Author Topic: Are shorts functioning the way they should now? Ran a test and they seem broken.  (Read 2884 times)

Offline GaltReport

Is anyone else experiencing what fumanchu808 is experiencing?
Since the latest update(0.4.14), there is no range limit that prevented placing shorts too close to bids. I can place a short order to exact match the bid, however the order does not appear on the the public board. When i place the short far enough from the bids, it appears on the public board.

"Short BitUSD"
"Range 23.0769 - 28.4900 BTSX/BitUSD"
"Highest Bid 24.49 BTSX/BitUSD"

This is what I have seen as well.  I don't know if it's a bug or if this is the intended way for it to work.

Xeldal

Another thing is that you should never try to match a bid perfectly; you should always overlap it by a tiny amount. A lot of the time there are decimals that you can't see which make your short look like it should match, but it's actually fractionally too high.

You can click on the bid/ask order and it will fill in the applicable boxes for you perfectly.

However it won't take you to the correct (buy/sell/short) tab.  You have to choose the tab first and then click the appropriate bid/ask that your going for.

merockstar

Another thing is that you should never try to match a bid perfectly; you should always overlap it by a tiny amount. A lot of the time there are decimals that you can't see which make your short look like it should match, but it's actually fractionally too high.

You can click on the bid/ask order and it will fill in the applicable boxes for you perfectly.

Offline starik69

• View Profile
I cannot understand how to close shorts.  :o
I had shorted 2 BitUSD, then did something and now it shows 0.5 BitUSD short. But amount of bithsares on my account did not change  :'(

Offline biophil

• Professor of Computer Science
    • View Profile
    • My Academic Website
  • BitShares: biophil
Hmm, is there a rule in effect that won't let you short BitUSD below the lowest ASK price?

I've offered to match a bid perfectly but my Short request just hangs in limbo as an open order. The transaction doesn't match to the available bid and I can't see the short request on the board.

Seems peculiar, no?

Probably though you're trying to short below the median price feed. BitUSD is currently trading at a discount to USD, so you can't short unless the price rises. There is a good chance that you'll have a hard time shorting USD in the near-term because there is a lot of it on the market. That's why the USD peg isn't very accurate. If you want to test out shorting, you might want to try the bitCNY market - the peg is holding more closely and the supply is much lower, so you're more likely to be able to get a short matched.
Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."

Offline kisa

• View Profile
Hmm, is there a rule in effect that won't let you short BitUSD below the lowest ASK price?

I've offered to match a bid perfectly but my Short request just hangs in limbo as an open order. The transaction doesn't match to the available bid and I can't see the short request on the board.

Seems peculiar, no?

did you perhaps notice what the range was at the time you were trying to place a short? e.g. "Range 22.9506 - 28.3340 BTSX/BitUSD" underneath of the price input field... if the lowest ask price /  bid was < the lower range bound - then the system won't let you input an order at such price. i believe this thread https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=8358.msg109191#msg109191 was discussing why shorts below certain distance to the peg shouldn't be allowed..

« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 10:29:20 am by kisa0145 »

Offline eagleeye

• View Profile
Is anyone else experiencing what fumanchu808 is experiencing?

Offline fumanchu808

• View Profile

Seems peculiar, no?

Offline fumanchu808

• View Profile
I'm currently running another test transaction but the price of BitUSD went up and I ended up walking away with more BTSX on a short... which seems backwards to me but maybe I am simply thinking of the market backwards already.

I will report back with exact numbers this time (didn't write everything down last time and as I mentioned in another thread the transaction history needs a little work).

Offline biophil

• Professor of Computer Science
    • View Profile
    • My Academic Website
  • BitShares: biophil
I thought the first line was clear enough, I shorted BitUSD at one price, the price went up and then when I closed the short I ended up with more BTSX than I has started with. Which seems exactly backwards of what should have happened.

I think toast was encouraging you to go through rot your benefit, not his - what you're saying doesn't sound possible. What price went up? The price around 25, or the price around 0.04? I honestly apologize if that sounds like a dumb question, but it could explain why your numbers aren't what you'd expect.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
The question is:
The price of what went up? - The price of bitUSD or the price of BTSX.
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline fumanchu808

• View Profile
I thought the first line was clear enough, I shorted BitUSD at one price, the price went up and then when I closed the short I ended up with more BTSX than I has started with. Which seems exactly backwards of what should have happened.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Your statement is equivalent yo "I was able to create new btsx" - go through exactly what you did

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline fumanchu808

• View Profile
The last time I tried to short BitUSD the price went up but I turned a profit somehow. While I'm glad to see the amount of BTSX I had increase as a result that is exactly backwards of the way shorts are supposed to work, if I'm not mistaken.

A short should simply be an agreement to return X amount of BitUSD to the bidder at a future date. If the BTSX price per unit of BitUSD rises it should cost me more to do so thereby eating away at some of my collateral. If the price falls I should profit the difference... but that doesn't seem to be how it's working.

Am I missing something here?