Author Topic: Some advice from a convert.  (Read 4717 times)

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
Buy ads on /r/Bitcoin etc. that says
Earn interest on your Bitcoin,

+5%

Also /r/BitcoinMarkets

Offline eagleeye

• View Profile
Is there an infographic comparison of bitcoin to bitshares?  If not we need it.

My guy is working real slow on the infographic we will see if we finish the alignment tonight.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
Wouldn't long term Bitcoin holders go to conferences or go on Bitcointalk? In that case they already know about Bitshares. If they don't go to those places they check Coinmarketcap.

The problem with targeting Bitcoin holders exclusively is most people into Bitcoin are poor. They don't have any money left. If they had so much money the Bitcoin price would reflect it.

So new people need to enter the market.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 10:37:38 pm by luckybit »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline cygnify

• View Profile
I do like this approach as a starting point (but there definitely is a whole new group of user bitsharesX should aim at concurrently or a short time after).
6 months ago had you told me that bitcoin costs $657,450,000 per year currently to keep it operational I may have thought twice about dumping as much money into it as I did. Not many users are aware of this and that Bitshares not only solves this, but is deflationary for the main currency BTSX. Amazing!

This stuff sells itself. Honestly the problem with bitsharesX is it sounds too good to be true after dealing with bitcoin. Seriously.

Offline triox

• View Profile
  • BitShares: triox
While the community awaits the big "marketing push", I think I can add some perspective, as I believe I AM your target customer. At this stage Bitshares-X is a niche product that should target mainly long time BTC holders. If you can't capture them how can you ever dream of acquiring the mainstream attention?

I've been slowly accumulating BTC since mid 2011 and used to be venomously anti altcoins, including all the "2.0 nonsense".
I'm still 96% BTC, but here's what made me start diversifying into BTSX, NXT and ETH and some others (BTSX is the first thing that I put more than 1 BTC in):

• Stephen Reed's points about Bitcoin's wastefulness and how much marketing and development could be done with a different coin generation method.
  • Dan Larimer's interview, where he outlined the "economic insanity" of Proof of Work.
  • Realization that my interests are no longer aligned with miners'. Those couple hundred people centralized in a handful of pools are diluting my stake, for what? There's still 11 mil coins to be mined and NO chance that I will ever be able to increase my share of the market. Fuck inflation and fuck the fake industry that feeds off of it.
  • It took me a while, but I only recently realized that I might as well hold some of my BTC in BitBTC and earn interest.

The only thing that's preventing me from pulling the trigger and going, say, 10% BTSX and BitBTC is uncertainty over development and bugs. I'm not 100% sure if my BTC will be completely safe in a BTSX container or if rules for BTSX won't change. If Bytemaster can suddenly introduce such fundamental change as interest on BitAssets, then the whole thing seems to hang too much on a whim of one person. This adds uncomfortable unpredictability.

The important thing right now is to just get the Bitcoiners to tip their toes in your ecosystem. You won't get them to suddenly dump their BTC, but you absolutely can get them to diversify into your offerings. A little at first, and more when  confidence in your system grows.

So here's my recommendation:
Buy ads on /r/Bitcoin etc. that says
Earn interest on your Bitcoin,
or
Did you know Bitcoin looses $Billion a year?
or
Ten seconds block times, trustless BTC, USD, Gold trading
and lands to a Bitshares-X page geared specifically towards BTC holders.

Buy native advertising on CoinDesk and other crypto media outlets.

Stop wasting money trying to acquire traffic from people interested in buying Bitcoin for the first time. They barely "get" Bitcoin, don't think you can make them understand even deeper levels of abstraction.