Author Topic: Transaction scanning progress back at 0%...this is so annoying and takes forevr!  (Read 2795 times)

Offline thazel72

• View Profile
Thank you all for your answers. My wallet seems to lose sync if it is inactive when I am gone. Sometimes it can take a few hours to sync again. As a not-so-technical user I see how this would be very frustrating for new users. What are the odds that a platform like Coinbase could emerge to make it easy for non-technical users? Something that could automatically convert any assets or equity to BitUSD when a merchant transactions takes place. IMO one of the major issues with all cryptocurrencies is the psychological barrier of the decimal place. Average users have a hard time processing information to the right of the decimal point, because they have always used the numbers to the left in commerce. Do you see an online wallet and vault in the near future? I wonder if Marc Andreessen would fund it?

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
Transaction scanning is slow because of cryptography and because every update we rescan everything as we fix bugs. 

Once we get to version 1.0 you will only have to scan new transactions since your last sync.

The speed of rescanning is heavily dependent upon how many accounts you have.  It can take 10x longer if you have 10 accounts vs 1 account which can make a scanning process that takes me 6 minutes take someone else 1 hour.    If you are using 32 bit windows it will also take 2x as long.   

Transaction pruning won't help.

We are working on a light-weight solution, but that will depend upon blockchain servers and other infrastructure.

Looks like transaction scanning always freeze the client UI in windows.
Will it help if "Move some code into a separate thread"?
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline bytemaster

For those of us who run on multi-core systems (probably everybody except those running on VPS servers), it would help if those intense calculations were done on all cores.

In fact, some clever person seems to have filed a ticket suggesting this exact fix...24 days ago [1].

[1] https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares_toolkit/issues/718

not exactly trivial when you have 100 moving parts and async operations.  Certainly doable... but this is a performance enhancement rather than a bug fix.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
In fact, some clever person seems to have filed a ticket suggesting this exact fix...24 days ago [1].
I lol'ed :-)

Offline theoretical

For those of us who run on multi-core systems (probably everybody except those running on VPS servers), it would help if those intense calculations were done on all cores.

[1] https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares_toolkit/issues/718
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 05:00:14 pm by drltc »
BTS- theoretical / PTS- PZxpdC8RqWsdU3pVJeobZY7JFKVPfNpy5z / BTC- 1NfGejohzoVGffAD1CnCRgo9vApjCU2viY / the delegate formerly known as drltc / Nothing said on these forums is intended to be legally binding / All opinions are my own unless otherwise noted / Take action due to my posts at your own risk

Offline bytemaster

Transaction scanning is slow because of cryptography and because every update we rescan everything as we fix bugs. 

Once we get to version 1.0 you will only have to scan new transactions since your last sync.

The speed of rescanning is heavily dependent upon how many accounts you have.  It can take 10x longer if you have 10 accounts vs 1 account which can make a scanning process that takes me 6 minutes take someone else 1 hour.    If you are using 32 bit windows it will also take 2x as long.   

Transaction pruning won't help.

We are working on a light-weight solution, but that will depend upon blockchain servers and other infrastructure. 
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
The devs want to implement blockchain pruning (that's also a part of the reasoning for an inactivity fee)

basically what happens is that all transactions that are older than 365 days are force moved to a new (current block) .. thus the blockchain will only ever have the last year stored ..

38PTSWarrior

Yes, but maybe there will be Electrum-style wallets that "sync" immediately.

Offline thazel72

• View Profile
What happens when the BTSX blockchain becomes 10 years old? Would it take a really long time to sync with the blockchain for a new wallet?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Is this due to the new update? How long will it take?

Can I send BTSX from Bter to my bitshares wallet while it is still scanning, or do i have to wait?

rescanning takes some time .. yes .. devs are working on making it faster

yes you can send funds to your account similar to bitcoin, where you can also send funds to your address ... you will also only see them once your are fully synced with the network ..
what your client is doing is totally independent what other clients are doing .. the only thing that counts is what the blockchain states

Offline Frodo03

• View Profile
Is this due to the new update? How long will it take?

Can I send BTSX from Bter to my bitshares wallet while it is still scanning, or do i have to wait?