Author Topic: Just sent to wrong address  (Read 2427 times)

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Ya, someone recently sent me another 100k x)

But I don't have "bter" unfortunately.. I recommend sending a message to the person you sent to, asking for for the money back.

Offline nodata

• View Profile
I accidentally did the same thing sending money out of the bter exchange to my wallet.. except it didnt go to my wallet, it went to the last person I sent it too from within the exchange. Luckily I knew the guy and he sent it back..

bter should also somehow make you double check where you're sending it too.. or maybe I should just not be so careless

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
actually the accountname "bter" is owned by reputable member of this forum .. I remember a post where he told us about some incoming transaction of 100k btsx and he sent them back .. maybe search the forum .. not sure if it was CLains ..

Offline serejandmyself

• View Profile
I think it's better to have a white list.
you can only sent to the account in the white list.
if you want to sent to a new account, you need to add the account to the white list first. this can avoid the stupid mistake.

Also agree. In my online banking before i send any money to anyone i have to fill out a "white list" form, then those contacts are saved in my preferences and i can choose them out quickly. It takes extra time, but its worth the 5 minute hussle so i dint send it to someone by a mistake.
btsx - bitsharesrussia

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
Just sent 974 BTSX to the name bter instead of my own.. My registered name is also 4 characters so seeing bter everywhere I accidentally input it instead of my own.

Stupid mistake, good thing i didn't lose alot. Is there any safeguard against sending to the wrong alias? typos will happen.

The owner of that address is going to be rich one day.  :-\

Dig the initial thread who counter-registered all bter aliases, so no spammer can get them. (was it Clains?, I do not know but it was some pretty well known person on this forum, that returned 100K wrongly sent already). I have 'bter-deposit' registered to me due to a complicated mistake explained  in more detail in the same thread.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 01:46:21 pm by tonyk »
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline rysgc

• View Profile
    • DACZine.com
Yeah that whitelist would probably best.
DACZine.com - Receive all the latest DAC and BitShares community news straight to your inbox. Signup here or Submit news

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
if you want to sent to a new account, you need to add the account to the white list first. this can avoid the stupid mistake.

+5%

Offline Riverhead

+5%  YES!!

Also, bter may have been registered by a community member. I recall on a mumble session someone said they registered a lot of the variations to beat scamers to the punch. You'll get your funds back if it was one of his.

Offline GaltReport

Good idea.

Offline alt

• View Profile
  • BitShares: baozi

Offline GaltReport

One thing you can do is add the bter public-key listed in your bter account to your contacts and come up with a unique name that won't be chosen by the fraudsters. I did this after a similar experience. Test it by sending only a small amount.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 12:03:41 am by GaltReport »

Offline Helikopterben

• View Profile
Yea I could see this becoming a problem.  Perhaps an option to retype the recipients address.

Offline rysgc

• View Profile
    • DACZine.com
Yeah the name squatters do their job, i think the auto-complete feature should be disabled and maybe an extra verification message should appear.
DACZine.com - Receive all the latest DAC and BitShares community news straight to your inbox. Signup here or Submit news

Offline Bitshark

• View Profile
Just sent 974 BTSX to the name bter instead of my own.. My registered name is also 4 characters so seeing bter everywhere I accidentally input it instead of my own.

Stupid mistake, good thing i didn't lose alot. Is there any safeguard against sending to the wrong alias? typos will happen.

The owner of that address is going to be rich one day.  :-\