Author Topic: How to change a username?  (Read 1376 times)

Offline registeringishard

• View Profile
Thanks for your help.

I suppose I will start all over, and pick a username that no one could possibly want.  But that's not how people act normally, so that's something devs need to care about.  If this currency will fly, it needs to be easily adoptable, and what a fail that is right now.  Try to register a username anywhere, and you'll be told it is taken within seconds, and then given a chance to find a new one on the same screen.  That's 1998 technology. 

Anyway, much appreciated.  Bitshares seems too far forward regarding blockchain technology to be missing the mark on very elementary user registration issues.  Even if it takes 10 minutes to find out that a username cannot be duplicated, there should be an easy way to change.  Maybe I don't understand the issues involved.

Offline inarizushi

• View Profile
You cannot change your username, but theoretically you should always be able to create a new account. However, it might be better to completely uninstall the bitshares client and start over than having multiple accounts. You will have no problem finding a donator here.

Clearly the wallet is not practical at all at the present time, that's why it's not even an official release (v 0.4.23, still a beta !), and the devs are very aware of how it's hard to register and how it will hinder adoption : it has been debated here in the forum, and the main concern before starting the marketing push is to make the wallet use slick.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline registeringishard

• View Profile
So...  I need some help.

I purchased BTSX on an exchange several months ago.

I decided I wanted it in my own wallet so I could try things out.  I downloaded the wallet. 

I posted in the forum, and someone was kind enough to send me .5 BTSX so I could register a username.

As a newbie, of course, I chose a username that was already taken.  Since then, I've been unable to change it.

So...  within the wallet, how do I change my username so I can register it?  The client tells me my current username is taken every time I start it.  As far as I can tell, I can't change the username.

Do I need to start all over, and ask for another donation?  If I didn't already own a bunch of BTSX, I'd have given up by now.  If a username is rejected, it should be easy to try another.

So, what do I do now?  For new users, this is going to be  problem that will hinder adoption. It was hard enough to find the registration ID, and I'm far from new to the internet or software.  These are rather big hurdles, that don't really need to be hurdles.