Author Topic: Ripple has overtaken Litecoin  (Read 3844 times)

Offline Markus

• View Profile

Oh, OK, guess I was making this too hard.

So, really on coinmarketcap.com they should be quoting BTSX, not BitsharesX, and XRP, not ripple?

As BitsharesX and Ripple are just platforms, and it is the currency BTSX and XRP that is trading and being quoted.

Brent Allsop

Bitcoin itself has the same differentiation but it's less obvious in wording. There's the protocol and the coin. One is spelt with a capital "B" and one with a small one. I forgot which is which though :)

Offline vegolino

• Reality is Information
    • View Profile
In the right hand corner on coinmarketcap.com click View All and you will see Symbol column where BTSX and XRP are displayed.
aloha  :)

Offline Brent.Allsop

• View Profile
    • Canonizer.com

Oh, OK, guess I was making this too hard.

So, really on coinmarketcap.com they should be quoting BTSX, not BitsharesX, and XRP, not ripple?

As BitsharesX and Ripple are just platforms, and it is the currency BTSX and XRP that is trading and being quoted.

Brent Allsop

Offline Riverhead

But it doesn't answer what I'm trying to ask, what are the mechanical, computational, definitional differences between BitsharesX and BTSX?

BitSharesX = Bter or BTC-e only built on a blockchain.

BTSX = BTC = LTC - The "coin".

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
BitsharesX mainly sends asset BTSX to receiver.BTSX is the main currency.

Ripple sends  "I owe you" to other gateway then let the gateway send fiat or other asset to the receiver . "I owe you" is the main currency and it's worthless without the acceptance of counterpart gateway.
Meanwhile,XRP is used in every "I owe you" transaction as fee,but not much.

So,XRP is not  like BTSX.
I finally understand .. thanks ..

xeroc must be swifter than I, as I still don't get it.

Could you guys describe the difference between BitsharesX and BTSX with a bit more mechanical details?
Also, "xrp", is the same things as what is being quoted on coinmarketcap.com as "ripple" right?

Put simply, if the 50th biggest bank in US starts accepting exchanging 1 bitUSD for 1 USD it will mean BTSX market cap will be 10s of billions of $$$.

Thanks tonyk,  That's an exciting fact, great to know.  My question had nothing to do with BitUSD or USD, which I mostly understand.  But it doesn't answer what I'm trying to ask, what are the mechanical, computational, definitional differences between BitsharesX and BTSX?
I do not know what are you trying to ask. BitsharesX  is the platform, BTSX is the currency (but I, for example, use  BTSX  for both). BTSX are the shares in a company(DAC) called  BitsharesX . 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 09:45:12 pm by tonyk »
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline Brent.Allsop

• View Profile
    • Canonizer.com

Ripple sends  "I owe you" to other gateway then let the gateway send fiat or other asset to the receiver . "I owe you" is the main currency and it's worthless without the acceptance of counterpart gateway.

Could you guys describe the difference between BitsharesX and BTSX with a bit more mechanical details?
Also, "xrp", is the same things as what is being quoted on coinmarketcap.com as "ripple" right?

Put simply, if the 50th biggest bank in US starts accepting exchanging 1 bitUSD for 1 USD it will mean BTSX market cap will be 10s of billions of $$$.

Thanks tonyk,  That's an exciting fact, great to know.  My question had nothing to do with BitUSD or USD, which I mostly understand.  But it doesn't answer what I'm trying to ask, what are the mechanical, computational, definitional differences between BitsharesX and BTSX?

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 09:28:32 pm by tonyk »
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline Brent.Allsop

• View Profile
    • Canonizer.com

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I understand .. thanks for the detailed explanation +5%

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH

The "I owe you" does exist in BitSharesX too .. it's jsut at a different place .. namely at the shorteres that owe the network a bitUSD or any other asset .. However(!!) .. they give up a security TO the network .. that may be the biggest difference in both systems ..

do you agree?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 07:09:13 pm by xeroc »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
replace 'bank' with "(volumen of) all bitAssets" .. and we are back to
Ripple <=> BitSharesX
XRP <=> BTSX

what am I missing here?

38PTSWarrior

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
From Wikipedia
Ripple is a payment system, currency exchange and remittance network by Ripple Labs. It is built upon a distributed, open source internet protocol, consensus ledger and native currency called ripples (XRP).

For me that states:
Ripple <=> BitSharesX
XRP <=> BTSX

Is that about correct?

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
When will btsx does this feat? Once investors have a clear path to different BitAssets available in X , it will be a helluva ride. :)

ripple can easily overtake BTC if it changes its supply again....

+5% +5% +5%

Offline kisa

• View Profile
When will btsx does this feat? Once investors have a clear path to different BitAssets available in X , it will be a helluva ride. :)

ripple can easily overtake BTC if it changes its supply again....

Exactly. Ripple has 99 billion units.

well, not quite as big as BTC... at current valuation even with the whole supply 100bn x 0.0054 USD = 500m USD

recent XRP rally (+10-12% and decent volume 1m USD per day) mainly due to the news of cooperation between RippleLabs and City National Bank (50th biggest in the US). Also the mickey mouse Fidor bank of Gemany making some progress with Ripple integration.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 02:44:20 pm by kisa0145 »