Author Topic: I want to hold BTSX for long term...where is the best place to keep it?  (Read 4172 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline jokb235

• View Profile
That is true. My BTSX wallet keeps crashing though. There isn't a paper wallet is there?
not really .. .... yet

but maybe we can fix the issue.
- what operating system are you on?
- most recent version running?
- any errors on crash?

Version: 0.4.10
Errors: I'm not aware of any errors...it just pops up with the crash sender. I can't seem to find any logs in the directory either.

Offline D4vegee

• View Profile

Currently I have a small amount on BTer but I don't think that's a good place to keep it for long term.

Why don't you think Bter is a good place to store them long term?

No exchange is good long term. If you ain't day trading. Take every last Satoshi out and keep em backed up! I have learned from mistakes. Saying that, you don't really need an exchange for day trading btsx..(only for buying them initially) Just use the Bitshares wallet/exchange. But thats off topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
That is true. My BTSX wallet keeps crashing though. There isn't a paper wallet is there?
not really .. .... yet

but maybe we can fix the issue.
- what operating system are you on?
- most recent version running?
- any errors on crash?

Offline jokb235

• View Profile

every 3rd party one can get robbed .. if you get robbed .. it's your own fault
[/quote]

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
every 3rd party one can get robbed .. if you get robbed .. it's your own fault

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Keep it in your brain. Bitshares X is a brain wallet.
the term brain wallet is missleading ..
it is not  brain wallet as in NXT where the private key is derived from the passphrase.
The private key usually is random (although you can generate one via a brainwallet)

As far as I know it's deterministic and based around a based around some words. Just memorize those words and you should be able to reconstruct the wallet or am I wrong?

I guess this is something which needs to be clarified in the documents.
In NXT the (one and only) private key is generated from the 'passphrase' and thus you can use a memorizable 'brain wallet' (set of common words). If your brainwallet is stolen, so are your funds!

In bitsharesX the main (wallet) private key is randomly chosen and encrypted by the passphrase .. if your wallet is stolen, the funds are safe because encrypted.
Within the wallet you have multiple accounts (account names) and each account has several deposits (effectively, due to TITAN, independent addresses with each having its own private keys)
however .. ALL keys that are needed to either access your deposits, your account, or market orders are DERIVED DETERMINISTICALLY from either the wallet private key, or the account private key (for account related accounts: withdraws, trades etc...)

So: all keys (except the main wallet private key) can be regenerated from the one wallet private key (unless you important some privkeys by hand)

you can surely try to memorize the private key of your wallet. It has the form
Code: [Select]
private key: 48bbc81a0e210326c7b86d455255eda91990c84b74ebe12ec21930c8181ceca8
or as private key WIF format: 5JNKTjT8FdygfjivjFxdRxGzvd1q4KMFrvHk81hcKukZUEi84Ke

Offline jokb235

• View Profile
Currently I have a small amount on BTer but I don't think that's a good place to keep it for long term.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
it is not  brain wallet as in NXT where the private key is derived from the passphrase.
The private key usually is random (although you can generate one via a brainwallet)

As far as I know it's deterministic and based around a based around some words. Just memorize those words and you should be able to reconstruct the wallet or am I wrong?

I guess this is something which needs to be clarified in the documents.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
Hey all,

I'm assuming the most secure place would be in my Bitshares wallet? Currently I have a small amount on BTer but I don't think that's a good place to keep it for long term.

What is the status with BTSX cold storage?

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Frodo03

• View Profile
Okay, but this hasn't been implemented yet, right?

How often would I have to move my funds around once it's implemented?

Offline Frodo03

• View Profile
If your "future" cold storage wallet bitshares are not moved around once a year, you will lose 5% a year each year of inactivity.

? Care to explain? I'm still new to bitshares, as you can tell