Author Topic: Balance missing because of old wallet file  (Read 18078 times)

Offline vikram

I made a market order today and now I'm missing a large portion of my balance.

I followed the above directions and now in wallet_account_balance there is an account without a registered name just BTSXBvBzmZE..... and it contains my missing balance.

How do I retrieve this?  It not an account listed under "My Accounts" and the address doesn't match any that I created.

wallet_market_order_list USD BTS only shows an order I currently have open(not missing), nothing else.

Also when I do a rescan it gets to about 30% and I get "Failure during transaction scanning"

If it shows up like that under wallet_account_balance, it means you have the private key for it--just your wallet has become inconsistent and it is not associated with a particular account. I will look at why this happened.

There are probably some convoluted ways of recovering this right now--for example you could export a backup, then manually edit the backup's entry for that key to point the account_address at one of your accounts. But I will see if I can add a command in the next version that will allow easily collecting "orphaned" balances like this.

Do you remember what exact steps you took with the market order that made the balance go missing?

Its hard to say.  I didn't notice it until later.

My wallet has other issues like the transaction history has not been visible in gui since 0.4.16
console 'history xeldal'  shows transactions from 07-19 as the first in the list with a negative balance
then after 8-09 it skips to 11-14(today)  I've definitely made transactions between then and now.

the balance shows negative for all transactions incrementing negatively by .5 BTS until I canceled a market order today and the balance increases correctly by the amount canceled.
None of the balances are correct for this accounts history.

Heres what I remember of the process:
I installed 0.4.24 yesterday?
this morning? client requested an update. I clicked ok. (it spammed this message about 100 times over night)
Closed the client.
Clicked the desktop BitSharesX Icon
It doesn't see my wallet because it askes me to create a new one(evidently icon is linked to the BitsharesX.exe instead of Bitshares.exe)
I re-installed from original download.
clicked check for updates (oddly there aren't any)
I then immediately go to MARKET and start placing orders, client may have been in the process of doing a rescan or some other process (I don't remember)
I place several orders not waiting for 1 to complete before placing the next, and the next (didn't think this would cause issue)
I also canceled quite a few orders that mostly filled but had little bits left over (.95 BTS , .54 BTS , .53 BTS etc)
Then on returning to MY ACCOUNTS I notice balance is much lower than it should be.

I can send you any outputs you might find useful.

There is little we can do about that messed up transaction history right now; it will look better when the scanning code is finished being rewritten.

There's a lot going on here to try to track down what happened. I'll give it some thought.

I've made some more fixes that will be in v0.4.25 to help prevent more of this kind of thing, and also to recover orphaned balances like yours:
https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares/commit/12a7075d1ac2e08d494f5100e9a58cfc17d84b0d
https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares/commit/67fa61b76a6588ed8da4b07c4b6071dfc126bfe1
https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares/commit/c580c301f40578f16c55921ee21d9e02c76ff58e

Xeldal

I followed the above directions and now in wallet_account_balance there is an account without a registered name just BTSXBvBzmZE..... and it contains my missing balance.

How do I retrieve this?  It not an account listed under "My Accounts" and the address doesn't match any that I created.

wallet_market_order_list USD BTS only shows an order I currently have open(not missing), nothing else.

Also when I do a rescan it gets to about 30% and I get "Failure during transaction scanning"

If it shows up like that under wallet_account_balance, it means you have the private key for it--just your wallet has become inconsistent and it is not associated with a particular account. I will look at why this happened.

There are probably some convoluted ways of recovering this right now--for example you could export a backup, then manually edit the backup's entry for that key to point the account_address at one of your accounts. But I will see if I can add a command in the next version that will allow easily collecting "orphaned" balances like this.

Do you remember what exact steps you took with the market order that made the balance go missing?

Its hard to say.  I didn't notice it until later.

My wallet has other issues like the transaction history has not been visible in gui since 0.4.16
console 'history xeldal'  shows transactions from 07-19 as the first in the list with a negative balance
then after 8-09 it skips to 11-14(today)  I've definitely made transactions between then and now.

the balance shows negative for all transactions incrementing negatively by .5 BTS until I canceled a market order today and the balance increases correctly by the amount canceled.
None of the balances are correct for this accounts history.

Heres what I remember of the process:
I installed 0.4.24 yesterday?
this morning? client requested an update. I clicked ok. (it spammed this message about 100 times over night)
Closed the client.
Clicked the desktop BitSharesX Icon
It doesn't see my wallet because it askes me to create a new one(evidently icon is linked to the BitsharesX.exe instead of Bitshares.exe)
I re-installed from original download.
clicked check for updates (oddly there aren't any)
I then immediately go to MARKET and start placing orders, client may have been in the process of doing a rescan or some other process (I don't remember)
I place several orders not waiting for 1 to complete before placing the next, and the next (didn't think this would cause issue)
I also canceled quite a few orders that mostly filled but had little bits left over (.95 BTS , .54 BTS , .53 BTS etc)
Then on returning to MY ACCOUNTS I notice balance is much lower than it should be.

I can send you any outputs you might find useful.

Offline vikram

There are probably some convoluted ways of recovering this right now--for example you could export a backup, then manually edit the backup's entry for that key to point the account_address at one of your accounts. But I will see if I can add a command in the next version that will allow easily collecting "orphaned" balances like this: https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares/issues/985

« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 09:56:48 pm by vikram »

Xeldal

Offline Spratan

• View Profile
I can't transfer my whole balance because I have orders pending and I can't cancel them !

