Author Topic: Severe network problems  (Read 1890 times)

Offline svk

No, I'm running 0.4.14. It looks like the "check for updates" doesn't work, as I always do that after logging in and it hasn't ever notified me of a new version.

Like those new releases are popping out quite frequently now. I loaded 0.4.14 yesterday morning.

So regarding the fork context, this is literally caused by a fork in the code? Each version is a fork in the code base?
A fork in the context of a crypto-currency is when the blockchain splits, meaning that we have multiple chains for which delegates or miners are producing blocks. It can happen if a delegate runs two instances of the client for example, or due to timing issues etc. There's a lot of logic built into the clients to handle chains and pick the right one, but you can still get stuck on the wrong one. Shutting down the client and restarting with --rebuild-index should resolve it if it happens to you.
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline Thom

No, I'm running 0.4.14. It looks like the "check for updates" doesn't work, as I always do that after logging in and it hasn't ever notified me of a new version.

Like those new releases are popping out quite frequently now. I loaded 0.4.14 yesterday morning.

So regarding the fork context, this is literally caused by a fork in the code? Each version is a fork in the code base?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 07:51:18 pm by Thom »
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline yellowecho

Do you have the newest client?  You should be running v0.4.15
696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline Thom

I see this too. I'm testing with a VM and have another issue I'll discuss in another thread.

I am familiar with forks in a code base, but not familiar with this term in the context of this thread.

Could one of you explain it or refer me to another thread or documentation that would?

Thank you.
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline silverlots

• View Profile
I'll take a look. Thanks for the quick reply

Offline svk

It means you're either on a fork or you've lost connection with the network. The delegate participation ratio drops because you're not receiving new blocks. You can check the network status on the home page of my site, if you're not seeing the same thing as what's in the "NETWORK HEALTH" box chances are you're on a fork. (or my site's on a fork, but it's currently at 100% delegate participation so it's on the main fork)
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline silverlots

• View Profile
S here's a new one. My client keeps saying ''severe network problems - delegate participation rate under 60%''
Is that something only i'm getting or are you all seing this?
All works fine btw...it's just this message that freaks me out.