Author Topic: SPAM - A cost of success  (Read 4118 times)

Offline rysgc

• View Profile
    • DACZine.com
Well, then a simple captcha will suffice as well, maybe those new fancy ones (yeah they do get broken by paid services as well). Bound together with a seconds-before-next-post property should be ok for newcomers so they can post like ones an hour/day until they mature. So many ways to solve this but i think the timing between posts is the most important property on which to judge for newcomers.
DACZine.com - Receive all the latest DAC and BitShares community news straight to your inbox. Signup here or Submit news

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
Bans won't work. Did you see his username? It was script generated. For all we know it's just a script running on a cron to hit us daily, weekly, or monthly.

Active moderation and trusted delegates would be the easiest solution. If it's not a script generated name we could pseudo ban them. Basically it's like a global ignore. They can still post and read posts but no one can see anything they do. They do not know this has been done to them. It's a particularly nasty thing to do to a real person but a spammer isn't really a person.

Sounds good to me.

Offline Riverhead

Bans won't work. Did you see his username? It was script generated. For all we know it's just a script running on a cron to hit us daily, weekly, or monthly.

Active moderation and trusted delegates would be the easiest solution. If it's not a script generated name we could pseudo ban them. Basically it's like a global ignore. They can still post and read posts but no one can see anything they do. They do not know this has been done to them. It's a particularly nasty thing to do to a real person but a spammer isn't really a person.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
Maybe some voting system would do, if someone receives x bad votes within y time he will be banned automatically for 24 hours orso, if he do it again ban for life. Kinda hard to have it monitored here around the clock, but well it's about time that it will indeed.

That's why we need a 'neighborhood watch', so to speak. Either get enough mods for round-the-clock coverage or else empower a small army of us to keep the place clean.

Offline rysgc

• View Profile
    • DACZine.com
Maybe some voting system would do, if someone receives x bad votes within y time he will be banned automatically for 24 hours orso, if he do it again ban for life. Kinda hard to have it monitored here around the clock, but well it's about time that it will indeed.
DACZine.com - Receive all the latest DAC and BitShares community news straight to your inbox. Signup here or Submit news

Offline onceuponatime

We need an active moderator who takes the monitoring seriously. And maybe we need a team of watchers, trusted members who are empowered to report questionable posts. Once flagged by someone with this authority, the post would go down and the poster would be unable to post unless/until a moderator's review deemed the message okay. Any watcher abusing this power to prevent the free interchange of ideas and open debate would lose that privilege.

I spotted the spammer after his first post and reported to Moderator and asked him to be banned. I did the same in several other threads as he continued his spamming. But he still managed to spam 42 threads, and STILL hasn't been banned (although he has now logged off). It appears that there is no active Moderation.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
We need an active moderator who takes the monitoring seriously. And maybe we need a team of watchers, trusted members who are empowered to report questionable posts. Once flagged by someone with this authority, the post would go down and the poster would be unable to post unless/until a moderator's review deemed the message okay. Any watcher abusing this power to prevent the free interchange of ideas and open debate would lose that privilege.

Offline Riverhead

So now that we're gaining a lot of attention we're going to be increasingly attracting the attention of the script kiddies.

Thoughts on preventing us getting swamped with this sort of thing? I am loath to use a newbie thread you need to somehow graduate from like bitcointalk (been a member over a year and still can't post lol).

Our spammer tonight is going to be the first of many. I'm looking at you, Bitsapphire :) .
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 02:42:51 am by Riverhead »