Author Topic: Big Bitshares marketing push?  (Read 6056 times)

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
If we had launched our marketing push into this Bitcoin depression it would have failed completely. Phew! Now we can time it pitch perfectly.

Offline johncitizen

• View Profile
I can assure you all, it's moving forward.  We need to time this correctly with all the work the dev team is doing to fix bugs, iron out bitUSD, and update the GUI (a huge project in itself). Bytemaster asked us to pump the brakes a bit on it as this is going on...  The marketing side is also quite complex on the back end, but is nearing completion.  Please be patient, there's absolutely no reason me or any of us would want to delay it a day longer than necessary....  :)  B

Thank you Brian,

Understanding it is moving forward but can we get a brief outline of the marketing plan ahead, just something basic info? I have read and listened to all the soundcloud clips but cannot piece together a clear path. Investors have abundant resources to sift through regarding code product but not marketing plans.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
I was introduced to Bitcoin by Yahoo! News, how about everyone else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard, Ned! Murderistic, people are funneling our way already. :)

Offline nedscott

• View Profile
I was introduced to Bitcoin by Yahoo! News, how about everyone else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Murderistic

• View Profile
It will be soon, devs are getting started on coding the funnel we designed. The other part of this is making sure the UI for the software is redone.  It will be hard to keep people using it if it is not user friendly and intuitive.  Our goal is to bring this to NON crypto folks out there, versus those us us already in the know.  The pool is MUCH larger by targeting them versus crypto crowd, as Stan and Brian have discussed in other threads.

While I agree it would have been really nice to ride that wave, logistically it wasn't possible.  And this will create a wave of it's own that is much larger if it all goes as it should.

Offline Riverhead

That's my point though. They weren't the first by a long shot.

They also didn't have the most feature rich device (still don't) but what they do have is really polished.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 11:51:24 pm by Riverhead »

Offline James212

• View Profile
Something to keep in mind that Peter Thiel always talks about:

"It's better to be last and right; than first and wrong."

Apple is a prime example of this. Like them or not their is no arguing with their success.

If you are talking about iPhone, I think Apple at this point is relying more on their first mover advantage than anything else.  Their execution, though not bad, as failed to really impress for years now.  However their first mover status firmly established back in 2007 is still reaping them rewards today.   Something to consider. 

Written by a devout iPhone user  :)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 11:54:13 pm by James212 »
BTS: theangelwaveproject

Offline oldman

• View Profile
I understand and like your thinking from the "A" side of the coin.  Let me provide some counter perspective (just to keep in mind):    All of these projects are essentially open source.  Anyone can take the software at any point and create there own product.  Additionally, there are many business cases where the BEST product does not necessarily "win"......(any one remember Betamax vs VHS?...probably to long ago for most :-), but there are other examples)  Thus, a big part of this competition is one of who can create the best network effect......fastest, biggest, deepest.    With open-source, marketing and consumer recognition weights quite heavily.

I do agree in principle and was definitely around for Betmax/VHS. It's also like pepsi/coke, nike/everyone else, microsoft/apple. So I completely understand where you're coming from.

Let's say someone ripped off the code and tried to push a knock-off with a killer marketing program... what would they call it?

Bitshares piggy-backing on Bitcoin is such a huge marketing advantage that even a knock-off with exactly the same feature set would have a heck of a time poaching market share.

And then... if someone were to try and snatch the code right now and try to beat Bitshares to market:

- It's not done

- No one in the world can develop faster/better than BM & Co.

- No one in the world can provide support like BM & Co.

And because the platform is constantly evolving, no one in the world can market it as quickly and effectively as Brian & Co. upon completion, because only Brian & Co. have direct access to BM & Co.

I think Bitshares enjoys one of Buffet's moats and it will be a long, long time before a competitor can build a bridge.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
Something to keep in mind that Peter Thiel always talks about:

"It's better to be last and right; than first and wrong."

Apple is a prime example of this. Like them or not their is no arguing with their success.

Apple success is hard to duplicate and also pretty time consuming:
Step one - sell to the government at inflated prices for 15 years.

As part of the government includes the public education system
Step two - teach the young minds that there is nothing better and shinier than something with an Apple logo on it.

Step 3 - Sell to the brain washed generation whatever you can come up it ("shinier is always better, and often the only quality a product needs"). At higher than the competitors prices of course.

Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline Riverhead

Events like Inside Bitcoin in a couple of weeks target exactly this first-rung. I agree about this target and also the Bitcoin devout.

Offline James212

• View Profile
I can assure you all, it's moving forward.  We need to time this correctly with all the work the dev team is doing to fix bugs, iron out bitUSD, and update the GUI (a huge project in itself). Bytemaster asked us to pump the brakes a bit on it as this is going on...  The marketing side is also quite complex on the back end, but is nearing completion.  Please be patient, there's absolutely no reason me or any of us would want to delay it a day longer than necessary....  :)  B

Awesome Brian.  Thanks for the update!

Offline James212

• View Profile
Considering the relatively small audience of the crypto world versus the majority of the market players that will be interested in BitSharesX and the other DACs that use the bitshares_toolkit I think the novelty clock hasn't started ticking yet. Sure, that new car smell has worn off for those that frequent bitcointalk but that's OK.

I think that our first-rung goal should be the "bitcoin" trend setters (i.e. the independent thinkers...  Then, we skip over the bitcoin-religious (i.e. close-minded) and go directly to the broader market.  The bitcoin faithful will come around at their own time once sandwiched by these two waves of adoption. No sense in trying to convince an audience who has already made up their mind without even any facts.  So, in my thinking the novelty benefit will certainly help in directing the crypto market's attention to achieve out first-rung goal
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 12:40:42 am by James212 »

Offline eagleeye

• View Profile

Sounds good Brian.

Offline James212

• View Profile
We have time friends.  As long as we are the innovators we may loose the initial marketing blitz hype from being new but that means if we did not keep innovating or releasing great features we would essential be a pump and dump.

We have time....maybe a month before innovators catch up to us maybe longer.

I agree, they must, keep innovating i am absolutely sure BM and his team will.    It i clear to anyone who chooses to open his eyes that Bitshares is no P&D!   However similar to the programing considerations the must be evaluated as to what must be done before launch and what can wait, a similar evaluation should be undertaken for marketing.  Of course if we decide to forfeit the novelty wave (a big forfeit) then this point is moot.   

Offline James212

• View Profile
With regard to marketing there is no need to hurry as there is no real competition to race against.

The Bitshares branding trumps all else - Nxt/Nubits/Counterparty etc. can't really compete as they have to overcome the 'what the heck is Nxt?' barrier.

Bitcoin -> Bitshares is such a huge advantage that the devs can well afford the time needed to get the platform in top shape.

I would go further and propose it is actually advantageous to lie low for a while.

The devs have received enormously valuable feedback on the market mechanics and platform.

They are incredibly nimble in adapting and capitalizing on new opportunities.

The better way to look at this situation is that every day the devs advance the platform they also realize more value for BTSX shareholders.

I understand and like your thinking from the "A" side of the coin.  Let me provide some counter perspective (just to keep in mind):    All of these projects are essentially open source.  Anyone can take the software at any point and create there own product.  Additionally, there are many business cases where the BEST product does not necessarily "win"......(any one remember Betamax vs VHS?...probably to long ago for most :-), but there are other examples)  Thus, a big part of this competition is one of who can create the best network effect......fastest, biggest, deepest.    With open-source, marketing and consumer recognition weights quite heavily.