Author Topic: BitAssets on coinmarketcap  (Read 5944 times)

merockstar

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=199685.msg8796133#msg8796133

Hi Gliss.

Would you consider adding BitShares X BitAssets to coinmarketcap?

Currently, BitUSD exists, and apparently has a market cap of about half a million. BitBTC also exists but I'm uncertain of it's market cap.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
So, if we want to be (needlessly, imo) precise on CMC, we really should be reporting the total BTSX supply as the actual total supply minus whatever is tied up as collateral.
*agreed*

Seems like some of the arguments here for NOT listing bitUSD on CMC hinge on the fact that there would be some kind of logical inconsistency about it: the net bitUSD value is zero, etc etc. But I'd fully support getting it listed as-is, with no caveats, for two reasons: 1) cheap marketing exposure, and 2) it will neatly showcase the market peg in action: people will be able to see 1 bitUSD = 1 USD.
If we can get the above point done first .. than this is the way to go!! awesome proposal

Market cap isn't really a very useful measure anyway, except that it gives you bragging rights and free advertising on CMC. Let's not get hung up on the pedantic little details...
*agreed* .. but let's take that free marketing boost :-)

Offline biophil

• Professor of Computer Science
    • View Profile
    • My Academic Website
  • BitShares: biophil
the "market cap" of the bitUSD is part of the market cap of BTSX .. so either you cheat on all the people that thing those are independent markets .. or you have to clearly state that the bitUSD is part of btsx

once the bitUSD gets traded (shorted) on other DACs (MUSIC) too .. things get VERY messy

Current market cap of BitUSD is $497,780 and it is distinct from BTSX. BitUSD is backed by BTSX, but not 'part of'.
It seems I still need to learn alot about the economical part here :-) thanks for pointing it out ..
but .. in theory .. could it be possible for bitUSD to have a higher cap than btsx?

No, bitAssets can't ever have a higher cap than BTSX. Also, I could see an argument that bitAssets are contained within the market cap of BTSX, because for every bitUSD, there are at least 1.5 dollars' worth of BTSX tied up in collateral, effectively removed from the share supply.

So, if we want to be (needlessly, imo) precise on CMC, we really should be reporting the total BTSX supply as the actual total supply minus whatever is tied up as collateral.

Seems like some of the arguments here for NOT listing bitUSD on CMC hinge on the fact that there would be some kind of logical inconsistency about it: the net bitUSD value is zero, etc etc. But I'd fully support getting it listed as-is, with no caveats, for two reasons: 1) cheap marketing exposure, and 2) it will neatly showcase the market peg in action: people will be able to see 1 bitUSD = 1 USD.

Market cap isn't really a very useful measure anyway, except that it gives you bragging rights and free advertising on CMC. Let's not get hung up on the pedantic little details...

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
the "market cap" of the bitUSD is part of the market cap of BTSX .. so either you cheat on all the people that thing those are independent markets .. or you have to clearly state that the bitUSD is part of btsx

once the bitUSD gets traded (shorted) on other DACs (MUSIC) too .. things get VERY messy

Current market cap of BitUSD is $497,780 and it is distinct from BTSX. BitUSD is backed by BTSX, but not 'part of'.
It seems I still need to learn alot about the economical part here :-) thanks for pointing it out ..
but .. in theory .. could it be possible for bitUSD to have a higher cap than btsx?

Offline serejandmyself

• View Profile

im trying to understand that now actually - is bitassets MC a part of btsx MC or is it a seperate one? on one hand the assets are "inside" the platform so they are included in btsx MC.
btsx - bitsharesrussia

Offline bobohuy

• View Profile
Can coinmarketcap implement a down arrow next to btsx? When user click to the arrow, a list of bitasset will be appeared with their marketcap ? So it implies that all bitAsset included in btsx.

drekrob

The shorts count as negative BitUSD so the amount of BitUSD is zero all the time.

Offline bitcoinerS

• View Profile

>>> approve bitcoiners

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH

Offline serejandmyself

• View Profile
Dont think its just me but shouldn't we have our BitAssets up on coinmarketcap?

Each asset once created and actively traded should have its own special place on the cap. In future when BitAssets become wide spread we may even need to collectively combine into an index e.g the "Bit10"! (something more catchy of course). Not sure of the technicals but I dont think this is too early.

Should they have their own domains or link to an asset register? Could be a bit of marketing to play with here but what a great way to display bitshares assets.

I think its been brought up already in a few topics and i totaly agree. Maybe we can ask CMC to have a sub cap on bitshares X where it would display assets market cap.

On the other hand right now to see the market cap people need to go to bitsharesblocks, which is good, as it creates some sort of hype round a "local" website
btsx - bitsharesrussia

Offline bitcoinerS

• View Profile
>>> approve bitcoiners

Offline johncitizen

• View Profile
Dont think its just me but shouldn't we have our BitAssets up on coinmarketcap?

Each asset once created and actively traded should have its own special place on the cap. In future when BitAssets become wide spread we may even need to collectively combine into an index e.g the "Bit10"! (something more catchy of course). Not sure of the technicals but I dont think this is too early.

Should they have their own domains or link to an asset register? Could be a bit of marketing to play with here but what a great way to display bitshares assets.