of the most jaded cynical people you'll ever meet and yet they seemed completely open to the idea.

Based on the feedback from the AMA I've been toying with the slogan "The Greatest Financial Experiment Since Bitcoin" as a hook targeted at typical bitcoin adopters. Framing BitShares X as a financial experiment automatically dismisses it as a threat. Suddenly it's the same as bitcoin. An all new fascinating experiment they can get excited about all over again.

If bitcoiners see BitShares an innovative financial experiment they'll automatically think "I can get in on this early and become rich like the early bitcoiners" AND "it's just an experiment, not a hyped up scam coin so it's at least worth paying attention to". It completely gets past their bullshit detector.

Some of the AMA comments:

I've been following this since the days of PTS - still can't say I fully understand, but I'm glad to see progress because I think it's a fascinating experiment.

I really think BTSX is an awesome experiment!

There were many other comments along the lines of "awesome experiment" and "fascinating".

Offline GaltReport

@bitmarket

I sense you might be a direct response copywriter? Or involved in internet marketing in some way? I've been in that industry from the (almost) beginning. I'm friends with Yanik Silver and I've done copy for Neil Strauss a few times.

Something I've been trying to get across to the BitShares team is the importance of the language they use when talking to specific demographics. The language that will get bitcoiners excited is completely different than the language that will get mom and dad excited.

I did an AMA in /r/BitcoinMarkets/ on Monday and the main takeaway for me (as a copywriter / IMer) was how receptive they were when I framed BitShares X as a "financial experiment". It completely blasted past their psychological barriers. The people who frequent /r/BitcoinMarket are some of the most jaded cynical people you'll ever meet and yet they seemed completely open to the idea.

Based on the feedback from the AMA I've been toying with the slogan "The Greatest Financial Experiment Since Bitcoin" as a hook targeted at typical bitcoin adopters. Framing BitShares X as a financial experiment automatically dismisses it as a threat. Suddenly it's the same as bitcoin. An all new fascinating experiment they can get excited about all over again.

If bitcoiners see BitShares an innovative financial experiment they'll automatically think "I can get in on this early and become rich like the early bitcoiners" AND "it's just an experiment, not a hyped up scam coin so it's at least worth paying attention to". It completely gets past their bullshit detector.

I've been following this since the days of PTS - still can't say I fully understand, but I'm glad to see progress because I think it's a fascinating experiment.

There were many other comments along the lines of "awesome experiment" and "fascinating".

I believe you are 100% right in your selling points for that audience and you have good points for the different market segments you mentioned.  I studied copywriting for awhile, very fascinating stuff.  Never got to do much of it but I respect it very much.  Every hear of Bob Bly and/or read that scientific advertising book?  Probably I would guess.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 01:53:58 am by GaltReport »

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
@bitmarket

« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 01:45:14 am by MeTHoDx »

Offline bitmarket

• View Profile
    • BitShares TV
Hi Stan,

I dont disagree with anything you said.  Except that... it should not be said.   

Hi Max,

Totally agree (outside this "private" strategy discussion).  Framing it correctly for different audiences is what we need you silver tongued marketeers for!  :)

My only point was that there is more marketing hay to be made with newcomers than with those already in the industry.  We shouldn't be picking fights, but we shouldn't downplay that we are building the other 99% of the financial system - the part beyond checking that is complementary to Bitcoin.

That was the spin of my recent blog post "BitShares Savings joins Bitcoin Checking" here:  http://bitshares.org/bitshares-savings-joins-bitcoin-checking/

Sort of gives another meaning to the term "BitShares Check Mate"  :)

But considering the ultimate implications of a disruptive technology is also an important factor in crafting an optimum long term marketing playbook.  I think the world is ready to hear about bitAssets immediately.

Hi Stan,

I love that we are all working for the same cause and so i have no desire to hold you back from letting the world hear about bitAssets. I am just suggesting that with the entry and exit points of bitUSD being bitcoin, it is a tough sell at the moment.   And in order to get bitUSD on main exchanges and vizable the quickest way is to get bitcoiners on board.

M
Host of BitShares.TV and Author of BitShares 101

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
Hi Stan,

I dont disagree with anything you said.  Except that... it should not be said.   

Hi Max,

Totally agree (outside this "private" strategy discussion).  Framing it correctly for different audiences is what we need you silver tongued marketeers for!  :)

My only point was that there is more marketing hay to be made with newcomers than with those already in the industry.  We shouldn't be picking fights, but we shouldn't downplay that we are building the other 99% of the financial system - the part beyond checking that is complementary to Bitcoin.

That was the spin of my recent blog post "BitShares Savings joins Bitcoin Checking" here:  http://bitshares.org/bitshares-savings-joins-bitcoin-checking/

Sort of gives another meaning to the term "BitShares Check Mate"  :)

But considering the ultimate implications of a disruptive technology is also an important factor in crafting an optimum long term marketing playbook.  I think the world is ready to hear about bitAssets immediately.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 12:23:22 am by Stan »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline GaltReport

I agree completely..... this isn't about crushing Bitcoin, it is about taking idea of Bitcoin to the next level and giving everyone who was late to the game an opportunity to get rich, and those who got rich from Bitcoin to get even richer.

And there was me thinking your motivation for creating Bitshares was to make the State irrelevant...

Edit: I suppose all good deeds need to be rewarded ;D

Shouldn't the people who make the state irrelevant get rich?  :D

I took BM's comment in the context of the question about how to market this to bitcoin champions rather than a statement reflecting the entirety of his motives.  From what I've read of his views, his motivations are clearly beyond just the financial opportunity.

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
I agree completely..... this isn't about crushing Bitcoin, it is about taking idea of Bitcoin to the next level and giving everyone who was late to the game an opportunity to get rich, and those who got rich from Bitcoin to get even richer.

And there was me thinking your motivation for creating Bitshares was to make the State irrelevant...

Shouldn't the people who make the state irrelevant get rich?  :D

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
Therefore when I release this video, it would be great if people in this community did not start conversations in the comments section saying, "bitsharess is gonna crush bitcoin." "POW is dead" "DPOS will render bitcoin obsolete"

The same line of though make me hate the "I killed the bank" slogan...

Offline bytemaster

Therefore when I release this video, it would be great if people in this community did not start conversations in the comments section saying, "bitsharess is gonna crush bitcoin." "POW is dead" "DPOS will render bitcoin obsolete"

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.