Author Topic: How to run a delegate node in Windows  (Read 1210 times)

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
1. You still must be selected elected as delegate.
2. While, maybe possible, running it under windows is not recommended, as far as I know
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 09:45:30 pm by tonyk »
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline FuLl

• View Profile
Hi,

I've been talking in another thread about how to set up a delegate node amongst other things, on a VPS running linux.  During that conversation it came up that it might be possible to run a delegate node in Windows. The thread is located here for those interested in having a look:
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=8644.0

This is a good thing for me, since I already paid a fee to create my primary BitSharesX account as a delegate account. If I were to have to create a new account to be a delegate & run on the linux box, I will have wasted my money on that delegate fee for my primary account.

Apparently a BitSharesX client is distributed along with the main BitSharesX GUI, as detailed in the following screenshot:
You can't manage the wallet from your windows machine.
Hm, I think I did at one point... (Am I wrong???)
Not sure, but I think liondani was even running a delegate under win. at one point.

Yea, I might be incorrect about some of this stuff.  I know there were issues that dacsunlimited made a post about in regards to having 2 wallets with same key + delegates.   One would have to not be producing blocks.  This might be readily possible, but for a newbie asking how to do it, I think the answer would be "no you can't".   There is just no reason to do this.  Have a delegate account and have your personal account.

The code to run a delegate under windows exists just like it does under linux, but I am not sure the CLI version is even distributed for Windows.  So that means you'd need to compile it since the GUI client is strongly recommended against when running a delegate. 

If Windows CLI is distributed by dacsunlimited, then I suppose there would be no reason to not run a delegate under windows.  I'd need to dig around the install directory and see....

It is there: bitshares_client.exe

I'm starting this thread as a means to a) determine how to run a delegate node in Windows, & b) to server as a reference for other newbies such as myself to learn how to do so themselves.

So to all those who know more about this than I do right now, please reply with answers that will help people run a delegate node in Windows.

Thanks.

Kindest Regards,
-F