Author Topic: Advice, Tutorials and General References for Newbies  (Read 13196 times)

Offline Thom

I hear a number of terms thrown around here and I just looked for a glossary or dictionary but didn't find either on this forum. So I went out and googled and couldn't find a concise definition for "snapshot" related to blockchain technology either.

I get the general concept of snapshot as a "moment in time", like a picture of motion is, but I don't understand the concept in terms of the blockchains discussed here. It's almost always used in a context of looking forward to some release of a DAC for example.

I understand AGS & PTS are PoW blockchains and DACs are not, being based on PoS. I just don't get why a frozen ledger (blockchain) relates to a future DAC.

So you have PTS (I'll overlook AGS for the moment but I believe it's the same in this context) being traded, the owners of which get a stake in the new DAC. So is the "snapshot" just to capture who (i.e. account public keys) has PTS shares so those accounts can be credited with their portion of upcoming DAC shares?

There was one other definition I needed: airdrop What does it mean?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 08:56:55 pm by Thom »
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline Freeman

• View Profile
 +5%

I am newbie here ,thanks for the info.

Offline cusknee

• View Profile
  • BitShares: cusknee

Offline jdwBSXForum

• View Profile
Hi, Can anyone tell me where I can find out what the "tabs" on the left and across the top of the BitShares software do?

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
Thanks a lot, it's a great place to start!

Charles Hoskinson's video is not on Youtube anymore or at least the link is not working for me (video unavailable). Still more than enough to read and watch even without it  ;)

Dan larimer's last's videos and interviews are far more interresting.Find them!  :)

Offline bcurdy

• View Profile
Thanks a lot, it's a great place to start!

Charles Hoskinson's video is not on Youtube anymore or at least the link is not working for me (video unavailable). Still more than enough to read and watch even without it  ;)

Offline crypto-master

• View Profile
Thanks great article for newbies like myself.

Offline barwizi

• Noirbits, NoirShares, NoirEx.....lol, noir anyone?
    • View Profile
    • Noirbitstalk.org
If you have questions or need help put in a ticket on helpdesk, you'll be noticed faster.
--Bar--  PiNEJGUv4AZVZkLuF6hV4xwbYTRp5etWWJ

The magical land of crypto, no freebies people.

Offline fishrat

• View Profile

Offline free2be

• View Profile
thanks man that is fantastic found it, the only thing the node didn't work but now i can look for more nodes till i find one that woks.

Can this qt client on mac be used for mining pools? and if yes how?

Offline barwizi

• Noirbits, NoirShares, NoirEx.....lol, noir anyone?
    • View Profile
    • Noirbitstalk.org
go to help>debug> console

Code: [Select]
addnode 168.63.12.227 add
--Bar--  PiNEJGUv4AZVZkLuF6hV4xwbYTRp5etWWJ

The magical land of crypto, no freebies people.

Offline free2be

• View Profile
Hi everyone,

I'm new, just got the wallet for mac qt but can't get it to connect to blocksource I read the post but can't get the config file (find it)  or get the command line to work any video or something explaining it to a regular guy. Thanks.

Offline dalonggreat

• View Profile
[BTC] 1JKrPsvpf2bRko5Q7Wy8kcVXUfVmEYh9R3
[PTS] PpJYP4dki3kHpP2eCrE1NEcSu433ZQQ5sp

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
Thank you for your work.

General criticism; and please keep in mind that I have this criticism of most ~qt wallets, e.g. the Bitcoin wallet and most other cryptocurrency ~qt clients could improve this way: they could come quite a ways out of "cheat codes" (low accessibility to general users) territory.

IMO, re the protoshares-qt client, it would be best to:
1) Ask users upon first launch if they would like to either generate a wallet (if one is not found) OR load an existing wallet; and if they do the latter, remember the location of that wallet (even if that means a specific setting for that in the conf. file). Included with this (IMO) should be an option to not generate a wallet.
2) By default, warn users if a wallet is unencrypted; point them to how to encrypt it. Include an option to shut off this "nag" warning.
3) Specifically urge users to securely store (write down or keep in an encrypted file, etc.) their password upon encryption (a boogedy-boo warning about losing coins just isn't enough--too many folks probably just wouldn't think "Oh, yeah, I should write that down somewhere, in case I die and my children need to inherit my wealth," etc.)
4) (Along some of the lines you say here) Include links to the most brief/best educational resources about everything PTC possible
(and (5) have a consolidated page with said educational resources. A forum is *not* sufficient for that, IMO. Forums are too much for the people who read cheat codes; less accessible)

A possible issue with the qt client: even though I clicked "mine 3 processes" from the Settings menu, and after a wait, the infotip over the mining icon (in the lower right of the GUI) said it was mining, and gave a collision rate--even after that, when I typed getmininginfo in the console,* it said 0 collisions; but after I typed either "setgenerate true 1" (or maybe it was just "setgenerate true--" I don't know which worked), and then waited and then ran getmininginfo again, it reported a collision rate.

*Your average user is not going to want to touch a console (or even know how); a lot of useful information and functionality could be abstracted from the console (invoke the same functions), but be accessible from the user interface/buttons.

Great points.  We (and this community) have a lot of work to do in this area.  Its kind of like colonizing a new planet.  The accommodations are a bit austere for a while.   :)

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline bytemaster

Could an admin or someone else help Stan provide links to his references?
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.