Author Topic: Explore the mysteries of the block format at bitblockexplorer.com  (Read 1129 times)

Offline svk

Yep as Xeroc said my site works using the RPC api to extract the data which is then saved in my own database for easier processing. I would love to have a real blockchain parser though, but I'm not sure I could code one myself as I'm not really well versed in Python and can only read C++.

Anyway good job, looking forward to seeing the documentation!
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
awesome .. /me wants to know more!

so you actually have a question or is this just an informational thread?

btw, the other block explorer is bitsharesblocks.com and works indeed using the RPC interface.

Offline theoretical

I'm very slowly working on the bounty for documenting the blockchain format.

In order for me to be sure I understand it, I'm writing a parser for the raw block format in Python.  You can see it in action at http://bitblockexplorer.com:8888/block/55555?format=html+hex

The website is obviously very raw and untested.  There is absolutely no processing of transactions or signatures.  Someone else has a better blockchain website (I can't remember the URL offhand), and there is of course a block explorer in the client code.

But I think all of them work internally by calling into the JSON-RPC API of the client.  The internal setup of bitblockexplorer.com is a little different -- I communicate "at arms' length" with the BitShares client by using the chain server protocol to download the raw binary block data, which I then parse into a database.
BTS- theoretical / PTS- PZxpdC8RqWsdU3pVJeobZY7JFKVPfNpy5z / BTC- 1NfGejohzoVGffAD1CnCRgo9vApjCU2viY / the delegate formerly known as drltc / Nothing said on these forums is intended to be legally binding / All opinions are my own unless otherwise noted / Take action due to my posts at your own risk