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Why do I need to transfer them ?
if you move your assets once you take them out of the 'special' market transaction addresses .. they are then traditional transaction addresses and the keys can be derived from the account-key only!

older versions of the wallet required a different key to access market transaction balances ..

Offline Spratan

• View Profile
It worked ! My balance is ok at the 6th step.
My coins have been missing for 3 months.

Why do I need to transfer them ?

Offline vikram

please see here the original thread, Vikram...
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=8371.msg114079#msg114079

to briefly summarize - on september 8th i bought 1000 bitUSD and left some market orders. later that day my windows crashed and i had to run system recovery. unfortunately i only had old wallet backup. all my market transactions and orders of September 8th show outflows to unknown, so i am missing some 120K BTSX and 1000bitUSD in my balance. xeroc kindly posted this issue on https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares_toolkit/issues/769

Pretty much in the same spot. Got about 1000BitUSD and 60KBTSX not showing up in my total. What I'd like to know if they went to collateral or if they will at some point be recovered.

I have not forgotten about these issues; I will be looking into them.

Thanks Vikram. Would such issues still be worked on if the merger happens?

Yes, I will address as many issues as I can regardless of any DAC merges.

I have started rewriting some of the key (re)generating code. I suspect your wallet(s) somehow got into an inconsistent state where the current version of wallet_regenerate_keys won't properly regenerate everything. My updates won't make it into the next release (0.4.21), but when the changes are ready we will see if hopefully you can regenerate the proper keys to unlock your funds.

v0.4.24 is out (https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares/releases/tag/v0.4.24) which finally has some updates to the wallet key handling and regeneration.

kisa and bitmeat if you are still missing funds, try the following steps exactly as I've written them:
  • Make sure you have the wallet or wallet backup of the wallet you originally used for the market orders that you are missing funds from.
  • Open the wallet (or restore the backup) with v0.4.24.
  • Unlock the wallet if you haven't already.
  • Make a new backup of the wallet that we will restore to later.
  • We will now regenerate a large number of keys. This will make the wallet slow afterwards, so after we are done we will restore from the most recent backup.
  • Use the command "wallet_regenerate_keys <account_name> 11000", replacing <account_name> with your relevant account name. This will take some time to generate all those keys and then rescan the blockchain.
  • Check "wallet_account_balance". Does that balance include your missing funds now?
  • Check "wallet_account_order_list". Do you have any orders which you weren't able to access before?
  • If you are able to access any missing funds, it's easiest to just transfer your entire balance back to yourself.
  • Restore the backup we created in step (4) and if you transferred any new funds back to yourself, it should show up as an incoming transaction and you should be able to access those funds now.

Let me know if this helps anyone.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 07:30:43 pm by vikram »

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
Now if we can increase those amounts 10 folds, for bitmeat only, then we will have a  feature preventing dumping....

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=10473.msg139126#msg139126

Yup. Bitshares is really good at keeping you locked in. And it's for your own good. It's like a CD account with unknown terms. One day you realize you have a fortune!

But to date, the new versions won't even open my wallet, they just crash. :)

With that said, I don't know where you draw conclusions that I am dumping or anything like that. It was a joke.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

to briefly summarize - on september 8th i bought 1000 bitUSD and left some market orders. later that day my windows crashed and i had to run system recovery. unfortunately i only had old wallet backup. all my market transactions and orders of September 8th show outflows to unknown, so i am missing some 120K BTSX and 1000bitUSD in my balance. xeroc kindly posted this issue on https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares_toolkit/issues/769

Pretty much in the same spot. Got about 1000BitUSD and 60KBTSX not showing up in my total. What I'd like to know if they went to collateral or if they will at some point be recovered.

Now if we can increase those amounts 10 folds, for bitmeat only, then we will have a  feature preventing dumping....

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=10473.msg139126#msg139126
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 07:34:50 am by tonyk »
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline Mysto

• View Profile
i am not panicking - and thanks for replies.

Oh no I didn't mean you. I meant anyone who is having this problem right now. I assume you resolved it by now.
Sorry for the confusion  :)

Offline kisa

• View Profile
i am not panicking - and thanks for replies.

Offline Mysto

• View Profile
Hi Vikram, just an update - no change yet with wallet_regenerate_keys within 0.4.20

Can you describe your situation like PTSWarrior did here: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=9194.msg121778#msg121778

PTSWarrior, were you able to recover your funds?

The exact same thing just happened to me.
Some advise if this happens to you DON'T PANIC!
I was typing in commands pressing enter and waiting 2 seconds and if it didn't work I would close the wallet and restart. Just be patient! The wallet is a little bulky right now so just chill and follow this http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/RecoveringFunds and it'll probably work out if you backed it up and all.

Offline vikram

I have not forgotten about these issues; I will be looking into them.

Yes, I will address as many issues as I can regardless of any DAC merges.

I have started rewriting some of the key (re)generating code. I suspect your wallet(s) somehow got into an inconsistent state where the current version of wallet_regenerate_keys won't properly regenerate everything. My updates won't make it into the next release (0.4.21), but when the changes are ready we will see if hopefully you can regenerate the proper keys to unlock your funds.

Offline kisa

• View Profile